How old?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Since 2012
How many motorhomers are going to Europe in their 80's? I am 81 in about 2 weeks time and would like to know that others of my age are still enjoying Europe.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How many motorhomers are going to Europe in their 80's? I am 81 in about 2 weeks time and would like to know that others of my age are still enjoying Europe.
We are youngsters! However we’ve just got back from a 2 month tour of Bulgaria and Romania and there were two very fit active couples on that . One chap was 84 and the other 81. Both still driving. I don’t think their wives who also both drove were much younger. The 84 year old chap was a keen walker. The older couple were off again on Boxing Day for 3 weeks to Switzerland.

They’d toured Scotland and the Shetlands this spring.

Age is a number, it’s your health that counts nowadays. You will find that insurance, both van and health becomes expensive. If you have that then go for it.

There are many mature motorhomers on here!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
As Carolyn said, as long as we are fit enough and can afford the insurance we will keep going. If the time comes when driving is too much, we will likely fly. It's the insurance that's going to be expensive, especially if like Mrs. Odd you have medical conditions.

OP
OP
E
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Since 2012
We are youngsters! However we’ve just got back from a 2 month tour of Bulgaria and Romania and there were two very fit active couples on that . One chap was 84 and the other 81. Both still driving. I don’t think their wives who also both drove were much younger. The 84 year old chap was a keen walker. The older couple were off again on Boxing Day for 3 weeks to Switzerland.

They’d toured Scotland and the Shetlands this spring.

Age is a number, it’s your health that counts nowadays. You will find that insurance, both van and health becomes expensive. If you have that then go for it.

There are many mature motorhomers on here!
Many thanks for the reply, it has really made me much more positive about going to France next year.

OP
OP
E
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Since 2012
As Carolyn said, as long as we are fit enough and can afford the insurance we will keep going. If the time comes when driving is too much, we will likely fly. It's the insurance that's going to be expensive, especially if like Mrs. Odd you have medical conditions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am 82 and we are in our 11th week away Poland, Slovakia, Italy, Greece and currently in mid-Italy again on slow way back to Poland, depending on weather.

Today woke up gloriouss sunshine, sitting outside all day - not bad for last day of Summer time

I anticipate another few years of the same.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Love this post , just after I had the van I took it to a stop having filled it with water checked the gas put clean bedding on and filled the fridge I was well prepared
Unfortunately some numpty after doing all that left the drain valve on the water heater open and arrived at location with no water
But it's OK I have a hose pipe
No no it's not
You can only use a watering can
I've not got one of those (I do now)
A young couple came to my rescue
Both in their early 90's
They had down sized to a VW camper

It's the kindness of recycled teenagers that never fails to.amaze :giggle:

OP
OP
E
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Since 2012
I am 82 and we are in our 11th week away Poland, Slovakia, Italy, Greece and currently in mid-Italy again on slow way back to Poland, depending on weather.

Today woke up gloriouss sunshine, sitting outside all day - not bad for last day of Summer time

I anticipate another few years of the same.
That's great. It has really made my mind up. I hope my 10 year old dog is up for our trip to France in the new year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you're able, just do it and enjoy it.
I hope I'm able to in my 80's
Health insurance may be a stumbling block unless you have a carefree view on life and accept whatever life deals you and 'self insure' if commercial rates are beyond your means.
It'd be interesting to know what others in that situation do ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are still youngsters at 76 and 77 but intend to keep travelling in Europe for as long as we possibly can

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back