Installing Dashcam with Remis Blinds (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Having read through numerous threads and articles regarding the difficulties of installing a fixed dashcam mount in conjunction with the Remis windscreen blind set, and looking to fit one myself, I thought I’d have a go at it today.

This is for a 2022 Ducato with the grooved metal nut that remains on the windscreen once the mirror is removed - I’ve read a few horror stories about cracked windscreens while trying to remove the nut, so wasn’t going there. However, due to the positioning of the cutout in the Remis blind set, and the proximity of the blinds to the windscreen, that was the only possible location for a permanent camera mount.

The Nextbase 622GW dashcam (possibly other models) comes with a powered mount to which the camera simply clips into with a magnetic catch, so its just the mount that needs to fit through the cutout and here’s how I did it:

Firstly I removed from the mirror arm the spring steel clip which mates to the grooved nut in the windshield.
118E94B5-37A0-4C07-81FB-BF904376AC88.jpeg

The Nextbase powered mount is in two parts which slide apart - the base plate with 3M adhesive on it, and the USB powered section that the camera clips onto. I drilled a hole centrally through the base and mounted the Fiat steel clip to it with an M4 bolt and nut - I pared away a small amount of the plastic web on the reverse so that the nut could sit flat - and then used the dremel to ensure the bolt thread didn’t extend further than the surface of the plate.
687E0473-A9D3-4F7E-88F8-55AC4B9BB3AB.jpeg

Then reassembled the base, now sporting the Fiat mirror clip, and the USB powered section of the mount.
69730C5C-8D0D-4FAE-8379-727E1B67BE95.jpeg

All good so far and it even fitted the right way up!
ECCA92B7-57E2-414B-8117-AAA03659D9B6.jpeg

And even better, the blinds do as well!
3FEB3A8B-17E3-4FD2-805B-1FB76FA269AF.jpeg

And when on the move or otherwise with the blinds stowed away, the camera simply clips into the magnetic mount and it’s good to go.
ADA09578-F50A-4800-A062-B383EB4CF6BF.jpeg

I used the optional Nextbase permanent wiring kit and ran the cable under the headlining and fished it down the A pillar to the drivers side fusebox for a permanent live piggyback feed from one of the 20amp fuses.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
My Nextbase is located at the bottom centre of the screen in front of the lower blind rail. The blinds shut without touching the camera and the camera can be left in place and still record if the van is subject to a bump when parked up. Cables are fed between dash and screen. Took about 30 mins to fit.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Mine is on the dashboard too. It needs to tilt back a little to close the blinds.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have my rear view camera monitor mounted on my rear view mirror, so mounted my Nextbase 622GW dashcam on the top right of my windscreen so the powered base clears the Remis cab blinds when closed.

1671307537515.png

1671307583462.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
With our A-class, there's not the clearance behind the blinds. I thought about attaching it to the back of the drop-down bed, but then I'd have to worry about wires going though the mechanism. So I just adhesive mounted it to the dash.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted an L shape bit of plastic and used the scree that fixes the top rail on the blind, easy and has worked well for 4 years
Cheers Cris.View attachment 698095

I tried that method of mounting my dashcam but found that the camera vibrated so much that for the most part, the playback was so blurry it render the footage useless.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not looked at the play back for about a year,but it was fine last time I looked.i will need to look again is😁.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have you remembered to re format the card regularly?
Didn't know I had to re format if I'm honest 🙈, will be catching up on admin stuff and a bit of van maintenance next week ,taking the good lady to Alicante today she is going home for Christmas and back in January .
Cheers Cris.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Didn't know I had to re format if I'm honest 🙈, will be catching up on admin stuff and a bit of van maintenance next week ,taking the good lady to Alicante today she is going home for Christmas and back in January .
Cheers Cris.
I gave up with Next base as I found if I didn't reformat the card regularly, like nearly every day there would be gaps in the recording. It also the bit you really wanted. Gone back to a KB far more reliable.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Having read through numerous threads and articles regarding the difficulties of installing a fixed dashcam mount in conjunction with the Remis windscreen blind set, and looking to fit one myself, I thought I’d have a go at it today.

This is for a 2022 Ducato with the grooved metal nut that remains on the windscreen once the mirror is removed - I’ve read a few horror stories about cracked windscreens while trying to remove the nut, so wasn’t going there. However, due to the positioning of the cutout in the Remis blind set, and the proximity of the blinds to the windscreen, that was the only possible location for a permanent camera mount.

The Nextbase 622GW dashcam (possibly other models) comes with a powered mount to which the camera simply clips into with a magnetic catch, so its just the mount that needs to fit through the cutout and here’s how I did it:

Firstly I removed from the mirror arm the spring steel clip which mates to the grooved nut in the windshield.
View attachment 698007

The Nextbase powered mount is in two parts which slide apart - the base plate with 3M adhesive on it, and the USB powered section that the camera clips onto. I drilled a hole centrally through the base and mounted the Fiat steel clip to it with an M4 bolt and nut - I pared away a small amount of the plastic web on the reverse so that the nut could sit flat - and then used the dremel to ensure the bolt thread didn’t extend further than the surface of the plate.
View attachment 698008

Then reassembled the base, now sporting the Fiat mirror clip, and the USB powered section of the mount.
View attachment 698009

All good so far and it even fitted the right way up!
View attachment 698010

And even better, the blinds do as well!
View attachment 698011

And when on the move or otherwise with the blinds stowed away, the camera simply clips into the magnetic mount and it’s good to go.
View attachment 698012

I used the optional Nextbase permanent wiring kit and ran the cable under the headlining and fished it down the A pillar to the drivers side fusebox for a permanent live piggyback feed from one of the 20amp fuses.
Orion,

I'm considering doing this. When I offer up the 622GW to the hex nut, it looks as though the lens wouldn't have a clear sight through the sticky black dot windscreen film. Did you have a clear horizontal forward view?

Dave

OP
OP
Orion
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Orion,

I'm considering doing this. When I offer up the 622GW to the hex nut, it looks as though the lens wouldn't have a clear sight through the sticky black dot windscreen film. Did you have a clear horizontal forward view?

Dave

Hi Dave, yes it’s positioned to clear that area above and the top of the dashboard below. Totally clear view forward.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hoof Hearted

Free Member
Aug 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Old and resurrected post but i thought i would share my approach. I removed the Ducato x290 mirror complete with post and then simply removed the mirror by levering off the snap ring and re-fitted the post. You can do it without removing the mirror but once you know the secret to removal it's no big deal. I then purchased a screen that was dash-mounted but had a ball and socket connection on the back. I had to pack it out a smidge with a bit of tape but it now sits in place of the mirror and it out of the way of the blinds.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
For those with a Nextbase dual camera, like we have (from another vehicle), we use the rear view camera (which is on the left hand side of the unit) to record the driver's side window (on our LHD MH), just in case there's an incident and someone's up at the window giving my hubby grief. If you have a dual camera unit but a RHD vehicle, you can use the front camera (on the right hand side of the unit) to record the RHD driver's window and us the rear camera (on the left hand side) to record the road ahead :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back