How to connect suitcase solar panels? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
A friend of ours has just moved from caravan to motorhome. With the caravan he connected his suitcase solar panels to the easily accessible leisure battery using crocodile clips. However, the motorhome has its leisure battery below the driver's seat so it is not easy to access and connect the crocodile clips. He's looking for a way to conveniently connect the suitcase solar.

It seemed to me that there should be a way to run cables from the leisure battery to some sort of socket, perhaps mounted on a side skirt, so that the solar cable can be plugged in (replacing the crocodile clips). Is there something suitable available to do this, or any other tried and tested method? Has anyone here done this?

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have just got 200w folding panels and run through a second victron controller installed in a side locker, connected with an Anderson plug.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Depending on the size of the panels a charge controller may be needed.
We had a suitcase panel many years ago when we caravaned. It was very lightweight. When we switched to a Moho we decided the tiny charge it gave us didn’t compensate for the setting up hassles, especially compared to a larger panel permanently wired into the roof.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I have used these before nice and neat.

Linkstyle 2Pcs SAE Cable Connector, 12AWG Solar SAE Socket Weatherproof Sidewall Port, 2 Pin SAE To SAE Cable Plug Quick Connect Solar Panel Mount with 4 Screws for Solar Generator Battery Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4KB993W?tag=mhf04-21

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back