I'm assuming this is an airbag ECU failure (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
I’ve seen recommendations to fix an additional earth wire to the ehu, does it work?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If I do buy a new one (expect mine will trip again at some point) I have neighbours with multiecuscanners and would appreciate any pointers to instructions on proxy setting.

One of a few guides on FF

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Heard back from Northern Auto Tech. My ECU is duff. The B0100 code can be cleared but comes back again at power up, so new unit required. Its a toss up between getting a new unit myself and buying Multiecuscan or getting Fiat Professional to do it. I'll probably go with the later as it will have a warranty (I hope). The annoying thing is that even though I know the ECU is duff Fiat still want to do a diagnostic on it first before they change the module. I'm booked in next Wednesday.

As an aside I spoke to Gendan regarding Multiecuscan and using it on my new van (in April - hopefully). They say an adaptor is available to physically bypass the Fiat security gate. it involves unplugging a couple of cables.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The annoying thing is that even though I know the ECU is duff Fiat still want to do a diagnostic on it first before they change the module. I'm booked in next Wednesday
Took my van in without the ECU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Took my van in without the ECU.
I tried to persuade them that I had it checked out by a company that only does ECU repairs but the service guy was adamant that as a Fait Professional company they are bound to follow proceedure and that means a diagnostic before they do any work. Their supply and fit price is £365 and diagnostic £84 so still only £60 or so above the DIY price (Coastal motorhome want £250 for the module). I'd have to buy Multiecuscan or similar to do the proxi align.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Heard back from Northern Auto Tech. My ECU is duff. The B0100 code can be cleared but comes back again at power up, so new unit required. Its a toss up between getting a new unit myself and buying Multiecuscan or getting Fiat Professional to do it. I'll probably go with the later as it will have a warranty (I hope). The annoying thing is that even though I know the ECU is duff Fiat still want to do a diagnostic on it first before they change the module. I'm booked in next Wednesday.

As an aside I spoke to Gendan regarding Multiecuscan and using it on my new van (in April - hopefully). They say an adaptor is available to physically bypass the Fiat security gate. it involves unplugging a couple of cables.
Don’t Northern Autotech supply them then, when mine was declared deceased with the same code by Crashdata they supplied one for £300.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Don’t Northern Autotech supply them then, when mine was declared deceased with the same code by Crashdata they supplied one for £300.
He didn't offer to supply one. He did say that Coastal Motorhomes was probably the cheapest place to buy so gave some direction to go. I have just received my old unit back from Northern Auto Tech. Full marks to them for their "green" packaging. Plastic bag was compostable, paper "bubblewrap" like padding and paper sticky tape. The only plastic was the Haribo's package! I had several texts and phone calls with Carl so communication was good except he never answered my initial online contact enquiry. Best to send him a text. Also a good idea to put your name and phone number on the actual ECU (or the ECU serial number on the paperwork, downloadable from their website) as they lost the connection between the two. Sorted with a phone call. Although they couldn't fix the fault (they could clear the B0100 code but it came back at the next power up) it was a good experience with them and they returned the unit to me within 24 hours at no cost to me (just my initial sending cost). I have the van booked in next Wednesday with Fiat. Fortunately we've not needed to use the van as we are both laid low with bad colds and cough (thank you grandchildren!).

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If getting one from a third party supplier make sure it is the latest version. Also best to check even if getting one from Fiat.
How would I know if it the latest?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
DId they state which years Ducatos actual have the SGW. 500s started in 2018 but at leat some 2019 ducatos do not (sept ?) ie twin egr no adblue yes?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Is anyone aware of the ideal voltage to prevent spiking or otherwise to the airbag ecu.?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
There's no such thing - it's a complete lottery.
It fails for no apparent reason - the voltage reports are simply just rubbish.
It's a crap Fiat module and a scandal that they have fitted the same module since before 2011.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
DId they state which years Ducatos actual have the SGW. 500s started in 2018 but at leat some 2019 ducatos do not (sept ?) ie twin egr no adblue yes?
My 2021 Citroen Relay doesn't have the SGW. Multiecuscan can connect to everything except the engine.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
mines in to a Fait proff service garage now, the part came Friday so I'll get it back next week, the fitter said he had done 7 in the recent past, the part is not up to the job, and the ones on newer van are different part number. Its also getting full cam belt experience so i'll be eating beans for a month

Jul 13, 2021
Launceston, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 175 2013
Exp
Since 2011
I've been diligently making sure that the cab battery has been kept topped up, at least at the point of starting the engine. No problems in 7 1/2 years (2015 x290). I've recently had the van on charge for a couple of days as not much sun over Christmas to keep things topped up. I was clearing out the scuttle drainage pipes and decided to move the van to rotate the tyres. Lo and behold, flashing mileage value and airbag icon lit. A brief message to check airbag. I'm assuming this is indicative of the dreaded airbag ECU fault. I can only assume that with the van still being on mains that the battery voltage was seen as too high. Anyway, regardless of the fault looks like a new ECU is needed. I'll get the fault codes checked (a friend has Multiecuscan). Thats another expense that our delayed delivery of a new van has caused (all new tyres last summer). Anyone bought a new one and is it a DIY install or will I have to go to a FIAT professional garage (how much?). I've read mixed reviews of Crashdata so a bit nervous.
Be sure to fit an extra earth wire as I was recommended to do by peugeot . buy an ome ( £75 ) from internet when mine went.you cant get mixed up with the wiring as the connections are different sizes. then just take it to a dealer to set up. mine cost me £500 at a dealer but asked for the original back it was all packaged up to go for repair prices will have changed by now. posted earlier on this

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Crashdata all day long send your old one, one day get the fixed one back 2 days later, Jane is great to deal with.

Mar 2, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Since Dec 2017
Our fiat also developed an initially intermittent airbag warning light and on reading up assumed it was an ecu failure although battery has not flattened and is run regularly. Local auto electrician was unable to access the ecu with his scanner to test, (£45 down). Went into fiat garage for service and explained about airbag warning. They put a new ecu on but it did not solve the issue. Charged £75 to test. It now has to go back as they think it is a wiring issue🤬

Mar 1, 2014
Guernsey
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K Yacht 85
Exp
I'm a newbie
My crash data repair lasted two weeks and they wouldn't accept any responsibility for it, crooks IMO, a few other Funsters have had problems with their repairs.
I have been through a similar experience with Northern Auto Tech. First time MES wouldn’t recognise the ‘repaired’ module, returned it and 2nd time it worked, went through proxi alignment fine but left me with a drivers airbag resistance fault that wouldn’t clear. I have now bought a new module from Coastal Motorhomes and everything is fine now, no faults. Should have saved money from the start and just bought a new one, lesson learnt.

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam A-R 685
I'm yet another Funster who has 'enjoyed' the experience of the Airbag warning light on our 2013 2.3 Ducato 250 Facelift Rollerteam 685.

It's all sorted now, but I thought it would be useful to share my experience.

The Airbag Fail light came on after starting the van with a slightly depleted battery.
I removed it to send to a repairer, but having seen many others' experiences of failed repairs I concluded that a new replacement was the only guaranteed fix.

I spoke to Coastal Motorhomes, who are competitively priced and very knowledgeable, although I didn't appreciate being accused of starting the engine before the initiation sequence had completed :emo:
I'm fortunate in having trade contacts who sourced the correct part number from Fiat at an almost tolerable price, so that was fitted along with a new battery.
Fiat quoted £130 +VAT to clear the fault, and my local MH-friendly garage quoted £150-200 for 'their' auto-electrician to do the job :eek:

Having previously fitted new units in Audis and having to go through a fairly involved coding process with VAG-COM (VCDS) I was expecting it to be rather involved, and for some reason I'd assumed I'd need the fully featured Multiecuscan to do the job, but the basic Licenced version is all that's needed, along with the yellow adapter, and it's actually very straightforward:
I cleared down the fault codes, then carried out the Proxi alignment procedure to recognise the new Airbag ECU:
It's as simple as this:

Connect MES with yellow adapter
Open Body Comp. -> CAN Setup/Proxi Alignment Procedure -> F7 Adjustments

Not necessary, but advisable: To save the existing config file, hit Ctrl+Alt+C -> a file appears; copy the Hex codes (don't change anything!) into Notepad & save, then close window.

F10 Execute -> Y... Modules update sequentially, around one minute.
Turn key off -> Y
Job done :smiley:

Total cost including MES & Leads was around £400, but the ECU was more expensive than later (2014) variants.
Coastal Motorhomes were very clear that the replacement ECU MUST have the same part number as the original, so there's no way of going for a product improvement.
The new unit I fitted has a build date of 2023.
Must be a great money-spinner...

New Airbag ECU.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back