Hymer Headlight - MOT Fail (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
I have an Exsis i with the multiple light bulbs. My local garage has just failed my MOT as the offside projector lens is cloudy and emits very little light. They have always been dim but even with upgraded night breaker bulbs, they are useless. Does anyone know if the projector unit can be removed and cleaned or replaced replaced at a reasonable price?

David

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its usually dirt build up on the rear of the lens ,at first stage but over time the reflector surface degrades , and is not recoverable .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You may be able to get it apart but I doubt it, you can get replacements on eBay about £60 about a third of the price of Hymer.

Mine are the later type with a lever for flat dipping, I put LED bulbs in, I can see in the dark now & it's passed 3 MOT's with them.

Check the part number but here is an example.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rosie and David
Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you, I’ll try and get the headlamp out tomorrow when it stops raining to find the part number. It’s booked in for a retest on Wednesday so may have to delay that. Not an unreasonable price compared with a headlamp replacement. I’ll let you know how it goes. It will be good to see at night anyway!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The bad news is the garage not possible to separate the projector unit from the headlight. So it is a complete new headlight. Just ordered one from Brownhills £2152. Going for a lie down after a glass of wine
Is it an HDI one?

OP
OP
Rosie and David
Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
Is it an HDI one?
No, it's the halogen version. Apparently although it is a Hella light Hymer have the patent so no-one else can make it. Thank goodness it was only one! I think I will keep the old one and put it in a display case. Now got to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I presume you must have xenon bulbs and self levelling 🤔

We got a replacement for just under £1500 from Reliance when we suffered our second glass failure

It does at least come with new bulbs 🙄👍

OP
OP
Rosie and David
Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
I presume you must have xenon bulbs and self levelling 🤔

We got a replacement for just under £1500 from Reliance when we suffered our second glass failure

It does at least come with new bulbs 🙄👍
No, pretty basic Halogen bulbs and not therefore self levelling. I already fitted new bulbs so at least I will have some spare

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
When you get the new one post photos of it and the old one, there might be an innovative soul out there who can figure out how to fix it….

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The bad news is the garage not possible to separate the projector unit from the headlight. So it is a complete new headlight. Just ordered one from Brownhills £2152. Going for a lie down after a glass of wine
I would be asking them to justify that price. :eek:

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I have an Exsis i with the multiple light bulbs. My local garage has just failed my MOT as the offside projector lens is cloudy and emits very little light. They have always been dim but even with upgraded night breaker bulbs, they are useless. Does anyone know if the projector unit can be removed and cleaned or replaced replaced at a reasonable price?

David
Pardon my ignorance, but which part is the projector lens? My reason for asking is that a stone punched a hole in the perspex cover on ours. Fortunately, the piece was just hanging on and I managed to refix it with clear epoxy. I was under the impression that this would not create a MOT fail. There is o ly a slight discolouration on the seam of the repair. Nothing that would prevent the passage of light IMHO.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No, it's the halogen version. Apparently although it is a Hella light Hymer have the patent so no-one else can make it. Thank goodness it was only one! I think I will keep the old one and put it in a display case. Now got to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive.
They used to be about £1k but only £700 in Germany, that price doesn't sound right it sounds like the price for the HID ones like Davids.

Have you had the unit it out yourself to see if it comes apart, you may have been given miss information.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As you've ordered one, why not remove the old one and see if you can cut away part of the outer casing to get into the headlight and see if you can make some sort of repair. Or even cut the casing an inch or two from the front lense all the way round, leaving enough to make a repair. It won't hurt having a go .......

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They used to be about £1k but only £700 in Germany, that price doesn't sound right it sounds like the price for the HID ones like Davids.

Have you had the unit it out yourself to see if it comes apart, you may have been given miss information.

The glass is bonded on, technically it must be removable as it was assembled , but definitely not a garage option

A very clever member on here put a thick plastic cover on my last broken unit for less than 10% of the cost of a new light

So there are options, but way beyond low level DIYers

Of course I will never need it now 🙄😁

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
At that price I would be looking at fitting alternative headlights.

There must be alternatives for the chassis, I can't see white van man paying that sort of price? 😱

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
At that price I would be looking at fitting alternative headlights.

There must be alternatives for the chassis, I can't see white van man paying that sort of price? 😱
Unfortunately not, photo below looking at it I would have thought it must be possible to replace the Hella units in them.

1713434118069.png

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Unfortunately not, photo below looking at it I would have thought it must be possible to replace the Hella units in them.

View attachment 887003
I would have thought, in these days of 3D printing, something could be found.
It might not look the same but, for less than £2000+ a cheaper alternative could be found for future headlight problems.

When an alternative is found, Rosie and David could flog the good original one on the other side and use the money as startup capital for a new headlight supply business? 😄

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The sealed units can be disassembled with hot air and a lot of luck. A good hot air gun heats the glue till it can be separated. Then clean the glue off. Resilver the reflector. Polish the inside of the glass and reassemble with new mastic type glue

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
can you catch it on your gate and claim it on the insurance?
Just asking.
And get your insurance loaded for the next 5 years. Last year we had a fault claim of £3500 on a car. We’ve got 3 vehicles including the Moho. 2 renewals so far and the claim has increased our premiums by at least £250. So say £375 for the three. £375 x 5 years is £1875 then plus inflation and whatever they might randomly add.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back