Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Whilst looking to change our 2012 B544 for a newer model, I looked for ages to find another B544 later than 2016 as we wanted euro 6 . But couldn't find one anywhere later than 2015, which wasn't worth doing.

We found a 2017 B543 DL at £75k which suits us, the cost nearly gave me palpitations, but we got more for our B544 than I was expecting. We also considered a Frankia 640, but it was just a step too far in terms of cost.

Whilst looking at used prices, I looked on the Travelworld site at new/nearly Hymer A (B) class vans. I was shocked at the prices for similar build and size to my B534 DL, even used.

And Lenny keeps telling us Hymers are mid range. Just how are people affording these prices ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A used Hymer at £176k :unsure: yes a lot of money, makes a Morelo look like a bargain :LOL: and I don't say or even think that very often, how do people afford them? well the simple answer is some can and some can't and there again some can but won't.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A quick glance at Autotrader shows a Hymer like mine but one year newer and slightly lower mileage.
They are asking £26k more than I paid for mine 5 years ago.

The one for sale is a slightly lower spec, but is one of the first on the 'new' Mercedes Sprinter base, whereas as mine is the last on the 'old' Mercedes Sprinter base vehicles.

It means that mine is still worth considerably more than I paid for it, so I've had 5 years of 'free' use.
Zero depreciation is very rare on vehicles.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you think these pricing levels will continue or be subject to some form of normalisation? Might have a look what they’re asking for the Hymer we bought new in 2019 now…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
It will be interesting to see how the current situation develops over the next few years. Eventually all motorhomes are worthless (scrap). If there has been no depreciation in the last 5 years, when is it going to happen? It has to depreciate at some point.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I think prices has levelled but they haven't dropped. They are still silly. We paid £55k for ours brand new carado (hymers budget brand) in 2019. Now the same model is over £75k. This pushes up the second hand values yes, but the cost to change has gone up. Ours is probably worth the same as we paid new (retail) but current new prices are stretched too far. Surely production costs have not risen that much, if at all.

We were thinking of changing this year but the current T339 is pretty much just the same as ours and we have only done 13k miles. So we are staying put and seeing what develops.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And Lenny keeps telling us Hymers are mid range. Just how are people affording these prices ?
We streatch ourselves to limit used all our cash reserves buying the new Carthago but we use it a fair bit and don't waste our money on other things. Might as well enjoy our last few years.

Hymers have been hyped in this country and people think they are a top range van having had 3 of them I wouldn't agree but they are good compared to a lot of other vans.
As for prices a budget van like a Roller Team will set you back £70k then you will probably add £10k of extras that makes Hymers look cheap for the difference in quality.
We got got £5k less than what we paid for our Hymer 7 years ago as a trade in, Dealer put it up for £3k more than they gave us and sold it in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back