Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
Back to Starbucks... I see the bill was for coffee, whipped cream and G. Much cheaper if you don't have the G.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Don't know about Hot chocolate (certainily sounds a nightmare with the cream) but Starbucks coffee is among the worst out there.

Aren't you in a motorhome? I can brew a fantastic freshly ground and brewed coffee in mine. Wouldn't go near it?

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Recently returned from a tour across Yorkshire. During some poor weather my wife (Kim) found in a charity shop a dvd box set of ‘One Foot In The Grave’. It was a full set of 6 cd’s, several years of their TV series plus a Christmas special for £2.50.

I said ‘I don’t believe it’…..

During those wet days it was very enjoyable.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Back to Starbucks... I see the bill was for coffee, whipped cream and G. Much cheaper if you don't have the G.
What is it all about whipped cream then semi slimed milk? Do they take the cream off the milk then charge you twice for the same milk?
I know all about making our own , obviously that's what we useually do but had just been looking around the duty free and just thought we would sit down a bit and have a drink.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What is it all about whipped cream then semi slimed milk? Do they take the cream off the milk then charge you twice for the same milk?
I know all about making our own , obviously that's what we useually do but had just been looking around the duty free and just thought we would sit down a bit and have a drink.
We had an Italian couple set up in the market place it was cheap they made thier own pasta, cakes ( the pistachio cake with condensed milk was to die for) the place was rocking every lunch time. They moved to a restaurant premises the costs have gone up but great food 👍

So when buying anything in a cafe or restaurant your not just paying for the drink/food your paying for the experience, the atmosphere the decor etc which is why Costa, Starbucks Nero’s etc are successful they are a brand and know people like certainty same cups service particular strength of coffee familiarity of the cup etc and no different when going to a burger joint or any other franchise you know roughly what to expect and what you are going to get along with the processed quality of the standardised uniformity of the product.

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Shouldve gone to Costa and had a Chocobabyccino - hot chocolate intended for small children. Started out at 55p per cup, gradually increased but still less than £1. Comes in a slightly bigger than espresso cup and quite enough to satisfy anyone. Perfect for me as I can't stand the buckets all these coffee shops use as cups !! You also get the choice of a chocolate flake or a marshmallow to go with it. Have to ask for it to be thoroughly heated tho' as they normally make it luke warm so little ones don't get burnt......

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Thats nothing.
I won't name the restaurant as they are competitors of ours but a newly opened place in a quite village here in the south- west of France charges -
6 € for an espresso (we charge 1.90 € with a chocolate)
7 € for a 25cl bottled beer (we only stock 33cl and charge 3.90 - 5.00€ depending on brand.

So 2 x espressos = 12 € OUCH! 2 X small beers 14 € Double OUCH!

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Just waiting for the tunnel thought we would have a hot chocolate in Starbucks. :doh: :doh: :doh:
Wait for it:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
Eleven euros and ten pence.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
$8+ for a sourdough loaf in San Diego. The price of everything there makes your eyes water.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Thing is though I have never been in any coffee place before, as it's something I can well manage without, and I can gaurantee I shall probably never be in one again.
I seriously looked at the till and saw 5 euros come up and I thought that's bloody dear even when thinking it was for two nevermind one.
And yet you still paid up, I’d have told them where to put them.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in Avignon surrounded by wonderful French eateries, boulangeries and patisseries

Where was the busiest place in town ? Macdonalds :doh:

Mind you, I walked through a farmers market and had a look at some prices, and they were eyewatering.
Needless to say, few of the stalls were busy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I saw a kettle in a local shop that I thought would be useful for the top of our woodburner ..... £42!!!!!! I walked out.

Got the exact same kettle from a well known online retailer for less than £20 delivered. No wonder the High Street is failing.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Recently returned from a tour across Yorkshire. During some poor weather my wife (Kim) found in a charity shop a dvd box set of ‘One Foot In The Grave’. It was a full set of 6 cd’s, several years of their TV series plus a Christmas special for £2.50.

I said ‘I don’t believe it’…..

During those wet days it was very enjoyable.

We do that quite a lot - buy a film on DVD and then recycle to another charity shop when we are done with it.

$8+ for a sourdough loaf in San Diego. The price of everything there makes your eyes water.
That's what I am now paying for a small gluten-free loaf.

I made bread in the breadmaker today, the ingredients probably cost £3 plus the cost of electric. We had freshly baked bread with salad at lunch time and it was yummy :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back