Ignition continues running with key out for short time! (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mercedes Tristar

Free Member
Aug 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta New Life
When I turn the ignition off, I can remove the ignition key and the engine continues to run for approx 15/20 secs.

Engine runs fine at all times, it is just when we switch off, I could still drive it for the short time mentioned above with the key!! Any thoughts on why this is happening, please.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I had this with one motorhome but only when I had a trailer attached. The engine solenoid was getting a back feed from the trailer brake lights.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
On old cars it was diesel fuel pump solenoid sticking or badly carbonised cylinders that glowed enough to ignite petrol.
Eg if you bypass the very old Fiat immobiliser and don't run to accessory only live to he engine never stops until you disconnect the new feed.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I had this on our Peugeot Boxer MH when I fitted a new radio head unit and connected the steering wheel radio controls to the wrong CanBus line, swapped to the correct CanBus line corrected the engine overrun when switching off the ignition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My first diesel coachbuilt back in the 70s used to regularly do this
It was a very agricultural diesel and the only way to stop it sometimes was put in 4th gear, stand on the brakes and stall it.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Does sound like an issue with the fuel cut off solenoid. If you're mechanically minded, it will be located near or on the injection pump. Check out the wiring/connector to it for signs of corrosion and also check out the condition of any earth straps from the engine to the body work.
A quick earth check would be to clip a jumper cable from the battery negative to a clean metal point on the engine and see if that helps ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back