I need help, new computer (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi my old desktop computer is getting on and will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 I'm looking to replace and see many on eBay refurbished for under £300 they look good but I don't really know what to look for. I don't do gaming just browsing, watching the odd movie or anything to taxing for it. If anyone is able to tell me what I need I would be grateful. I have an old monitor that doesn't have an HDMI socket.
Screenshot_20230316_112609_eBay.jpg

Would this one be OK?

Jun 29, 2020
Paulton
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 685
Exp
Since 2012, Tugger for previous 20 odd years
I use a Chromebook for browsing and streaming sport, films etc. Chromebooks fire up immediately and are not slowed down by Microsoft applications however you can still write to word or spreadsheets etc.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Bought a refurbished Lenovo on Amazon a couple of years ago, dated around 2015 originally but upgraded to Win 10 and ten times faster than my all bells and whistles Samsung. Just check it has the required HDMI and smart card reader. I missed the backlit keyboard but after nearly two years discovered it has a light on selecting the Fn+tab key. :rolleyes:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
They haven't got basic description right so I'd steer clear. Title says i7 yet the CPU is then said to be an (unknown) i5. The GT710 Graphics are ancient.

The average home user, not gaming, not doing any intensive video editing doesn't need anything more than an i5 CPU, and could get away with even an i3. For longevity on the machine perhaps 16GB of RAM, but 8 GB will suffice. SSD for storage gives a sprightly machine, but ensure it's big enough for all your photos (that do start to add up). Unless you are into gaming, photo editing and similar an integrated graphics on the CPU is sufficient and you won't benefit from separate AMD or Nvidia graphics card.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why not go for a laptop? For your needs there's plenty of "new" last generation models about, go for a bigger screen and a decent battery life. Save yourself some room plus you can take it away with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
something very strange going on, this morning the computer froze, I tried to get it going but nothing so I left it after a while it said reconfiguring, it did this for about an hour and then it shut down. now I have gone back to it and it's working better than it has in some time. Do you think it heard me threatening to dump it? ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

I will keep the suggestions as I will have to replace it when they stop the support for windows 10

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
something very strange going on, this morning the computer froze, I tried to get it going but nothing so I left it after a while it said reconfiguring, it did this for about an hour and then it shut down. now I have gone back to it and it's working better than it has in some time. Do you think it heard me threatening to dump it? ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

I will keep the suggestions as I will have to replace it when they stop the support for windows 10
If it’s running Windows, then it may well have been completing an update, our laptop goes into slow mode while it’s sorting out any main Windows updates, including puffing smoke, steam and shutting down.

It’s all sorted once the updates are completed, it’s just down to tinternet speed for downloads. We used to have around 98mbps and since we moved, we’re now around 4-5mbps, so slowwwwwww 🐌

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously

Windows did another Wednesday update yesterday, make sure it downloaded properly, it may have been stuck trying to finish it.
Good Luck.
LES

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I moved to laptops only some years back and never regretted it. So much less space needed, quieter and easy to take in the van if I want

On a separate note, I hold a few voluntary positions, one of which comes with an ancient windows 8 laptop. I had to use this recently to check some saved details. It was soooooo sssssllllooooowwww it nearly got put in the bin

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I use a Chromebook for browsing and streaming sport, films etc. Chromebooks fire up immediately and are not slowed down by Microsoft applications however you can still write to word or spreadsheets etc.
Another vote to consider a Chromebook, especially if you use an Android phone. (y)

Another advantage - no need for any anti-virus software.

And for the sort of budget you're considering, you could get a new one rather than used. :giggle:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I put new ss hard disk on my old windows 10 laptop a few years ago, it was suddenly so fast. It is now incredibly slow, must need a defrag. I thought w10 did it on the fly?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I moved to laptops only some years back and never regretted it. So much less space needed,
A laptop won't work for me, I don't have a man cave, so the office is the only place I can go and pretend I'm doing something important. ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I still use Windows XP on a 2007 core 2 duo laptop for some legacy stuff and it's nearly as quick as the Win 10 bells and whistles laptop with SSD, i7 and 16Gb RAM I had at work a couple of years ago. Not really convinced by all this security stuff they use to justify upgrading to a newer and more bloated o/s. I can't afford to upgrade nowadays so I use a Windows 7 on an i3 laptop for day to day stuff coz it only cost a tenner about a year ago.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi my old desktop computer is getting on and will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 I'm looking to replace and see many on eBay refurbished for under £300 they look good but I don't really know what to look for. I don't do gaming just browsing, watching the odd movie or anything to taxing for it. If anyone is able to tell me what I need I would be grateful. I have an old monitor that doesn't have an HDMI socket.View attachment 727562

Would this one be OK?
It looks good to me and all you'll need at a bargain price -----------except for a better quality HDMI monitor :rofl:
I love my full size PC
Is there any maker listed

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Hi my old desktop computer is getting on and will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 I'm looking to replace
I'm not an expert on this, but I think the processor needs to be 'Generation 12' to work on Windows 11, if it's an Intel chip. Not sure what an AMD chip needs to be.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I moved to laptops only some years back and never regretted it. So much less space needed, quieter and easy to take in the van if I want

On a separate note, I hold a few voluntary positions, one of which comes with an ancient windows 8 laptop. I had to use this recently to check some saved details. It was soooooo sssssllllooooowwww it nearly got put in the bin
We're trustees on the village hall and when we joined the treasurers and bookings laptop were like that. We look them to the local computer centre and had solid state hard drives fitted the difference is huge.

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
I'm not an expert on this, but I think the processor needs to be 'Generation 12' to work on Windows 11, if it's an Intel chip. Not sure what an AMD chip needs to be.
Like you I’m not sure about AMD processors but do know that Intel needs to be at least 8th generation to run Windows 11. Microsoft do have a page listing them all. Some 7th generation will work but sadly my I7-7700 isn’t one of them so I’ll stay on Windows 10 which works fine.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Like you I’m not sure about AMD processors but do know that Intel needs to be at least 8th generation to run Windows 11. Microsoft do have a page listing them all. Some 7th generation will work but sadly my I7-7700 isn’t one of them so I’ll stay on Windows 10 which works fine.
You're right, I must have remembered the wrong generation number. I was reading this, which confirms it's 8th Generation, as you say.

Apr 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Just buy a cheap iMac. You can have any flavour if windoze you want on it from 95 all the way to w11 and run them all at the same time, mem permitting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back