Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I have had a bad year for insurance, in October I had a mishap on a campsite damaging part of their installation , then my wife wrote off our car in November. I am over 82 years of age and have struggled to find any insurer on the comparison websites with the only quote at £10100!. I have e zero years NCB BTW, No, I have not put in too many zeroes on the quote. I am considering my options, I am going to SORN it on 17/09/24 the day the current insurance expires so not legally required to insure thereafter until I put it back on the road.Options are.

Some times we have borrowed from one of my sons Toyota Aygo which he cover with Direct Line and that has not been an issue to date costing maybe £25 for several days. This we did when the car was written off until we acquired an olde Kia Rio of 09 vintage
1. sell the motorhome,
2 pay up,(not at that price!))
3 look at the idea of temporary cover for th period we use it but most temporary cover will not go past 75
4.Insure in the name of another son who lives at home with a clean record and then have my name added for temporary cover for the time we wish to use the MH.
Any advice please eg those you know for certain covers over 80'swith at least three claims in 5 years

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Comparison web sites are not always the best as they only use insurance companies that are prepared to pay them for the advertising. How about trying a broker or even see if Age UK has anyone advertising on their website? Unfortunately if you can get cover, it will not be cheap. Best of luck.
Sue

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Ring Grove and Dean...I had an issue with my insurance after an accident and the insurance refused to pay up. I ended up with points!!! Solicitors couldn't resolve it. Grove and Dean were really good and actually got me a reasonable price for my car insurance.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My mother in law has two claims in about 3 years she's 93 and the latest quote is around £5000 for her car an i10 so I'm not surprised at your quote. Hope you find something suitable but I'd be very careful about using your sons insurance and make sure he uses it quite a bit more than you if you go down that route. In the mil case we're putting her back on motability shes getting the use of a new car including the insurance and maintenance for a lot less than the insurance would cost!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
As a retired broker (no hate mail please) can I advise never to obtain cover in another persons name or use their postal code to obtain cheaper insurance if you are the main user. This will be seen as fraud by the insurer and any claim could be refused.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hate to say it but there comes a time when our abilities are not up to the performance that is required sometimes and the insurance companies have seen the evidence….

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As a retired broker (no hate mail please) can I advise never to obtain cover in another persons name or use their postal code to obtain cheaper insurance if you are the main user. This will be seen as fraud by the insurer and any claim could be refused.
My main worry wouldn't be the claim being refused as much as them then declining future insurance for the people involved. For the son it could have a very serious effect on future insurance and lifestyle/ occupation

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
SORN will not remove the risk of loss. Yes it means its not taxed, but not having insurance could be a risk. Obviously this depends on where its stored. If in a secure area having no insurance might be an option, but if on your drive there may be a risk of theft, is that a risk you are prepared to take.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
SORN will not remove the risk of loss. Yes it means its not taxed, but not having insurance could be a risk. Obviously this depends on where its stored. If in a secure area having no insurance might be an option, but if on your drive there may be a risk of theft, is that a risk you are prepared to take.
But if it is normally stored on his drive, then no difference in risk?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
But if it is normally stored on his drive, then no difference in risk?
I guess no increased risk in that sense, but a greater risk to have no insurance at all. Shit happens when least expect it. A fault could cause a fire, it could be stolen who knows. Insurance is there for the unexpected.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One good thing about my Mum's age (93) is that she can't get motor insurance.

Last company she used were Aegis but I don't know if they do motorhome.

Probably best to use a broker in your circumstances and please do not tell half truths or plain lies.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back