How to remove broken off bit of water heater inlet fixing? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
It's hard to take a pic, as it's in such an enclosed space.
The pipe connector has broken off on the wrong side of the hexagonal bit that takes a spanner, leaving the part with screw thread in the metal lug of the heater. In the middle of it is the non return valve but I can't seem to get a grip on it with anything (long nosed pliers came the closest).
I'm thinking perhaps a large screwdriver jammed into the hole would grip enough to unscrew the bit that's still there? I don't currently have such a screwdriver, so am scratching my head somewhat!
Any suggestions gratefully received.

p.s. Somewhere I have one of those screw removal kits, I will look for it when I'm done posting this, is it likely to be any use?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I can’t say I know what you are talking about, but, you have something that is snapped off, you need to get it out. Is what I think I understand. What is it made of plastic/metal?

As you say screw removal kit may work, but often they are tapered so as you add force to extract they are forcing the fitting to be bigger, which is not what you want. I often hammer in a torx bit in a socket which I find bites into the sides without adding expansion to the stuck part. If plastic you could even do this whilst the Torx bit is hot so could melt/cut into the plastic.

OP
OP
M
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Plastic. I was going to have a moan about plastic going brittle with age, but thought better of it, and forgot to even mention it! :oops:
It's quite large diameter (about 1cm ) so a torx bit isn't big enough.
I don't think the screw remover is big enough either, also the valve is in the way. I'll give it a try in a minute. I'll probably end up breaking it into bits in the end. Application of heat is an interesting avenue to explore first though. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Plastic. I was going to have a moan about plastic going brittle with age, but thought better of it, and forgot to even mention it! :oops:
It's quite large diameter (about 1c ) so a torx bit isn't big enough.
I don't think the screw remover is big enough either, also the valve is in the way. I'll give it a try in a minute. I'll probably end up breaking it into bits in the end. Application of heat is an interesting avenue to explore first though. Thanks. :)
Use a hacksaw blade (junior if needed) cut through to thread 3 or 4 times collapse into center with a small screwdriver

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it is very hard to get at carver's are not that difficult to pull out from outside so you can get at it, but obviously you would have to disconnect the gas pipe.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If plastic and has a 1cm (10mm) hole in it heat something flat up such as a full-size hacksaw blade, poke into the plastic, so the blade melts two groves for itself. Then once cool put adjustable spanner on blade and use that to wind fitting out.

How much of the fitting is sticking out?

OP
OP
M
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
If it is very hard to get at carver's are not that difficult to pull out from outside so you can get at it, but obviously you would have to disconnect the gas pipe.
Access isn't too bad, just it's too dark to take a picture. Even if it was sitting on a table, the problem would still be actually 'how to get it out'.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You could use one of those masonry bolts that goes into the fitting then expands to grip it. I know that risks pushing out the plastic and making it stick more, but it might work. Especially if you roughen up the outside sleeve of the bolt so it grips better. Maybe even try a plastic wall plug with a screw in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Hacksaw blades and heat sound like the way forward, thanks folks. I have to call it a day for today, I'll have another go at it tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. :)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
It's hard to take a pic, as it's in such an enclosed space.
The pipe connector has broken off on the wrong side of the hexagonal bit that takes a spanner, leaving the part with screw thread in the metal lug of the heater. In the middle of it is the non return valve but I can't seem to get a grip on it with anything (long nosed pliers came the closest).
I'm thinking perhaps a large screwdriver jammed into the hole would grip enough to unscrew the bit that's still there? I don't currently have such a screwdriver, so am scratching my head somewhat!
Any suggestions gratefully received.

p.s. Somewhere I have one of those screw removal kits, I will look for it when I'm done posting this, is it likely to be any use?
As Lany Andy said but a wood chisel i have used before for the carver cascade fittings

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I would guess I've done atleast 20 carver fittings as I described above very quick easy and worked every time without fuss

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back