Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Since our motorhome we have managed with a 300watt inverter but I am finding it more and more difficult to walk anywhere when away in the camper,I’ve now bought a power chair to travel with so bring a numpty I hav’nt got a clue which sized inverter I need and as I’l probably go to the Lincoln show if any one can help with the size I need it would be greatly appreciated.The chair is a 24volt 12 amp lithium battery and below is a picture of the charger.

IMG_1676.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
1.2A at 230V is 276Watts so you would be getting close to your 300Watts. Is your inverter a pure sine wave one? If not it might worth getting one that is and has a little more capacity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Thanks the one I’ve got is’nt a pure sine wave,I’l see what’s available at the show.the one I’ve got is about 18years old and over the years it’s been hardwired to batteries clipped and it’s now just on a cigarette lighter plug for charging phones

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
It may have a bearing on the inverter, but what leisure batteries do you have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
You need to be aware that a more powerful inverter connected to 12V via a standard cigarette lighter type socket may blow the fuse supplying it if used to its full capacity for multiple chargers, and ideally should be permanently wired to the leisure batteries via heavier cables and a suitable fuse.

If you decided to do this it might be worth going for a 1000W inverter as you could also use that for an electric travel kettle. We find that much quicker and more convenient than boiling a kettle on the gas ring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion

You need to be aware that a more powerful inverter connected to 12V via a standard cigarette lighter type socket may blow the fuse supplying it if used to its full capacity for multiple chargers, and ideally should be permanently wired to the leisure batteries via heavier cables and a suitable fuse.

If you decided to do this it might be worth going for a 1000W inverter as you could also use that for an electric travel kettle. We find that much quicker and more convenient than boiling a kettle on the gas ring.

We’re on our way back to Lincolnshire today so will have a look at Lincoln motorhome show and see if anyone’s fitting inverters the 1000 watt one does seem the better option,We have to be a bit frugal with power usage as our fridge is Compressor and the van is only fitted with the equipment it came with,100 amp solar 2o amp bat to bat and 10 amp mppt controller😎

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
We’re on our way back to Lincolnshire today so will have a look at Lincoln motorhome show and see if anyone’s fitting inverters the 1000 watt one does seem the better option,We have to be a bit frugal with power usage as our fridge is Compressor and the van is only fitted with the equipment it came with,100 amp solar 2o amp bat to bat and 10 amp mppt controller😎
Inverters can be very useful, and it is nice to be able to use normal stuff from home.
The problem with them is whatever you use, has to be replenished, so the system would ideally be balanced.
100w Solar and 20amp b2b isn't a great deal, so I wouldn't go too mad on inverter size!
Of course you can fit a big inverter, intending not to use the full capacity, but at some stage you will! Also the bigger the inverter the more it will use on standby if you leave it on.
If you look at Victron, bare in mind they use VA rather than watts to rate their output - Whilst its the most accurate method you should consider that 500VA will be roughly about 400w - I wont go into why there's a difference but it's due to the "power factor" of the device being used.

We have Victron kit, the inverter is good in that it is quite efficient, and can be set to have a very low standby power consumption, and the Pure Sine wave is apparently pretty accurate.

Good at the show!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Inverters can be very useful, and it is nice to be able to use normal stuff from home.
The problem with them is whatever you use, has to be replenished, so the system would ideally be balanced.
100w Solar and 20amp b2b isn't a great deal, so I wouldn't go too mad on inverter size!
Of course you can fit a big inverter, intending not to use the full capacity, but at some stage you will! Also the bigger the inverter the more it will use on standby if you leave it on.
If you look at Victron, bare in mind they use VA rather than watts to rate their output - Whilst its the most accurate method you should consider that 500VA will be roughly about 400w - I wont go into why there's a difference but it's due to the "power factor" of the device being used.

We have Victron kit, the inverter is good in that it is quite efficient, and can be set to have a very low standby power consumption, and the Pure Sine wave is apparently pretty accurate.

Good at the show!
We very rarely go on hookup so I’l probably have more solar and a bigger b to b fitted in the near future.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
That being the case, it may be worth while going for a bigger inverter that will run a kettle/toaster. Stick to a sensible size like 1000-1500W and that will cover most stuff.
Yes agreed. We find our air fryer a bit of a game changer but that takes 1500W so we can only use it on EHU at the moment. I would need to upgrade our 1000W Renogy invertor to the 2000W version to use the air fryer off grid.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back