LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
This is always going to be a pissing contest, let me tell you what I think. I have been averse to Apple forever, hate the way they are restrictive, expensive and some would say elitist, I love windows, Microsoft and Google even though Google wants to know even more about you than Apple, have worked with Works, Office,Excell etc for nearly 30 years, and like many people am averse to change, HOWEVER, have spoken to many, many people about Android versus Apple and have yet to find a person who went from Apple to Android who DID NOT go back to Apple. I bit the bullet and for several reasons, not least of which was the problems I was experiencing with Windows and Android, got an IPhone 6 for me and the wifey and an IPad air tablet, at the moment they are working seamlessly talk to each other and are a piece of p*ss to use, I back up to a separate drive as well as the cloud so I won't lose everything and am very impressed with the products. And, I thoroughly and heartily recommend all Apple Products. They are very shiny. They are very easy to use. They are sensibly priced. They are white so will match my motorhome. ( actually, there black and don't) And, when I use them in public people will know I am a man of means, with a mind of my own, who chooses products carefully without following brand fashionistas.:xgrin::xrofl::confused::confused:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Now of they weren't so damned expensive I could be tempted.

Not that dear.... Don`t know much about puters,,, so the misses picked it out...

Main reason I wanted it for was taking photo`s.... it does but not very good ones and the lens is`nt on the front,, which is silly cos you have to stand with your back to what you want to take a photo of. and hold it above your head... :xsad:

Now the "Surface" is superb,,,, crystal clear photo`s and lens at the front and the back.. and so I have been told a big memory and loads of Gigabites.. :xThumb:

Sounds like I know what I am talking about... I dont.. :xsad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would say exactly the opposite if you buy apple you are probably a person who pays for a label rather then the product!!! I bought two ipads a while ago one stopped working after 8 months or so they wanted £25 to tell me how to get it working as it was a software issue and only 6 months software cover...don't know if its still the same.

David

I have 4 iPads in my family and 3 iPhones but I can assure you that none of us are slaves to fashion or show offs.

Why are people so narrow minded that they resort to name calling just because someone prefers one product to another?

Perhaps it says more about the name caller than the iPad user?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think if you already have an iPad it makes sense to get an iPhone and vice versa. My Android tablets, my Android phones and Chrome on my laptops communicate seamlessly, it would make no sense for me to get an Apple product..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have just realised that my iPad and iPhone are in covers that disguise what they are.

Are there any covers on the market that advertise to the world that you have Apple products?

I would hate people to think that I had anything but the best and most expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I would say exactly the opposite if you buy apple you are probably a person who pays for a label rather then the product!!! I bought two ipads a while ago one stopped working after 8 months or so they wanted £25 to tell me how to get it working as it was a software issue and only 6 months software cover...don't know if its still the same.

David

Don't know who you saw but I took my 3 year old MacBook Pro to the local Apple Store with a software issue.
Not only did they put it right but also gave me advice on how to resolve the issue, and all for free.
Not bad as the software was 3rd party and nothing to do with Apple, and I was in Spain, at the time.
Bought the MacBook Pro from John Lewis.

:cooler:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have 4 iPads in my family and 3 iPhones but I can assure you that none of us are slaves to fashion or show offs.

You say that in all honesty of course, but it's not true. We are manipulated from birth to death by the cleverest of people frying our brains.

I remember Clarkson in one of his better moments saying "If you want image then buy the M3, if you want the better car buy the Mondeo Sport".

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You say that in all honesty of course, but it's not true. We are manipulated from birth to death by the cleverest of people frying our brains.

I remember Clarkson in one of his better moments saying "If you want image then buy the M3, if you want the better car buy the Mondeo Sport".

Well I think it is true.

When I first saw the advert for an iPad I liked the look of it and went to the Apple store and bought one. I fell for the advert and the product.

Isn't that what business is about?

I don't see that implied snobbery comes into it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I fell for the advert and the product.

And when they came out they were streets ahead, you made the right choice.

Not any more, many of the Android tabs will be made in the same Chinese factories using the same Chinese chips.

Now the choice is Apple behaving like Nazi thugs telling you what you can and can't do with what you have paid for and it seems doing very naughty things you are not supposed to see. Latest is blocking anyone but themselves selling you music isn't it ?

Or Android. Letting you screw up your tab if you want to, you have choice.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
People keep telling me that they can do things with an Android device that I can't do with an Apple device, but never anything specific.

So go on, be specific and tell what you can do with Android that I can't do with Apple!

Assuming of course it's something I would want to do in the first place.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
And when they came out they were streets ahead, you made the right choice.

Not any more, many of the Android tabs will be made in the same Chinese factories using the same Chinese chips.

Now the choice is Apple behaving like Nazi thugs telling you what you can and can't do with what you have paid for and it seems doing very naughty things you are not supposed to see. Latest is blocking anyone but themselves selling you music isn't it ?

Or Android. Letting you screw up your tab if you want to, you have choice.

And putting up with ( perceived) shit, makes you a snob?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I liked my Google Nexus 7 until the software was updated to the latest version, Lollipop. It is now so slow it is almost unusable. Hopefully, Google will sort it out and indeed there is an update available (5.01) but only for the latest versions of the Nexus 7, mine is too old it seems. But I don't think Google are alone in doing this type of snafu so I wouldn't single them out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
People keep telling me that they can do things with an Android device that I can't do with an Apple device, but never anything specific.

On Android I could write a motorhome specific App, like Grommet is doing, and give it to you and you could run it. Apple will not let you.

Are there not limitations about which music you can play ?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
On Android I could write a motorhome specific App, like Grommet is doing, and give it to you and you could run it. Apple will not let you.

Are there not limitations about which music you can play ?

I did say assuming I would want to. I suppose I could, if I knew how, write software for iOS on my OS x and submit it to Apple for consideration. Thousands do just that, as the amount of free apps on iOS, testifies.

Their are no limitations to music, or movies, or TV shows etc, that I can pass between platforms or devices, or even download onto devices.
The only limitation is format, but conversion is easy enough.

I thought some one was going to come up with something really good and make me want an Android device.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Some months ago I was on a campsite with a lady who had an Ipad.

It became stuck with a particular message on it and she could not get it to work. She asked me for help.

Now, I have a lifetime of experience in computers but little with Apple so was not familiar with her machine, and none of the obvious things worked.

So using a windows machine and google search products I was able to find out how the machine could be reset - which I did for her. And I got the machine working.

There seemed some irony in that I had to use a combination of google and Microsoft products to get the Apple product to work!!!!!

My view - My house is an apple free zone and this will continue. They are good pieces of hardware but overpriced and far too proprietary. Even the power supply sockets are non standard (ie just for apple!) and so is much of the software. eg you have to use iTunes whether you want to or not. I prefer machines that I can use my way - not dictated by the suppliers.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Some months ago I was on a campsite with a lady who had an Ipad.

It became stuck with a particular message on it and she could not get it to work. She asked me for help.

Now, I have a lifetime of experience in computers but little with Apple so was not familiar with her machine, and none of the obvious things worked.

So using a windows machine and google search products I was able to find out how the machine could be reset - which I did for her. And I got the machine working.

There seemed some irony in that I had to use a combination of google and Microsoft products to get the Apple product to work!!!!!

My view - My house is an apple free zone and this will continue. They are good pieces of hardware but overpriced and far too proprietary. Even the power supply sockets are non standard (ie just for apple!) and so is much of the software. eg you have to use iTunes whether you want to or not. I prefer machines that I can use my way - not dictated by the suppliers.

I have had that.

Remedy is to shut down and restart.

Never had a more complicated remedy and certainly never needed Google to solve it.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have had that.

Remedy is to shut down and restart.

Never had a more complicated remedy and certainly never needed Google to solve it.

I had to do a hard reset which required a particular combination of 3 keys to be pressed. There was no way that anyone would just know how to do this without being told or reading it somewhere.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had to do a hard reset which required a particular combination of 3 keys to be pressed. There was no way that anyone would just know how to do this without being told or reading it somewhere.

not if you didn't own an iPad , no.:xrofl:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds like the fix for my problem the one apple wanted to charge me for to sort out their software glitch!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A bit off topic, but I must say it

Envy is Ugly.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I really think this thread has run its course. It is getting to the snide remarks stage, soon to be followed by the downright abuse if we are all not careful.

The only thing that can be said is that some people like the fruit and other people like the robot. Neither of those two groups are right or wrong, or clever or stupid, or envious or jealous, or rich or poor or good or bad.

Let's all start a chorus of Ebony and Ivory to sign out ..................

Love and kisses to all

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My daughter recently changed from an iphone 4 to 6, when I asked her why she didn't get an android she said that none of the songs or films she had bought on the phone, could be transferred to any other device but an Apple device. So she either got another Iphone or lost them. Is this not true?

Ian

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
My daughter recently changed from an iphone 4 to 6, when I asked her why she didn't get an android she said that none of the songs or films she had bought on the phone, could be transferred to any other device but an Apple device. So she either got another Iphone or lost them. Is this not true?

Ian

You can take any music from your iTunes and place it onto your desk top it can then be transferred to any device you care to connect to your computer.

If it's in an unrecognised format for your device, there are plenty of conversion tools available.

So no it's not true.

What you can't do is connect your iphone to just any computer and transfer direct, you need to do it via the itunes account you normally sync your iphone to.

You can of course get iPhone ripping software which does allow you to transfer iPhone content direct to your computer, without using iTunes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Ian

I will guess that your daughter also used tunes for syncing and backup, so the simple answer seems to be yes you can transfer stuff from your itunes account.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

of course she might just want an iphone 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back