If you have NFU insurance, BEWARE (16 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have just had 10 days at our son's in Aberdeen and on the way back our car broke down with a faulty injector.
I am insured with NFU and when I bought the insurance I actually asked and was told that the breakdown insurance was Europe-wide full cover and stupidly didn't read the whole policy properly.
When the breakdown truck driver phoned after a two-hour wait he told me it was only a twenty mile tow which is not a lot of use when 400 miles from home. Luckily we have the Nationwide Flex Plus account so all cars are covered and the AA sorted us out, and actually bought and fitted a new injector at the side of the road so we were on our way back home only five hours late and £410 worse off which they said was the cost of the injector only.

So, if you are insured with the NFU check your policy before you get caught out. My Policy says:
RAC 'Mutual Assist' breakdown cover is restricted to cars being driven in the UK, if you're more than 1/4 mile from
your home and the total recovery distance is no more than 20 miles. This cover excludes motorhomes and
campervans

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Is it a condition of NFU’s breakdown cover or the recovery agent can’t be bothered?

Seems a very restrictive condition that is the case.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It’s very clear to be fair and it is the included price.

If you want more than that then you can pay upgrades

This was from my motorhome quote
IMG_5825.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As far as I know there is no breakdown cover at all with NFU if you are over 3500kg.

Edit, oops sorry just read CAR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
OldAgeTravellers
What car was it ? That's a heck of a price for an injector
It is a Citroen DS3. He said that was relitively cheap, some are over £800 each. It was from EuroParts and no doubt the AA have a markup on top but there was no charge for his time. Basically much cheaper for them than having to relay us. And for us it would probably have taken most of the night waiting at various motorway services for the next truck to arrive.
I haven’t checked the price on EuroParts yet. Basically the easiest way out. How much would a garage have charged to do the job and how quickly?

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Just been looking online DS3 injectors from £227 - £299 depending on model ,, even thats a ripoff price . Bosch knock them out for about £40 to the manufacturers for new builds

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just been looking online DS3 injectors from £227 - £299 depending on model ,, even thats a ripoff price . Bosch knock them out for about £40 to the manufacturers for new builds
I'm sure if you asked Bosch for a quote to buy 500,000 a year then I'm sure they'd price match😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back