How were your dogs and cats last night? (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Normally our dogs are okay with fireworks, but last night Mrs. Odd was in A&E, thankfully back home now, I suppose I was stressed and the dogs pick up on that. Poor Albert was really frightened by the bangs and refused to go outside for toileting. He did calm down after a couple of hours but didn't relax until Mrs. Odd was back home.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Snoring away.
IMG_1873.jpeg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Yoshi was fine, he seemed unfazed by it all. My goats aren’t bothered about them either, i always shut them in their shed when there are a lot of fireworks going off, they get quite angry about being shut in 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I swear Betty likes to go out and watch them. She actually sits watching them. Don't agree with them though, one dog in the village had escaped and was frightened to death.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hope Mrs Odd is ok now?
It was non stop fireworks all evening here but thankfully Rosie not bothered, she barked once at a couple of really loud sudden ones that sounded as if in our back garden, no neighbours in our road have fireworks and we back onto wooded ground and a river with houses on the otherside. I wondered if some people were on the river path but there are so many trees and it is very muddy. Apart from that, it is all just echoes across the valley.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Yes thanks, she had a headache and asked a pharmacist about what she should take but because of the meds she is on he told her to go to A&E, 9 hours wasted but best to be safe.
I hope Mrs Odd is ok. Just out of interest, was she consulted on her new name and does she prefer it to ‘Mrs Ex’? 🫢

This was my dog last year in the van with fireworks going on all around.

1699176991105.png

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
The beagles were totally unfazed but Sammie, our 13 year old Jack Russell Terrierist absolutely hates them and always has. We dread the three months of Guy Fawkes night (starts with Diwali, goes through Halloween, Guy Fawkes, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years) as she howls , barks and almost screams. We've tried so many things but nothing works for her

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It was piddling down last night, so I wasn’t expecting any fireworks (we don’t get many around us anyway) but we had about 4 loud bangs and a couple of whizzes and that sent the dog around the back of the sofa for the whole evening, shaking like a leaf. It’s pitiful to see and nothing we do can comfort her 😞

We know that there will be a public display tonight, a few miles down the road, so we will be prepared and Faith will be given her nutracalm tablets. They don’t stop her reaction but they do take the edge of off it.

I also have horses at home and they tolerate it better but I bring them into the barn to make sure they are safe. I’ve known of too many horses breaking loose and getting killed on the roads.

I hate fireworks and how they can affect humans, animals and the wildlife. I wish they were only available for public displays.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Our Black Lab / Viszla cross was born on a clay pigeon and rifle range so is totally unfazed by the banging but we had a major storm last night and she is terrified of wind noises when she is indoors! Out in the wind with her ears flapping about she is fine but whistley noises through the cracks are completely different. Funnily enough Guy Fawkes celebrations are not a thing in France anymore than Trafalgar Day is!

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
LWB Sprinter
I would like to see a ban on public sales. Fine public displays, but let's keep them out of the idiots hands.
On second thoughts keep them in the idiots hands maybe they would be so keen when they were hurt.
I and my dog are lucky no fireworks round here, but my daughter's dogs are nervous wrecks for 2 or 3 weeks every year at this time.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yogi isn’t bothered at all. Nala is more highly strung and was reluctant to go on her walk (VERY unusual for her). She slept tucked in to Yogi.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Our oldest one hates them and goes into panic-mode, it’s so upsetting to see.
So I’ve found a lay-by miles from anywhere and we will overnight there for 3 nights
We get there about 3pm to get him walked/fed/settled, overnight there and get back home for brekkie.
Friday night was Classic FM, Gave up last night and put on The Proclaimers instead

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Jamie is usually frantic when fireworks go off nearby. Last night a couple of barks but then he got taken for a walk (which he never refuses) and was uninterested, and quiet for the rest of the evening. Fortunately though we don't get many fireworks around us and heavy rain probably reduced that number.
Hope it's just as peaceful tonight.

Feb 19, 2023
France the Pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 2002
Exp
Newby to Motorhome but not to traveling, caravaning and camping
This is when I am very glad to live in the middle of nowhere! They bark at the hunters, but when they hear a shot they all (6) run inside. Love to all your fur babies.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
The beagles were totally unfazed but Sammie, our 13 year old Jack Russell Terrierist absolutely hates them and always has. We dread the three months of Guy Fawkes night (starts with Diwali, goes through Halloween, Guy Fawkes, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years) as she howls , barks and almost screams. We've tried so many things but nothing works for her

This is when I am very glad to live in the middle of nowhere! They bark at the hunters, but when they hear a shot they all (6) run inside. Love to all your fur babies.
We specifically come away (good excuse) when fireworks kick off due to the huge amount off dickheads setting them off at all times. ;) For our sanity as well as the dogs that are terrified of the noise.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Poor Gina hated any bang, would take ages to get used to the crop scarers!
Pippa doesn’t care, she hears them and looks but a quick game or a treat and she totally ignores the fireworks.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Muttly Paddy was better last night than last year. This is his second year in this country so he may not have been near fireworks in Romania. Our naibors dog got really upset by a very loud bang earlier in the week. He is an ex street dog from Lithuanian.
We normally have an evening walk about half eight but it was ten last night before we got out. Last New Year we had fireworks until two in the morning. Poor muttly must have been desperate by then.

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Olly our Schitzu. Is absolutely petrified and shakes violently for hours. This year we got medication from the vets a plug in calmer unit 50 quid wasted. It started here on Hollowean night and every night since last night started at 5.30 and finally stopped at 11.00pm, and will probably start again to night for another week.

I would like to see it limited to November 5th only or organised displays only.
Just started as I am typing 5.45.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Our dogs are outside barking and now the sheep in the adjacent field are making a racket as they are scared too, not sure if it's the fireworks or my dogs scaring them so I will bring my dogs in and see if the sheep calm down:cry:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I am really angry this year at the really loud banging fireworks there is no need for them at all. The horses as well as the sheep around here must be terrified:cry:

Feb 19, 2023
France the Pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 2002
Exp
Newby to Motorhome but not to traveling, caravaning and camping
There has just been a piece on Radio 2 about firework noise. I personally gate the loud bangs myself, the ones you can feel in your chest. Anyway there are fireworks now that just have a whoosh but no loud bangs, animal friendly. New fireworks these days are being made louder and bigger, and those really meant for large organised displays seem to be available on line or in local shops, they are far too loud for private gardens. There is sadly a market for the louder and bigger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back