I should have thought faster! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Been having a look around on here for advice \ recommendations on what to go for and on tinterweb for availability and pricing.

I just in the middle of fitting these. I also fitted some on the old van.
Biggest problem at the moment is fishing the sensors out from behind the bumper, its so tight against the body.
Would not do without them - even though there is a camera fitted as standard.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=264393557739

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I just in the middle of fitting these. I also fitted some on the old van.

On the "to get list". (y) What size of hole \ drill is required for fitting?:unsure:

Biggest problem at the moment is fishing the sensors out from behind the bumper, its so tight against the body.

The way I'm skelping the panels off the motorhome this ain't gonna be a problem!:RollEyes:

Would not do without them - even though there is a camera fitted as standard.

Yip, will be fitting in addition to the camera.(y)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=264393557739

Thanks Alex.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I've been thinking about fitting reversing sensors on our 2013 Autotrail motorhome.
Been having a look around on here for advice \ recommendations on what to go for and on tinterweb for availability and pricing.

Having decided to cancel our forthcoming jaunt to D&G as a result of CV I thought I'd better take the motorhome out of storage for a wee spin to ensure batteries were fully charged having just had to get the airbag ECU reset.:crying:
So, off we go out along the motorway for half an hour or so and same back to storage.

Reversing back into our storage pitch, and given it was earlyish morning with the sun at a low angle (yeh, I know - sun, never in Scotland!) dazzled in the mirrors and reversing camera.
And, you've guessed it! :crying: :swear2:

View attachment 370669
View attachment 370670

As you can see, I've got the bit that's broken out as well.
Question for the gang is, is it repairable :pray: or is it a new panel?

After trawling about on here for previous posts I was kinda thinking maybe seeing if I could get some ABS pieces (it is ABS or similar and not fibreglass) and MEK and sticking these to the back of the panel over the cracks (full access is available in situ behind the panel). And, maybe, some wet and dry paper to ease off any irregularities left on the face.
What's the thoughts?
Yes, definitely fixable.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
soldering iron with fine tip and some plastic rods, work from the back slowly warming and feeding new plastic as you go, face side fill and sand(y)

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK gang the decision is made.(y)
In discussion with the commander of the outfit :notworthy2: we've decided (well subject to the experts confirmation it'll work, that's you lot by the way!) "we're" going to do the following -
  • sand \ rough-up the back face of the panel and broken part
  • clean with isopropyl alcohol (don't think it impacts on the abs material?)
  • using fibreglass mesh tape, resin and hardener plate the back of the panel (assuming it will adhere and it ain't one of the auld fellas better jokes!) whilst aligning the front face to minimise breakage visibility (held in place with gaffer \ masking tape)
  • let resin harden and remove gaffer \ masking tape and see how it looks
  • assuming damage is still visible (it will be) tell the commander "don't worry darling we're only part done"
  • cover damage with vehicle vinyl wrap material with a close match to the side graphics (approx 9' from the damaged area)
  • stand back and pray finish is acceptable to commander
  • if you don't hear from me for a while work on the assumption that I'm still in the queue for an ICU bed (no not cv-19 but major bone \ head trauma!)
  • oh, and you'd better hope it is that 'cause the alternative will be the commander has demanded to be transported to your residencies (she will believe this would constitute essential travel, btw!) to have words!:eek:
Well that's it.
Any final thoughts from the experts?

Edit : wonder why nobody has responded? Mmmmmmmmh wonder if it could be they're sh*t scared of the final point? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it!
Edit : Edit : bad weather on it's way so looks like rain's stopped play.:(

ps many thanks for all the other options \ input, very much appreciated, but being Scottish this seems to be the cheapest option (excluding the "just tape it up" but that would mean I'd be clogging up a much needed ICU bed!)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
You are not alone quote are there any lampposts or stanchion 's behind me * No* I then reverse into a pillar box ( no camera then!) You said nothing about pillar boxes! Mended it with the same tech a Gellyneck and fitted a camera and sensors!

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Progress update.
Was a reasonable day weatherwise up here so started the repair.
Did all the prep work done and glued it back together with fibreglass tape and resin. Now looks like this.
1585490783873.png

As it's fairly chilly and as I used insufficient hardener:doh: it's still a bit tacky to the touch so leaving until tomorrow before giving it a light sand down \ clean up.
Vinyl wrap samples being sourced.
Time will tell how successful we'll be.
Again, many thanks for the advice \ guidance, gang.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The way I repaired my plastic fairings after a off with the bike:
Glue the bits together. Sand at the back and add a metal mesh ina fibreglass mix to reinforce it. Fill the missing voids with melted abs. Sand down and spray fill with plasticote few times. Then spray the colour.
Not far away from how I repaired a cracked Rear Valence on My Last Motorhome. The reinforced glass matt makes a good job better.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The way I repaired my plastic fairings after a off with the bike:
Glue the bits together. Sand at the back and add a metal mesh ina fibreglass mix to reinforce it. Fill the missing voids with melted abs. Sand down and spray fill with plasticote few times. Then spray the colour.

As above, collect all the part together (just like a jigsaw) and reinforce with mesh (hold in place with countersunk rivets) and smooth the outside with filler. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back