I Drove Our MH For The First Time Last Night!! (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Not on the road but around a L'Eclerc car park! It was very nerve-wracking, not least because there was another MH there, parked up for the night. I'd driven round a couple of times before two Gendarmes vehicles turned up. They told the other MH people (who were French) not to park there to sleep because it wasn't safe, so they came over to tell us the same. It took a while for us to explain I was only practicing driving for the first time, which we all had a laugh at :) I had sort of planned to go out on the road after a few rounds of the car park but, by the time we were done, it was too dark. Maybe another day, if my nerves will stand it!!! :LOL: But, at least I can say I've driven him now :)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
my moho was only a professionally converted panel van conversion, but was so nervous the first time i drove it when i realised it was better driving and visibility than the car..
after all, its only a little wider and longer than a car, height is only relevant around bridges and low trees, it'll be great, you'll soon wonder what on earth you were worried about..

enjoy and have fun escaping away..

Last edited:
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well done. It doesn't take too many miles for the motorhome to shrink around you, and you'll feel almost as comfortable as driving your car. Hard to believe at the moment, but put a few miles in and it will happen. (y)

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim ! :) The biggest thing that bothers me is the overhang. At 7.3m it's quite a chunk. Obviously in the car park it wasn't an issue but I'm worried about going past vehicles and houses in case I reduce our length to around 6m !! If I go out onto the road, we may have to do a fair few 'swapping seats' sessions when I get into a pickle!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well done. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but my confidence was built by driving ours on the motorway. You’re able to get a feel of its length and width, while everyone’s driving in the same direction, and there are no junctions, tight bends or narrow roads.

Very soon, you’ll be so confident that you can drive through Paris, be taken off the ring road a junction too early (Co-driver error) and drive straight into a Saturday market! :rofl:

Build on what you’ve just done - as Lisa said - Girl Power!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Good on you..

Funny thing is, when I drive abroad it's always the supermarket car parks I forget the side of the road,and find it easier on proper roads probably due to the no marking etc and my brain goes into auto mode.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well done. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but my confidence was built by driving ours on the motorway. You’re able to get a feel of its length and width, while everyone’s driving in the same direction, and there are no junctions, tight bends or narrow roads.

Very soon, you’ll be so confident that you can drive through Paris, be taken off the ring road a junction too early (Co-driver error) and drive straight into a Saturday market! :rofl:

Build on what you’ve just done - as Lisa said - Girl Power!

Thank you so much!......although I'm not too sure about replicating your error!! :LOL: :eek:

Driving on the motorway actually makes sense, so I might give it a go. Thanks :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Good on you..

Funny thing is, when I drive abroad it's always the supermarket car parks I forget the side of the road,and find it easier on proper roads probably due to the no marking etc and my brain goes into auto mode.

To be fair, I only chose the car park because it was empty-ish and I could get used to the clutch, steering and the sound of the revs :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you so much!......although I'm not too sure about replicating your error!! :LOL: :eek:

Driving on the motorway actually makes sense, so I might give it a go. Thanks :)
It wasn’t my error - Cliff was navigating :rofl:

After brushing past many leather jackets on one side and sheets and handbags on the other, we let ‘Co-Pilot’ take us through many Parisian streets and back onto the ring-road.

I think the most important thing is not to panic. I knew we’d get out, so I just followed her instructions and we did.

Motorways and dual carriageways are great. You can go at your own speed with no fear of the cars behind you getting impatient. You can overtake when you feel comfortable, or not.

Best of luck!

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Well done 👍

I have driven ours a couple of times, mostly on dual carriageways, although I did drive part way to the Drax Rally last month and so had to do some smaller roads. As you say, the overhang needs some getting used to.

The more you drive it, the more confident you will get, (I am hoping for the same 🙂).

My biggest problem is my copilot is a terrible passenger and hates being driven 🤣

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the encouragement, Jim ! :) The biggest thing that bothers me is the overhang. At 7.3m it's quite a chunk. Obviously in the car park it wasn't an issue but I'm worried about going past vehicles and houses in case I reduce our length to around 6m !! If I go out onto the road, we may have to do a fair few 'swapping seats' sessions when I get into a pickle!! :)
Not only does it have a bigger bum, it has a wider track too, the rear tyres do not follow the front exactly...

Tip; Park against a wide low kerb, drive forward on full lock and watch in your mirror just how far the bum swings out, this will help when parking etc so you don´t endanger pedestrians and posts if you have an idea how much the swing is......

When in turning right in traffic, eg: traffic lights and the lane next to you is stationary, watch the turn carefully so you have enough room for the back to swing round, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors.

Go and have fun 😊

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well done those first steps are always the hardest. I know we only have a PVC but a few days ago I took a slight detour through the centre of Bucharest! Now Raul isn’t the only one who knows they have their own Arc de Triomph and Champs-Elysees. You’ll soon be doing the same sort of thing and laughing instead of crying!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well done 👍

I have driven ours a couple of times, mostly on dual carriageways, although I did drive part way to the Drax Rally last month and so had to do some smaller roads. As you say, the overhang needs some getting used to.

The more you drive it, the more confident you will get, (I am hoping for the same 🙂).

My biggest problem is my copilot is a terrible passenger and hates being driven 🤣

I'm worried that I'm going to smack the back end off or kill a pedestrian with the mirrors!! :eek:

I'm also a terrible passenger and worry that we're always too close to the kerb when my husband's driving. Maybe I'll be a better driver......who knows?? :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well done those first steps are always the hardest. I know we only have a PVC but a few days ago I took a slight detour through the centre of Bucharest! Now Raul isn’t the only one who knows they have their own Arc de Triomph and Champs-Elysees. You’ll soon be doing the same sort of thing and laughing instead of crying!

Crikey, I don't know about that. I think I'd have parked in the middle of the road ans swapped seats!! You know how i overthink stuff. Can you imagine me in that situation?! :eek::LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm worried that I'm going to smack the back end off or kill a pedestrian with the mirrors!! :eek:

I'm also a terrible passenger and worry that we're always too close to the kerb when my husband's driving. Maybe I'll be a better driver......who knows?? :)

I have been large vehicles for so long, I get nervous if anyone asks me to drive a car.
(I usually refuse as happened earlier this year when Tesla invited us to test drive their new cars)
I find my view very restricted and, sometimes, can't see past the vehicle in front of me.
I'm used to seeing, and reacting to, things happening way passed that distance.

Persevere and it will get easier, as you know, the first step is the hardest! 👍

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Bucharest it is also called the little Paris, with Ialomita river and the canal cutting trough resembling the river Sene. Also in the old days the high educated society all spoke french, then was introduced in the 70's and 80's as a compulsory language in the school curriculum as early as primary classes. I had it in year 5.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
When we got our first new MH in 2005 I went to the local HGV training centre and had a half day one to one "classroom" and local road tuition. The trainer was great - certainly not patronising and explained things like how to cope with the overhang and using mirrors correctly. They did have access to the local unused aerodrome where I reversed around corners, reversed between sticks as if they were a garage etc. etc. By the time I finished I think I could drive it better backwards! It gave me such confidence and I now drive our new PVC all the time and I love it.
Sue

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you turn the steering too aggressively the back will swing out in response, go gentle on the steering and the rear overhang will play nicely, keep at it (y)

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Julie’s first time I pulled into services on the M4 and she drove from there to the next services.

After that, she did longer and longer drives on the motorway, then dual carriageways and finally single roads.

Her first real test came at a T junction on a country road, where we had to turn right and it was such a hairpin, she had to do similar to a ‘three point turn’ to get round, all while traffic waited behind us and off to one side (We are 7.3m as well).

After that, she was fine with almost anything 👍

Biggest tip: always turn junctions and corners wider than you think you need, and always take your time if unsure, we have found other drivers generally very understanding.

Julie became confident in a very short time, it just takes regular practice.

Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Just dont take too sharp turns. Use a large radius for turns and make sure you're out of any parking spaces before you turn

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Bucharest it is also called the little Paris, with Ialomita river and the canal cutting trough resembling the river Sene. Also in the old days the high educated society all spoke french, then was introduced in the 70's and 80's as a compulsory language in the school curriculum as early as primary classes. I had it in year 5.
We really loved Romania and will be returning for sure. The people are so friendly and the scenery absolutely beautiful. We started in Arad and visited Timisoara which was very moving. We moved onto Sibiu and then Bran via the Transfagarasan pass. We visited Brasov and then Bucharest. We were supposed to spend a few days on the Black Sea coast but our campsite was flooded in Romania and we had to do a quick early move South into Bulgaria.

You must be very proud of your country it’s a hidden gem. Thankyou for giving me more info about Bucharest’s history. I will share it with our group.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Bravo! You’ve come such a long way in your relationship which th your motorhome … I’m so pleased for you.
We only have a PVC but my first time of driving it I followed the Sat Nav which took me unexpectedly through Paris St Denis … luckily it was a Sunday.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Crikey, I don't know about that. I think I'd have parked in the middle of the road ans swapped seats!! You know how i overthink stuff. Can you imagine me in that situation?! :eek::LOL:
I wouldn’t recommend it for your next trip perhaps haha but I think Geraldine’s tip about the motorways or at least larger dual carriageways is a good one. You’re not then worrying about people up your backside. It would give you a really good feel for the van. Geraldine drives an A class now.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I wouldn’t recommend it for your next trip perhaps haha but I think Geraldine’s tip about the motorways or at least larger dual carriageways is a good one. You’re not then worrying about people up your backside. It would give you a really good feel for the van. Geraldine drives an A class now.

I think I'm definitely going to try that. My husband could drive to the N10 and I could take over from there. I could drive for as long as I'm happy with it before coming off again. I think I'd feel happy enough doing that and it would get me used to going at speed. It's a great idea :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Jen had to drive our 8.7 metre A class when I had a problem with my eye and couldn't drive, I did a bit to get her onto the main roads and then she was thrown in at the deep end driving us the rest of the way home, she did some more trips after that as I was stopped from driving for a while, much better to have a go when you want to rather than the stress of when you have to.

I found our 360 surround cameras a big help as I could offer advice re road positioning, Jen might not agree though :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back