Hymer Headlight - MOT Fail (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The sealed units can be disassembled with hot air and a lot of luck. A good hot air gun heats the glue till it can be separated. Then clean the glue off. Resilver the reflector. Polish the inside of the glass and reassemble with new mastic type glue
It would be worth a go what's the worse that could happen

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And get your insurance loaded for the next 5 years. Last year we had a fault claim of £3500 on a car. We’ve got 3 vehicles including the Moho. 2 renewals so far and the claim has increased our premiums by at least £250. So say £375 for the three. £375 x 5 years is £1875 then plus inflation and whatever they might randomly add.
So still less than 2 grand over 5 years doesn't sound too bad and he might not have three vehicles.

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
As you've ordered one, why not remove the old one and see if you can cut away part of the outer casing to get into the headlight and see if you can make some sort of repair. Or even cut the casing an inch or two from the front lense all the way round, leaving enough to make a repair. It won't hurt having a go .......
At that price i would of certainly had a go.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
worst that happens on that awful design is the glass lets go and becomes a jigsaw puzzle of 6mm cubes
That reminds me, the company I was working for imported glass and there was always damaged crates that could be exploited, I needed a pane for my green house so decided to cut it from a large piece, the only place that had a nice large enough flat surface was the managers office desk. As sonn as I started to score it the whole thing exploded into thousands of pieces, it went everywhere and took a very long time clear up. Never did find all the pieces and the manager couldn't understand why he kept finding bits now and then.

I had no way of knowing the pane I picked was toughend glass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rosie and David
Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
The projector part is the dipped beam, which is above the main beam light (see below). This is a standard H7 bulb/reflector. The cover is glass not perspex and apparently prone to damage from stones. I am between a rock and a hard place at present. Unit ordered from Germany and not drivable until it is fitted by the garage and retested. I will see what is separable when I get it back and post pictures because you never know, next year it may be the nearside that is a problem.

IMG_2042 2.jpeg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Just what I thought. Looks perfect to me.
I would try a different testing place.
Problem is I guess its already failed so will be on record somewhere so new garage would be looking closely at it?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The projector part is the dipped beam, which is above the main beam light (see below). This is a standard H7 bulb/reflector. The cover is glass not perspex and apparently prone to damage from stones. I am between a rock and a hard place at present. Unit ordered from Germany and not drivable until it is fitted by the garage and retested. I will see what is separable when I get it back and post pictures because you never know, next year it may be the nearside that is a problem.

View attachment 888067
We’ve had our 2014 B544 since it was a year old and they’ve always looked like that, the upper one being a ’cloudy’ appearance.
Are you sure it’s not just the MOT place that are not familiar with this type of headlight.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Problem is I guess its already failed so will be on record somewhere so new garage would be looking closely at it?
Forgive me for suggesting such things, but by the time he gets it the free retest will have run out , so nothing to stop him going to another and saying he has had it done.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We’ve had our 2014 B544 since it was a year old and they’ve always looked like that, the upper one being a ’cloudy’ appearance.
Are you sure it’s just not the MOT place that are not familiar with this type of headlight.
Our Hella are not in an enclosure like the OP's but stand alone and they have a cloudy appearance too.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would think if it shines on the testing thing that's it, nothing to do with what it looks like.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
If that’s your headlight that has failed the MOT I’d be using a different garage in future. Plus I’d be reporting that garage to the DVLA or whoever is in charge of them. I’m hoping that’s NOT your failed headlight though.
I’d also be making myself some clear plastic headlight protectors out of some Perspex.

Apr 14, 2018
Gillingham, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i482
Exp
20 years
I have an Exsis i with the multiple light bulbs. My local garage has just failed my MOT as the offside projector lens is cloudy and emits very little light. They have always been dim but even with upgraded night breaker bulbs, they are useless. Does anyone know if the projector unit can be removed and cleaned or replaced replaced at a reasonable price?

David
We have these lights. When we changed insurance I checked on limit for windscreen and headlights amd was told unlimited.(Sterling) Still nervous though. Hella have you over a barrel but there are alternatives. Ours is originally German which I imported to France And subsequently UK.
There is a switch to flatten the beam and it passed UK mot. So maybe look for EU headlight?
Alternatively, with the bulbs out, rig up some sort of cleaning stick to pass mot ?

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
The bad news is the garage not possible to separate the projector unit from the headlight. So it is a complete new headlight. Just ordered one from Brownhills £2152. Going for a lie down after a glass of wine
Man I am sorry to hear you are getting ripped off at that price, just a thought but I used to get day time MOT’s for my bikes, could you not get one off them done and then wait and see if a replacement unit turns up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back