Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Am crossing the Channel in a fortnights time for a three week break. Thinking of going to Germany for a change. But we have a (small, well-behaved) dog with us. He has travelled often to France and been well-received.
What is Germany like for hunds? Are they allowed on public transport? In bars and restaurants?
Any advice appreciated from caninophiles who've been there 🙂.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I can’t be sure but I seem to recall there is one European country that requires dogs on buses to be muzzled.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You may find these journals useful
In short, followed the Danube on an Ebike in Germany and stopped at every appropriate moment where there was beer available.
There is even a doggy beach which gets a review on the way back around their Lake District.
"Germany previous" journal may interest you as well
There is a Monastery on the Danube where they do the worlds best beer or somethning like that which is a bit of a good day out with Danube cruise through the gorges on the way back

If it is of any use to you bung me a message and I can share my map with you in a read only version

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
The Germans are very dog-friendly and will allow you into all restaurants and beer houses with them.

However, if you are planning to go on public transport don't make the same mistake we did last year by not buying a child ticket for our little dog.
It's a 60 euro fine on trains. We were lucky and only got put off the train by a very angry Train ticket master and told to buy a ticket for the dog before we got back on the next train.:LOL:

Apart from that its great taking your dog to German we have done for 8 years now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
Agree with the above, we had our Lab with us for over two weeks in Germany last summer. On that trip I'm sure the dog was one one at least of the following ... bus, boat, tram, train and a gondola. No problem with any of those, but yes, I'm sure we bought a child ticket for the train.

Can't remember her having to wear a muzzle at all in Germany, but we have a "halti" we use when out around town, which looks a bit muzzle like, as she doesn't pull wearing that. The previous year in Spain we did ensure we had a muzzle with us at all times even if she wasn't wearing it, as Spain is much less dog friendly (but not awfully so).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back