How much will a motorhome depreciate? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I realise this is far from an exact science and is subject to supply & demand. But having agreed to buy our motorhome last weekend, hubby is now wondering how much it will depreciate in say, 5 years.
Is there a % guide? Roughly? Or any personal experience you can draw on?
(The MH we’re buying is a 3 yr old 4 belt 4 berth Rollerteam)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
People won't buy diesel at £2 litre or more ? I remember people saying that at £1 litre.

Going abroad for a holiday is not as cheap as it was, okay if you live near the London airports its cheap but for provincial airports its a lot dearer to fly.

B & B ? has anyone used one lately ? aren't their prices increasing ? look at the price of going for a coffee and cake nowadays !
I agree, have you seen how much it is hire a cottage or river cruiser during the summer? A modern 6 berth boat on the Norfolk Broads in July is pushing 3k A WEEK!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I trust everyone is declaring their capital gain to the tax man! 😇😁
When a taxpayer sells an asset (other than personal belongings and items of stock used in the business) for a profit, the need to pay capital gains tax arises.

As a motorhome and car are personal belongings then perhaps there is no CGT.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
When a taxpayer sells an asset (other than personal belongings and items of stock used in the business) for a profit, the need to pay capital gains tax arises.

As a motorhome and car are personal belongings then perhaps there is no CGT.

😁 I am aware of that as you can see in post #40. T’was me hijacking the thread to ‘try’ to be amusing! #musttryharder 🤦‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've had my 2016 Carthago for just over two years, having paid 62K. Just out of curiosity I rang one of those "we want motorhomes" advertisers a month or so back and, whilst there was no definitive offer, he indicated that a figure "starting with a five" was the likely outcome. Clearly I would not have got my money back, particularly having spent a fair bit on solar & lithium. Perhaps these magazine advertisers are not really representative of what is a likely price.
If you traded it for a new van you would more than what you paid for it at the moment.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Yeah but... with the extra kit on it, it would push the price to close on double what I paid for the current one. I'm unlikely to live long enough to get the benefit of the extra 60K I'd have to find. It's the green banana thing.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Betsy Lamb

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
when the value of a motorhome goes up the insurance value doesn’t track upwards with it. Insurers won’t pay more than you originally paid in the case of a write off.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
If you have just Got a one year old one, as somebody else has commented, the cost of fuel for it should not be a great concern unless you intend doing huge mileages.
I only do 8-10k a year on average, but it is a concern even at those mileages. I wish I were in the financial position that it appears many are on here saying that it will not deter them.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
in 2018 we paid £59,995 brand new this year they are around £76,000 ,next year the current rumour is a new one is £83,000.
Why? There is no reason for price increases like that. regardless of shortage of supply,components ,covid,etc;
HVO (Biodiesel)
We used that from forecourt pumps some years back.utter shite. blocks the filters & supposedly ok for common rails but was n't.
but diesel is dead.
central heating oil does the same job & isn't "red"

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In business vehicles depreciate.If you can actually sell for above the depreciated asset it is a win-win:hi5:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
forestfern

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Yeah but... with the extra kit on it, it would push the price to close on double what I paid for the current one. I'm unlikely to live long enough to get the benefit of the extra 60K I'd have to find. It's the green banana thing.
I have spent 24 hours wondering what the green banana thing is, please can someone put me out of my misery now 😂

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Why? There is no reason for price increases like that. regardless of shortage of supply,components ,covid,etc;

We used that from forecourt pumps some years back.utter shite. blocks the filters & supposedly ok for common rails but was n't.

central heating oil does the same job & isn't "red"
All EU diesel currently uses BD, that's what the numbers on the pumps are about.

Heating oil has chemical markers in it...I know I've been visited by HMRC in a 10pm "raid" 12 years back when I was producing my own BD. The tip they had was that I was using heating oil. 28 sec does not lubricate enough either, but 35 sec is "diesel".

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
I realise this is far from an exact science and is subject to supply & demand. But having agreed to buy our motorhome last weekend, hubby is now wondering how much it will depreciate in say, 5 years.
We nearly bought a lovely 2008 Elddis Sunseeker 115 from a dealer in May last year but didn’t because we thought it wouldn’t fit in our drive. We really liked it and realised later that it WOULD fit in the drive without hitting the gutter of our bungalow if we didn’t reverse in! But it was too late.

in September this year we found the same van for sale with the same dealer for the same price (a bit suspicious but apparently it had been bought last summer so the buyer could live in it while looking for a property to buy on the understanding the dealer would buy it back from him) Sounds feasible.

Last year they offered us £10,000 for our 2005 Romahome Hylo Duo (35,000 miles) in part exchange, this year they only offered £9,000. We paid £18,000 for it 9 years ago and were told they hold their price and they are hard to find but we accepted their offer out of laziness!

We are happy about it because the van we bought is just what we wanted.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back