Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
2007 544sl Ducato

Basically, the radio is cr*p.
1. No Cd player, yeah, I know, old school
2. Won't come on without full ignition on (Inc dashboard lights ?
3. Reception on the move is abysmal !

So , having fitted a few radios, I start with the power source look for perm live, not ignition live. Yellow/red is perm and green is ignition only live. So smart arse thinks, bridge the two and I'll get a permanent feed......which I do....but the ignition stays on even with no keys in !!!!! Scrap that one then!
Next. Aerial. I trace it behind the dash to front left corner and it disappears to god knows where. Been at it and hour now with no progress. Other funny thing is that unlike any aerial I've seen before, where it plugs into the back of the set, there's a red wire from the aerial end plug into the multi plug on the back of the set?

Has anyone upgraded the stereo themselves?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hymer seem to have previous on installing the cheapest crappiest radio/satnav head units available at the time.
Personally, depending on the size of the 'hole' I pay for a professional to install an up to date headunit from the likes of Alpine, Sony, Panasonic etc
You'll get a reversing camera and GPS as well.

OP
OP
zaskar
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Must admit I'm starting to think it's beyond my skill level. I've fitted dozens over the years but the wiring and anti theft systems now used are beyond me 😭
Ps. It's a single din

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630
I have an aftermarket one in a 2003. the ariel is normal and I get decent reception in the normal areas. The routing is bizzarre as there is an ariel on the nearside above the cab but also one in the centre of the roof. I have DAB in my other van as the reception is famously poor in Devon and Cornwall. I pulled the current one out of the hymer with a look to swapping them over and was confronted by a snakes wedding, but it was all stuff I could trace and understand. The current one in the Hymer is the cheapest of cheap but has a fold out screen which can talk to a BT reversing camera. It is single din.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The yellow wire is usually the constant 12v positive and the red wire the switched 12v positive, in my mercedes Hymer the two are connected so I don't need the ignition on. I fitted a Sony head unit and stream music from a tablet over Bluetooth, there are Internet radio stations available which will eliminate the crappy antenna as long as you have a data connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
zaskar
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Just a bit of an update
Mrs Zaskar was clever enough to pair the phone to the (unknown make) head unit so we had Smooth radio all the way up which was nice cos FM reception is non existent on some sections of the Cumbrian M6. Think whilst driving, that will be the way to go . As far as on site music goes, there's no way I'm leaving the ignition on so I think we'll Bluetooth the phone to the soundbar that we have anyway due to crappy Cello TV speakers. 👍
Only downside is that Mr Luddite here is going to have to learn how to download and store all our favourite Enya and Clannad ! Can't wait for that😱 Give me spanners any day🤣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Only downside is that Mr Luddite here is going to have to learn how to download and store all our favourite Enya and Clannad ! Can't wait for that😱 Give me spanners any day🤣
If you have an Amazon prime account you may find them there.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504 2014
Exp
Too long
Regarding poor reception, I have a Pioneer headset and DAB reception off the fitted aerial was non existent. So I looked for a simple install, not the stick on windscreen type but a through glass one. Works ok and affordable. You need a cable to connect from the aerial to the radio, it’s not included. I can’t remember where I got the lead from at the moment.
IMG_4197.png

OP
OP
zaskar
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Regarding poor reception, I have a Pioneer headset and DAB reception off the fitted aerial was non existent. So I looked for a simple install, not the stick on windscreen type but a through glass one. Works ok and affordable. You need a cable to connect from the aerial to the radio, it’s not included. I can’t remember where I got the lead from at the moment.
Thanks Gerry, that looks the business, I'll give it a go. 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504 2014
Exp
Too long
If you buy the aerial ask the seller what exactly the cable is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back