Insurers for 7.5 ton + recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
As per title - which insurers will provide cover for high value vehicles over 7.5 tons?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NFU do insure a lot of high value vans but they usually requires you to already have business with them already, house car etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
NFU do insure a lot of high value vans but they usually requires you to already have business with them already, house car etc.
That wasn't a condition for our's .. in fact we were living in the RV full time which they were aware of

Louth office are recommended for large motorhomes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Try AIB, they have connections with many underwriters and can often help where others can't. When I needed business and towing use on a motorhome, they were the only ones who could find me cover.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ironically NFU won't cover our house, even though its one of the technologies that is considered sustainable etc, many of the insurers consider it nonstandard construction, Sips with a galvanised steel roof.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
As per title - which insurers will provide cover for high value vehicles over 7.5 tons?
Believe it or not you not the first person the think of asking this questions.
If you search on this forum about insurance you'll discover multiple threads asking the same questions.
If you search, Jim started a thread asking people "who they are insured with" to gather a list of insurers.
The issue with insurance is every insurance situation is unique.
An insurer may provide cover for John Doe living in Southend with a 7.5t, £250k motorhome today but
if John Doe rang tomorrow they may not.
I was informed by a 30 independence insurance broker, insurers generally have a risk profile to fill and once
filled they stop.
The only way to find out if an insurer will insure "you" is to ask them, and even if they say yes that yes probably
has a "shelfife".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That wasn't a condition for our's .. in fact we were living in the RV full time which they were aware of

Louth office are recommended for large motorhomes

I believe that they have got a bit more picky the last few years as the price of some vans has sky rocketed, a new Morelo or Concorde will be £300k + now, when they quoted us they didn't require a tracker but by the time we took out the policy they did I also know a few people with vans of this value who have been refused cover, re any particular office being better I asked this question in our local office and the answer was that it all has to go through the same underwriter so it should not make any difference but yes the decision can be influenced by what the local office proposes ie additional business stress the tracker and alarm etc but postcode and storage location comes into the equation as well.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The Spalding branch was never a problem but as you say Martin since the price hike in values they do load up the policy’s on vans North of £150K

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
but postcode and storage location comes into the equation as well.
Certainly does, if I stored our £68k Kon-Tiki on the road (WD24) near our house it would be £700, but it's storing in a secure compound, EN7 5HW so £1,500.
EN7 5HW is a high risk post code, actual location in a locked controlled access compound ignored.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Certainly does, if I stored our £68k Kon-Tiki on the road (WD24) near our house it would be £700, but it's storing in a secure compound, EN7 5HW so £1,500.
EN7 5HW is a high risk post code, actual location in a locked controlled access compound ignored.
Nobody ever said it made sense ;) :LOL:

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S

Nobody ever said it made sense ;) :LOL:
Came to that conclusion years ago, Oh and I'm paying £950 storage to increase my insurance by £800.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ours went up whilst stored away from our home in a Cassoa approved facility 😳

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I will update if anything proceeds. Being careful as there is a specific vehicle I'm looking at.
You can get some serious bargains once you get over 7.5t. An awful lot of motorhome for your money, frequently well loaded with extras

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
And the first proposal came in at .......

£2863 AXA policy via Adrian Flux

With a £3000 excess

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Update

Comfort won't touch due to value.

NFU Louth say they ran a campaign years ago promoting motorhome insurance and they got listed on many forums. They aren't interested in motorhome insurance for new clients. I queried do you mean branch or company and she replied company!

I went on line and first advert is for NFU motorhome insurance. Rang number and spent 45 minutes going through details - got a verbal quote of £1972 subject to underwriter approval. 40 minutes later called back to say underwriter wasn't keen but go direct to branch/agent and they will take your hand off - WTF!

Spoken to a few others, start the conversation detailing weight, model and value to avoid wasting time. 4 have then gone through a complete proposal and finish by stating - due to value we can't insure you.

Waiting for call back today from AIB.

Taken to emailing HGV insurance brokers with basic details to see if they are prepared to quote.

It's mind numbing ......

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Update

Comfort won't touch due to value.

NFU Louth say they ran a campaign years ago promoting motorhome insurance and they got listed on many forums. They aren't interested in motorhome insurance for new clients. I queried do you mean branch or company and she replied company!

I went on line and first advert is for NFU motorhome insurance. Rang number and spent 45 minutes going through details - got a verbal quote of £1972 subject to underwriter approval. 40 minutes later called back to say underwriter wasn't keen but go direct to branch/agent and they will take your hand off - WTF!

Spoken to a few others, start the conversation detailing weight, model and value to avoid wasting time. 4 have then gone through a complete proposal and finish by stating - due to value we can't insure you.

Waiting for call back today from AIB.

Taken to emailing HGV insurance brokers with basic details to see if they are prepared to quote.

It's mind numbing ......
I don't think anyone is going to try and guzump you on this one but if you don't want to be specific, can you
give a ballpark to what do you mean by high value. There are multiple A Class north of 300k out there that people
have insured. Not seen a European made @ >7.5, other than overlanders, only RV's are imported US that are not
that expensive or put another way cheaper than a new Morelo Empire.
Maybe approach a Morelo dealer as "potential" customer and ask for insurance advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I don't think anyone is going to try and guzump you on this one but if you don't want to be specific, can you
give a ballpark to what do you mean by high value. There are multiple A Class north of 300k out there that people
have insured. Not seen a European made @ >7.5, other than overlanders, only RV's are imported US that are not
that expensive or put another way cheaper than a new Morelo Empire.
Maybe approach a Morelo dealer as "potential" customer and ask for insurance advice.
I agree there are many more expensive than I am potentially buying which is why I asked the question.

It is more overlander than motorhome and valued at £200k+.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back