How to lock the passenger door with no power (1 Viewer)

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
Hello everyone

I have a Swift on a 2016 Fiat Ducato. I have removed the engine battery to recharge it. Obviously this means no central locking using the key fob. I can lock the driver's door manually using the key, but this does not lock the other cab door and I cannot find any way of locking this. There is no obvious, manual lock on the inside of the cab.

I am guessing that if the passenger door was locked before removing the battery and kept locked whilst the battery was removed, this might be an answer; but this is a very difficult thing to achieve since the battery is positioned under the floor adjacent to the passenger door!!!!

This seems to me to be beyond belief and I am thinking there must be a way to lock the passenger door manually. I have read the manual (which, as always, is as clear as mud), but all efforts are to no avail.

Does anyone know the answer to this, or is it simply the case that No battery = No way to lock the passenger door?

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Graham

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have a strap arm rest to arm rest except when driving as others will confirm

OP
OP
F.M.C.Fourier

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
So the door is locked.

Battery is charged.

Battery is returned.

Ohhhhhhh Shiiiiiiiiiiit - how do I fit the battery which needs the passenger door open ?

OK, I'm in a generous mood - jumper leads.

This kind of sarcastic response is unhelpful and not at all friendly. It is also misguided since there is an obvious answer as someone else has already given.

You simply unlock the driver's door with the key, reach across and open the passenger door from inside. Meanwhile my my van is secure from anyone thinking about stealing any of the contents! So I wasn't being stupid at all.

OP
OP
F.M.C.Fourier

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
Thank you to all helpful replies. Problem seems to be solved and very quickly too.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Little hole in door you can flick the lock with a screwdriver

Edit, Ahhh just seen video posted!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This kind of sarcastic response is unhelpful and not at all friendly.

So I wasn't being stupid at all.

No one said you were being stupid, I thought I'd seen a possible real problem in the advice given on YouTube. It looks like I was wrong though I did own a Ford that prevented the interior handles from working when locked so a thief could not do the coat hanger trick.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No one said you were being stupid, I thought I'd seen a possible real problem in the advice given on YouTube. It looks like I was wrong though I did own a Ford that prevented the interior handles from working when locked so a thief could not do the coat hanger trick.
You can set the Ducato locks so they cannot be opened from inside, by double pressing the key,
Oh . . . . or is it single press
Oh gosh now I’ve forgotten! :unsure:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can set the Ducato locks so they cannot be opened from inside, by double pressing the key,

Now you mention it that was how the Ford worked. I did in fact lock my keys in that car once but luckily I'd only single clicked it so I managed the coat hanger trick. I was leaving a factory is Scotland late on Friday and I stood there in disbelief, I had no money, no transport and a very worried look on my face.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Will this help?

It's super easy after watching this video..

My main concern is an insurance claim with my battery removed (mine's been off and charged since the start of the lockdown) because the alarm is inoperative

Maybe mitigated by the fact that my car (a damn Jaguar ePace :giggle:) is next to the MH and therefore the MH can't be towed (or driven) out of the space because of the rear body swing without them stealing the Cub too or damaging both...

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This kind of sarcastic response is unhelpful and not at all friendly. It is also misguided since there is an obvious answer as someone else has already given.

You simply unlock the driver's door with the key, reach across and open the passenger door from inside. Meanwhile my my van is secure from anyone thinking about stealing any of the contents! So I wasn't being stupid at all.

Despite being a member for nine years you obviously haven't become familiar with hilldweller's sense of humour. ;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It just so happens that the lever inside the door is the exact one used by thieves to break into ducatos. a tiny hole by the door handle surround and you have access to the lever that also releases the central locking. achieved using a small sharpened screwdriver which pretty much pushes through the thin outer steel skin. Much the same thickness as a tin of beans etc, so if you want to see how easy it is for yourself, raid the recycling bin and sharpen a small screwdriver

Feb 28, 2023
Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I'm a relative Newbie
Just used the search bar and up it came complete with video to demonstrate. Think this should have another airing as I'm sure few Ducato Owners know of this. I previously had to remove the battery and found I had to leave the door unlocked and prayed the Secure Park would deter attention.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
only feels like last week this thread was being discussed. Over 3 years wow

Feb 28, 2023
Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I'm a relative Newbie
only feels like last week this thread was being discussed. Over 3 years wow
I to was amazed. With the vast amount of MH using the Fiat Ducato base to date, it's the sort of question that one would have thought been asked regularly. Well done the Forum and the search facility.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Problem is that too many of us consider some things as common knowledge, but it is a worrying unknown to a new owner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back