Hymer habitation door - FAP internal lock - (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Hi
Help needed .... I have a Hymer T 698CL - I am having trouble with my habitation door lock it’s a 'Fap internal door lock' . Either getting locked in or locked out - catch sticking, when indoors can just get my finger in to flick it back in place. not sure how to remove the casing on the lock to look inside to see if anything is broken - ( not that I will know what to look for ) :unsure:

So expensive to replace £258.00. - so hoping can be repaired, but then again will need to know how to take it off.

Fingers crossed Funsters can help

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Sorry but have you tried just lubricant spay .
Just to free it up,
My door was playing up a few weeks wouldn’t lock / unlock
With central locking,
Sprayed a bit wax lubricant on working parts
And been working fine ever since.
Maybe different situation for you.
But definitely worth a try.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know whether this is of any help to you, but here's a photo of ours.
1000006638.jpg
We've currently got it off because we've been fixing the top and bottom door catches, both of which had stopped working because the screws had come loose.
Often, the problem with the catches is that the springs break. Replacement springs are available on e-bay for around £12.
The big problem is removing the inner plastic panel from the door, in order to access the lock and catches.
You need to be both strong and brave to remove it and replace it afterwards.
We had some good advice from Lenny HB regarding the process.
You need to prise the plastic molding from under the white trim which runs all round the edge of it. We used wallpaper scrapers to ease it off. The sides must be done first, then you can work on the top and bottom edges. Not easy but possible.
When replacing it, you need to refit the top and bottom edges first.
If you are a member of the Hymer Owners Facebook group, there is some valuable information on there, with photos.
Good luck! We did it last week and it was a nightmare. However, comfort yourself with the knowledge that, if we can do it, anyone can.🙂

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Thank you for your advice .... I have sprayed it with WD-40 unfortunately no improvement
Love your reply Bellabee ..... must say not quite filling me with confidence to give it a go but 'never say never' - sure will be more positive after a glass or two off Sauv
Not on Hymer Owners Facebook but I know someone who is ... so will be popping round to see them this week :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have sprayed it with WD-40 unfortunately no improvement
Oh dear. Get yourself some isopropanol alcohol spray, clean it thoroughly with that to remove the WD40 and then use a proper silicone spray lubricant. NB: You must use Isopropanol in a well ventilated area and nowhere near a naked flame. Do not get it on you skin if you can avoid it.

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Thanks Meanders - sprayed and fingers crossed at the moment its not sticking
Away for a week lets see how it behaves
Thanks again to all Funsters that gave me their advice