How much space does toilet paper really take up? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It dissolves pretty quickly.
It doesn't. Takes ages. I passed dozens of toilet rolls that had fallen off a lorry on the m3. Pouring with rain and still there days later.
I would never bag used loo paper!!!
We bag it the same as we do indoors and thrown away daily.
bins not emptied for a week
Bins should be emptied daily. If not that's councils fault and nor my problem as it isn't dumped where I live.
We have a new separate toilet now so the number 2's can be binned as well so theoretically the paper can go in that toilet compartment now.:hi5:
No different to turd collecting and binning with dogs(y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Probably because they are using the wrong type of paper. Supermarkets own brand is the best, it dissolves in a day.

But, there must be lots using that paper. I've seen a lot of it hanging around šŸ¤­ and not in the right place either šŸ¤¬. At one of our favourite parkups in our region of Murcia. It's only a matter of time before we get no motorhome signs, or height barriers.

DSCN1508.JPG

Proof it doesn't dissolve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I would never bag used loo paper!!!
(Reminds me of 3rd world sewage systems in the 1970's)

That is why we we have a cassette and we put tabs, elsan or whatever in it to breakdown all solids

Perhaps you have never been to Greece, Turkey and several other countries where the sewage pies are too narrow to take the paper.

There are bins by the toilet, usually pedal bins, but sometimes open baskets with plastic bag linings.

There are many notices in the toilets forbidding paper disposal in the toilet bowl and with diagrams indicating the disposal in the bins.

If you will never bag the paper, then never go to these countries.

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Perhaps you have never been to Greece, Turkey and several other countries where the sewage pies are too narrow to take the paper.

There are bins by the toilet, usually pedal bins, but sometimes open baskets with plastic bag linings.

There are many notices in the toilets forbidding paper disposal in the toilet bowl and with diagrams indicating the disposal in the bins.

Been there seen it but never done it .still flush away

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I've spent years of my life in Greece and been to Turkey.
I understand the issue, although I don't understand why it's not been fixed.

The Greek Government(s) have had over half a century to upgrade their sewage systems, so there is no excuse.
Even if they had only upgraded 2% of the system a year, it would have been done nation wide by now.
(And they could have made a profit from it)

I was referring to keeping used loo paper in a bag in a motorhome.
That is why we have modern flushing toilets with cassettes, so we don't have to do these 3rd world practices.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

The Greek Government(s) have had over half a century to upgrade their sewage systems, so there is no excuse.
Even if they had only upgraded 2% of the system a year, it would have been done nation wide by now.

That is why we have modern flushing toilets with cassettes, so we don't have to do these 3rd world practices.

You did not tell us what you do with the paper when using the toilet in a Greek establishment.

As for the Greek Government upgrading the system, I think the street sewers have been upgraded but the problem still exists within private buildings. Changing those pipes requires serious disruption and expense which owners seem reluctant to undertake.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
So, on some toilet threads people say they bag the toilet paper.
We always just let it go down the hole into the cassette.
How much space does it really use?
It dissolves pretty quickly.
Has never been an issue for us and we only empty every 3 or 4 days when we are moving on. (not always near full)

Just wondering is all. :unsure:
It is about 65 years since I achieved 'O' level in physics, so a bit rusty now. But the answer to the OP's question is covered by Archimedes principle.
"When a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid, the upthrust is equal to the weight of fluid displaced". :giggle:

Geoff

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Your "OK less the air pockets) is the key. A loo roll is about 90% air although this does vary a lot. There is a thing called "absorption rate" which is how much water each gram of loo paper can absorb. This can vary from as low as 5g of water to 1g of paper to a high approaching 20g.

The deduction from this is the volume taken up by the paper in water is only a fraction of the volume of the dry roll.

But this question does really need some experimental evidence for a definitive answer to be found. :)
You mean like taking a 16 pack into a shower (next time you use one) and see how far it can be squashed down after it's wet through?

We await your next post and there HAS to be, before, during and after pictures, of course! šŸ¤£

Edit: Hang on, I've just seen Mike001 is going to do some smaller scale research! šŸ¤”

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Been there seen it but never done it .still flush away
How very selfish. If youā€™re not willing to follow the rules of other countries you shouldnā€™t visit them. Unblocking drains is costly as well as being unpleasant.

We were asked to bin our paper when travelling through Greece and Turkey in the van so did it.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I admit to being a bag and chuck it person. Iā€™ve read all the technical stuff above and donā€™t disagree but I find emptying the cassette easier if no paper is involved. Also less water needed to rinse. I use the dogs poo bags and they are tied off and disposed of at the first opportunity. Simples!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
What about that loo roll from years ago, the glossy slippery, hard stuff you used to get in public looā€™s, Think it was called John Wayne loo roll because it was rough tough and takes no shit. šŸ˜‚

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
So, why, is there always a lot of white paper clogging up the grids on grey water emptying points, when the non cassette owners drop their cr@p there?
Because the dirty inconsiderate barstewards didn't clean the grid, ready for the next user. :mad: ................. ;)

Not the answer you were looking for I know Judith, but a highly probable one nonetheless. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have a loo roll lined up for a water test, I canā€™t do it today and if Mike001 reports sooner I will save myself the bother. I am not expecting a significant increase in the volume of the water. Perhaps I will have enough pulp afterwards to make a very small papier-mĆ¢chĆ© model of a toilet cassette.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But, there must be lots using that paper. I've seen a lot of it hanging around šŸ¤­ and not in the right place either šŸ¤¬. At one of our favourite parkups in our region of Murcia. It's only a matter of time before we get no motorhome signs, or height barriers.

View attachment 919757

Proof it doesn't dissolve.
Surely that didn't come from a cassette :unsure: the trouble is though you can use any quality paper in a cassette including wet wipes and some break down quicker than others, if you use anything more than 2 ply in a macerator you stand a fair chance of clogging it :(

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Surely that didn't come from a cassette :unsure: the trouble is though you can use any quality paper in a cassette including wet wipes and some break down quicker than others, if you use anything more than 2 ply in a macerator you stand a fair chance of clogging it :(
I was under the impression, one is never supposed to put Wet Wipes down the toilet.

Which, I think, did a test a few years ago and found even the so-called wet toilet tissues, (including the bio degradable ones)
caused problems? šŸ¤”

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

The British Water companies have also wasted half a century not upgrading sewers and sewerage plant capacity to avoid outflows into the sea!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The British Water companies have also wasted half a century not upgrading sewers and sewerage plant capacity to avoid outflows into the sea!
The UK sold off it's water industry to asset stripping companies such as Macquarie, who simply took as much money out of the system as they could and then sold it on.
The likes of Macquarie had zero interest in improving the network for the long term.

Greece, like most (all??) EU other countries the water industry is run by the Government which should have a long term interest.

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995

Yeah I couldn't believe it at first when I saw the instructions, I thought surely they don't want you to put toilet paper with feces on it into a dry bin, but had to accept it after I'd done a bit of online research about it, the technique I found was to fold it over to cover the cr@p made it slightly less disgusting.
This wasn't in Greece or Turkey as I've never been don't recollect which sites it was but I think one was even as close as Rotterdam, definitely some in southern Europe.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You did not tell us what you do with the paper when using the toilet in a Greek establishment.

As for the Greek Government upgrading the system, I think the street sewers have been upgraded but the problem still exists within private buildings. Changing those pipes requires serious disruption and expense which owners seem reluctant to undertake.

The UK sold off it's water industry to asset stripping companies such as Macquarie, who simply took as much money out of the system as they could and then sold it on.
The likes of Macquarie had zero interest in improving the network for the long term.

Greece, like most (all??) EU other countries the water industry is run by the Government which should have a long term interest.

Are you suggesting that Greece, or any other government, should compulsorily enter private property and knock the hell out of them to replace some drain pipes?

Maybe at the same time they should remedy other parts of the construction which do not adhere to current building regulations - that could result in some cases in the whole building being demolished.

I think that such policies are impractical at this late stage: it is what it is.

You have not answered my previous question about whether you comply with Greek requirements not to flush paper down the toilet.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Yes it came from a cassette, the photo didn't show the blue colour. It was tipped high up in bushes in "waste ground", except that it's not really waste ground and, to make things worse, it was near the unofficial parking for the reservoir.

There's no way it would affect the reservoir, but it gives ammo to the medio ambiente (countryside wardens) to stop motorhomes from parking.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
I admit to being a bag and chuck it person. Iā€™ve read all the technical stuff above and donā€™t disagree but I find emptying the cassette easier if no paper is involved. Also less water needed to rinse. I use the dogs poo bags and they are tied off and disposed of at the first opportunity. Simples!
This thread got me wondering.
Lots of comments on here about undissolved loo roll in cassette!
I have never had that issue, all the years I have used Finnigans Top n Tail and now Solbio when I empty cassette it is very liquid with no signs of loo roll..(cheap Tesco stuff)
So my question is, what do those who do have this issue actually use in the loo, if anything,
We hear how some swear by miracle lotions and potion solutions I.e. dish washer/laundry tabs etc.
Yes they may break down the smell, but are they actually breaking down the contents..
Also as stated before I never rinse out my cassette, except on last empty before returning home. Empty and allow remaining bacteria to start a new colony..
Also to add.. what happens to sog users who don't actually put anything (or at least that is my understanding how they work) in loo, get on!!

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was under the impression, one is never supposed to put Wet Wipes down the toilet.

Which, I think, did a test a few years ago and found even the so-called wet toilet tissues, (including the bio degradable ones)
caused problems? šŸ¤”
Correct but that doesn't stop people doing it down toilets and into cassette's ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back