Hydraulic levellers (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Imala 615
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome!
Where are you based?
Many posts on this if you use the Search function. However, here's just one:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
They are bloody expensive, but worth it. Having said that, we are using ramps on our new van as I haven’t summonsed up the courage to splash out about 6k again. Loved them on our last van.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Struggled for a while with the thought of spending all that money, but now we would not have another van without them.

There are other benefits of having them, like wheel changing and changing discs and brake pads as I did a couple of weeks back.

1712431681832.png

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Welcome tae the mad House...
You will get many many conflicting answers to your request..
Some can't live without them... some think they waste of money..
My question to you is, how level do you want/need to be..... If like me, as long as fridge works, and on modern fridges that is quite an angle, or do you need it billiard table flat..
We don't even use leveling ramps unless it is a serious slope..!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Imala 615
Welcome!
Where are you based?
Many posts on this if you use the Search function. However, here's just one:
Hi, We are in West Sussex.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome tae the mad House...
You will get many many conflicting answers to your request..
Some can't live without them... some think they waste of money..
My question to you is, how level do you want/need to be..... If like me, as long as fridge works, and on modern fridges that is quite an angle, or do you need it billiard table flat..
We don't even use leveling ramps unless it is a serious slope..!!
They do more than level the 'van, they also keep it rock steady when you're moving around. They also mean you can ditch the jack.

You pays your money and you takes your choice but I wouldn't be without them.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They do more than level the 'van, they also keep it rock steady when you're moving around. They also mean you can ditch the jack.

You pays your money and you takes your choice but I wouldn't be without them.
Think that is what I was trying to say...
And I would not pay the money for something I don't need...
As you say.. I did not pays my money and still took my choice..but I can live without them...

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
Personally I think it’s worth the money, tested it out a few times and it makes the van rock steady, last year it was difficult getting the van level and I kept finding I had slid down the mattress during the night.
Also when parked on a slope, water collects to the front, but by lifting one side, the water simply runs off the roof. I washed the roof and put it on an angle and the water slid off. I noticed when the wind blows the van rocks, but on the ramps it’s solid. We are away for 12 weeks in Europe from next week here we will fully test it out. Then in July and August we have 6 weeks away in Scotland Norfolk and North Yorkshire, before heading back to Europe for 12 more weeks, by the end of this year we will know if the 5k was really worth it. I think it will make nights more comfortable. It only takes 3 mins to lift up and ramp down.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The rear hydraulic levelers are usually installed behind the rear wheels of the van. I am concerned they could be hit against a high curb when reversing or when parking with the van overhang over the grass behind a parking space.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If you can afford it, go for it. I never give it a thought about having them but when I bought the Burstner I have now they were on there already and love having them. If you intend to keep the motorhome then it will be money well spent. One thing a lot of peaple forget is that fitting them is going onto your payload as it’s an extra so try and find out how much they weigh. Good luck. 👍

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Definitely worth the money. One of the reasons we just changed our minds about buying a much newer motorhome. We have HPC, fitted by AS Suspension in Warrington who were supplying and fitting HPC long before others.
Well worth going out of your way to get the right system fitted by the best people, we travelled across country to Warrington when there were much nearer fitters with different systems.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I would love to have them , main benefit for me would be changing a wheel , how often do you do that . ? of course levelling on site is main benefit,
But that a lot of money . I can get by without.
I recently installed rear air suspension (diy £380) not used on site yet only on driveway as only installed a week ago .
I can level the van out to a certain degree and feels steady when walking round .
I can tilt van for emptying grey etc .
But you may need leveller ramp on front end but I hardly used them in the pass to be honest.
I would definitely have if money no object.
But other things are more important.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Definitely worth the money. One of the reasons we just changed our minds about buying a much newer motorhome. We have HPC, fitted by AS Suspension in Warrington who were supplying and fitting HPC long before others.
Well worth going out of your way to get the right system fitted by the best people, we travelled across country to Warrington when there were much nearer fitters with different systems.
I think HPC and E&P are the two most established systems and agree that it's worth travelling to find a good fitter. For E&P, I would highly recommend SAP at Doncaster as would many others.

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
We had them installed on our last van and loved them. Haven’t got them on this one because I can’t part with the 6k ish to have them done. Is the convenience worth so much to you? Only you can answer that

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The rear hydraulic levelers are usually installed behind the rear wheels of the van. I am concerned they could be hit against a high curb when reversing or when parking with the van overhang over the grass behind a parking space.
Once or twice ours grounded a little when going over sleeping policemen….a little bit too fast🙄 no damage, just a scrape.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have just had E&P levellers fitted to our Burstner by Rosmia at Bolney (West Sussex) for £6500 having had them on a previous Pilote . Personally I think they are worth it as Mrs Colpot needs to be absolutely level to sleep.
The joys of trying to get level with ramps has been replaced by a couple of button presses so happy days.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We can reverse over kerbs/verges of about 4/5 inches but we also have rear air assist to lift the back end higher if necessary.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We have e&p levelling system fitted together with e&p full air suspension.
Expensive but a game changer in terms of ride, comfort, stability and push one button to level up taking time of the weight off the tyres.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I had the amplo system fitted by Towtal in Stoke, £5250 4.5 tonne motor. Took 1 day, got curtesy car, showed twice how to use it and answered questions after, got operating manual, 4 heavy duty floor pads. Remote control, 3 year Guarantee, if I change van they will take it off and fit to new van.
Great service. Would highly recommend.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.

And don't forget the hydraulic crimping tool to make off the ends of hydraulic hoses. ;) (y)

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Dear fellow Motorhomers
Best money spent on extras ...(£4.5k three years ago) Level in seconds, steady in strong winds, easy to change tyres/wheels and most important.....not heard as yet, of a moho being stolen when on them. A good visual deterrent then???

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Dear fellow Motorhomers
Had them before and they were great. Won't fit them to my 6m PVC.

"Worth the outlay" is a very difficult question. It's in the eye of the beholder. £ 6k outlay and loss of payload. And in return you get the considerable convenience. How many days a year do I use the van, for how many years? Divide £ 6k by the number of nights. If it's a hundred nights it's £ 60 a night; if 600 nights it's £ 10 a night.

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Has anyone fitted the I mave system, saw them advertised at the harrogate show a couple of weeks back. It's a uk made system and around 4 1/2 k

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
Had them before and they were great. Won't fit them to my 6m PVC.

"Worth the outlay" is a very difficult question. It's in the eye of the beholder. £ 6k outlay and loss of payload. And in return you get the considerable convenience. How many days a year do I use the van, for how many years? Divide £ 6k by the number of nights. If it's a hundred nights it's £ 60 a night; if 600 nights it's £ 10 a night.
I think that is a very good way of looking at it. I suspect many people fall into the £60 a night (and more) category, which does make it a different proposition

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
Mine sit behind the back wheel as you mention, but with a normal height curb the levellers clear over the top easily. If the curb was so high that you caught the levellers you wouldn’t want to park with the back of the van overhanging anyhow, no normal parking spot has a curb high enough to be of concern.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back