In the market.. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

hunty22

Free Member
Jul 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi all. I’m Steve from Nottinghamshire. Divorcee and just about to raid a pension (before the government do!) and will be investing in a campervan of some description come Autumn.

I’ve been doing the usual, research on the web etc but decided to lurk a bit in here as I’m sure I’ll get the right information.

Be patient with me, I’ll probably ask a lot of questions, but promise to search the forums first!

Cheers.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Days out, loads & loads of days out visiting every dealer within a sensible distance from you (and you're lucky to be in a location that will give you reasonable driving distance to many).

I assume you have worked out how many people/pets you need to safely & comfortably accommodate. And that you know what you can sensibly afford and where you can park it ::bigsmile:. And that you have worked out whether you want a camper, PVC or coach-built ?

Do not go into every van the dealer has because your brain will implode. You will get confused and lose sight of all the criteria which you have established. Be selective in what you view, take loads of photos, spend the rest of the following week imagining cooking, washing, "living" in a small box when it is raining so hard you cannot even see outside let alone go anywhere.

It won't take long for one or two vans to stay in your memory, jumping up and down wildly squealing 'pick me, pick me'. At that point there will be someone here who has that van/used to have that van and can tell you what the dealers might not. :clap2:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Steve, you’ve found the perfect place for your info needs, just join and ask away, as it’s important to get it right with your purchase, especially when they cost so much of your hard earned cash 👍🏻

Oh and welcome to the world of Fun 🤩

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hi and welcome.

Number 1? Choose a layout that works for you and then search around that. Most common reason for buying and selling to get a different van.....
Visit as many new and second hand dealers as you can and you will quickly get a feel for fixed bed(s), over cab etc.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. :welcome3:

There are some recent threads on here on choosing a van - do a search. Good luck!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just be aware of scams.. still many about, especially Facebook.
If you see a van online compare prices and never leave even a small deposit or pay for a van without seeing it in real life.. (y)

OP
OP
H

hunty22

Free Member
Jul 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Days out, loads & loads of days out visiting every dealer within a sensible distance from you (and you're lucky to be in a location that will give you reasonable driving distance to many).

I assume you have worked out how many people/pets you need to safely & comfortably accommodate. And that you know what you can sensibly afford and where you can park it ::bigsmile:. And that you have worked out whether you want a camper, PVC or coach-built ?

Do not go into every van the dealer has because your brain will implode. You will get confused and lose sight of all the criteria which you have established. Be selective in what you view, take loads of photos, spend the rest of the following week imagining cooking, washing, "living" in a small box when it is raining so hard you cannot even see outside let alone go anywhere.

It won't take long for one or two vans to stay in your memory, jumping up and down wildly squealing 'pick me, pick me'. At that point there will be someone here who has that van/used to have that van and can tell you what the dealers might not. :clap2:
Thanks for the advice, a couple of things there I hadn’t considered!👍🏻

OP
OP
H

hunty22

Free Member
Jul 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Just be aware of scams.. still many about, especially Facebook.
If you see a van online compare prices and never leave even a small deposit or pay for a van without seeing it in real life.. (y)
been burned before almost on a smaller purchase. Dealer only on this one mate. 👍🏻

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Welcome. You live within a couple of hours of so many dealers, visit them all and have a good look at layouts. Think how it feels for spending a cold, wet day in. Sit on the toilet to see if there's room for ablutions. Lie on the bed in your normal sleeping position. Don't be rushed by pushy salesmen. Ask to be left alone in the van if they're hovering. And last of all, have fun looking .

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Ask to be left alone in the van if they're hovering.
And when you are alone, shut all the doors.
See what that small space really feels like. If you have not had a caravan or motorhome before then it might not be exactly what you are expecting.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thanks for the advice, a couple of things there I hadn’t considered!👍🏻
Or you could do what I did seen it on ebay travelled 3 hours approx and bought it .

Rumour says ot takes 3 vans to get the right one so how much research do you need. :rofl: :wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back