How to activate a new sim in MIFI

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Also shows that it is connected as Tesco but in mifi can’t find it and just goes back to O2 and then doesn’t work. Is it supposed to say Tesco on the midi unit

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
IMG_6317.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Try changing the name to Tesco Internet, other then that I can't see anything wrong, i'm using the Huawei hi link app not the AI life one.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I have tried both of above. Can’t access the old HUAWEI app and can’t remember my password etc. tried to put old app back on but it just directed me to Ai life ine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have tried both of above. Can’t access the old HUAWEI app and can’t remember my password etc. tried to put old app back on but it just directed me to Ai life ine
Have you changed the name to Tesco Internet?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
It’s. I good. I keep trying but each time it says I am connected to Tesco internet but won’t connect on mi-fi. Defaults back to O2 and won’t work!! Why me!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It’s. I good. I keep trying but each time it says I am connected to Tesco internet but won’t connect on mi-fi. Defaults back to O2 and won’t work!! Why me!!
I'm really sorry but I can't think of anything else to help, what is the model of mifi you have? I can try and find a manual to see if there is something we are missing.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
No used it for Tiekom, smarty & popit
If it's like the ZTE as mentioned above I'll pulled hair out initially until I realised you can't change any apn setting whilst the data mode is active. on ZTE this is disable mobile data/data mode (breaking all internet in progress), change the apn, switch it back.

No idea if yours is similar but thought worth mentioning, as this is apparently a chipset limitation (all the suppliers use the same chips) on some mobile chipsets -> so it literlaly will set back to the default if you don't do this.

It even showed in the auto/manual APN settings, you couldn't switch between them, it would accept changes and just stay in auto mode.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Do you mean disable mobile data/data mode on the midi unit? If so how do I do that. Really appreciate all the help I am getting

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Do you mean disable mobile data/data mode on the midi unit? If so how do I do that. Really appreciate all the help I am getting
Yes it's a toggle switch in both the app and the 192.168.0.1 interface. You can't change ANYTHING whilst it's on, which is likely why you having issues. Van is in storage until tonight so I can't take a screenshot, but I think theres one above, as someone else above had same issue. Why the ZTE manual isn't clear on you not being able to change a thing whilst the data connection is on is VERY annoying.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well either I am being stupid or Tesco are playing silly beggars. Tried everything from above. Getting more & more confused with passwords and log ins and still in spite of it saying connected to Tesco on app it will just default to O2 and then not work at all. Ive rechecked it in phone. Tried to access the 192.168..1 interface but can only do that on a phone not PC for some reason and then it asked for a password and the usual admin admin doesn't work so freezes me out. Going to keep trying although I have literally spent all day trying to before I cancel my Tesco contract. It must just be something simple but my brain cant sort it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I may have been wrong before about type of mifi It says 4G LTE advanced router on front if that helps

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Well either I am being stupid or Tesco are playing silly beggars. Tried everything from above. Getting more & more confused with passwords and log ins and still in spite of it saying connected to Tesco on app it will just default to O2 and then not work at all. Ive rechecked it in phone. Tried to access the 192.168..1 interface but can only do that on a phone not PC for some reason and then it asked for a password and the usual admin admin doesn't work so freezes me out. Going to keep trying although I have literally spent all day trying to before I cancel my Tesco contract. It must just be something simple but my brain cant sort it.
For the password try the wifi password on my huawei mifi that gets me logged on so I can change settings.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I may have been wrong before about type of mifi It says 4G LTE advanced router on front if that helps
if it's a ZTE it doesn't have a username, it's just a password (which is written next to the sim card inside the unit).
You can change it, but a factory reset will reset it to the factory password on the sticker.

Check the back of your router near the sim slot it should have the actual brand and model number. They all have slightly different user interfaces, but ZTE's don't tend to have a username, just a password, printed right next to the wifi SSID and password.

My eyesight is that bad it's best to take a photo of the password with a phone to take a record of it, as reading it with my actual eyes is a bit small print.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
And virtual networks won't usually say "Smarty" on the unit, mine would say Three on a smarty sim. I have no idea with Tesco as it's a lot more money in my opnion at least for a Tesco sim compared with the £5 a month I pay.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I am
Wondering if there is any difference in whether you have a contract or are PAYG. I opted for the former as being least hassle!!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
if it's a ZTE it doesn't have a username, it's just a password (which is written next to the sim card inside the unit).
You can change it, but a factory reset will reset it to the factory password on the sticker.

Check the back of your router near the sim slot it should have the actual brand and model number. They all have slightly different user interfaces, but ZTE's don't tend to have a username, just a password, printed right next to the wifi SSID and password.

My eyesight is that bad it's best to take a photo of the password with a phone to take a record of it, as reading it with my actual eyes is a bit small print.
Photo shows it as a Huawei E5785 and not a ZTE unit.

Madmag you need to type in 192.168.8.1 into a web browser on a pc / laptop / etc to access the router.

If you haven't change user name / password they are admin / admin.

Will fire up my Huawei unit in a minute and get back with further info.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I tried that. Must have changed password at some stage as wouldn’t let me log in. Will have another try. Thanks again to all. I am sorry I am being so thick and asking so many questions

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Following on from previous this is what you should see when you
  • log-in
  • clicking settings
  • selecting Dial-up
  • selecting Profile Management
As you can see we've got a 3 sim installed. Similar to the ones starquake uses.

1729783802671.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thats the final straw. Tried the 192.168.8.1 on 2 different phones and PC and it wont open " server not responding" Is it too early to turn to drink!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Check the screen on the unit as I think that Huawei model shows the ssid and password there.

As a final resort there should be a reset button inside the back cover on the opposite side of the battery shown in your photo.

Thats the final straw. Tried the 192.168.8.1 on 2 different phones and PC and it wont open " server not responding" Is it too early to turn to drink!!!
You need to be connected to the unit for the 192.168.8.1 to work. Not another wifi unit.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
User manual below.(y)
EDIT: might not be the exact model but should be very similar.

Last page gives a few cocktail recipes!:giggler:

Attachments

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Tesco are one of many MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) but they use the O2 network so that may be why the Huawei is defaulting to that.

Tesco Mobile Customer Care (0345 301 4455, or 4455 from your Tesco mobile) might be worth speaking to as your specific MiFi isn't listed on their site.

The first question I would ask is if they allow their SIMs to be used with MiFi Hotspots. It could just be as simple as that. Some SIM providers don't let you use them this way. It would be annoying, but it would save you wasting any more time on it!

If they say that it should work with hotspots then I would definitely factory reset the unit just to rule out any issues caused by all the things you've tried up to now!

At least you know where you're starting from.

You might also find this useful if you haven't seen it already.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm sure between us we'll get to the bottom of this!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Tesco are one of many MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) but they use the O2 network so that may be why the Huawei is defaulting to that.

Tesco Mobile Customer Care (0345 301 4455, or 4455 from your Tesco mobile) might be worth speaking to as your specific MiFi isn't listed on their site.

The first question I would ask is if they allow their SIMs to be used with MiFi Hotspots. It could just be as simple as that. Some SIM providers don't let you use them this way. It would be annoying, but it would save you wasting any more time on it!

If they say that it should work with hotspots then I would definitely factory reset the unit just to rule out any issues caused by all the things you've tried up to now!

At least you know where you're starting from.

You might also find this useful if you haven't seen it already.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm sure between us we'll get to the bottom of this!
That's interesting, I typed in my IMEI number and it said it's not supported but it's been working fine for the last three years including in France and Spain!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Well, what's even more confusing is that some of the providers say that you're not allowed to use the SIM in a hotspot, but they don't actually block it.

Technically you'd possibly be in breach of T&C, assuming they cared enough to follow up on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't physically work.

Other providers, however, actually stop the SIM working when it's in a hotspot. Pop it in a phone and it will work fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back