Hymer Conversion to Lithium (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Decided to 'bite the bullet' and replace my version of the Hymer 'Smart' Battery system with a full blown lithium set-up. Reason: I have an issue with one of the AGMs and whilst the system has generally served me well it seems pointless to buy 3 new AGMs when there are lots of cost effective lithium alternatives. Just wanted to run my plans past those with more technical knowledge or experience of similar:

Fit 2 x 230Ah LifePO4 Batteries
Change EBL settings to Lithium profile via the control panel - this will enable me to continue using the charging module (20A).
Remove the two auxiliary chargers (LAS 1218 & LAS1218 BUS) as neither has a lithium setting.
Fit a new mains charger to work alongside the EBL module (50A).
Replace Schaudt LRM1218 Solar Regulator with a Votronic one with lithium profile. (currently have 240w of solar but may well add another 200w to this after the winter - so I could go large with the new MPPT in anticipation of this increase in size).
Fit a votronic computer and votronic solar monitor.
Inverter to stay - normal factory fitted Dometic 1800w.
Everything else eg, cables etc seems to be fine.
Any observations / suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
Buddy1012
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Thanks for that - that's useful. I've had a totally Victron enabled house for few years so well versed in the reliability and robustness of the kit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buddy1012
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Fit a Victron solar controller as the Votronic one you would need is the 430 there have been problems with them with Lithium.
On the solar side - would it be okay to keep any new panels completely separate and use one smaller MPPT for the existing panels and keep this via the EBL and then fit another MPPT and additional solar panels directly to the leisure batteries? (The existing route via the EBL would take care of the cab battery connection without the need to route an additional cable through from the 2nd MPPT).

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No reason why you can't use more than one solar controller but best to connect them direct to the batteries as you get about a 5% loss through the EBL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On the solar side - would it be okay to keep any new panels completely separate and use one smaller MPPT for the existing panels and keep this via the EBL and then fit another MPPT and additional solar panels directly to the leisure batteries? (The existing route via the EBL would take care of the cab battery connection without the need to route an additional cable through from the 2nd MPPT).
I have done our Hymer conversion myself and left the two existing solar panels controlled by the existing buttner controller as it does a good job I then added another 240 watts of solar using a Victron smart controller it all works really well in tandem using bus bars and victron multi plus inverter charger.
I actually disconnected EBL from mains but still use it for the 12v circuits.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
On a side not we put a Fogstar 280ah battery in our Hymer as recommended by Offgrid, reason being the 280 has 8000 cycles whereas 230 is only 4000. They said its the best cost effective battery, and will be about 300ah in reality, just like the 230ah are about 10% over.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back