How much space does toilet paper really take up? (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
So, on some toilet threads people say they bag the toilet paper.
We always just let it go down the hole into the cassette.
How much space does it really use?
It dissolves pretty quickly.
Has never been an issue for us and we only empty every 3 or 4 days when we are moving on. (not always near full)

Just wondering is all. :unsure:

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
2 ply or 3ply
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you use your hand, then wash it, the water goes in the grey tank which is much bigger, so lasts longer - apparently.

G-RMPS As you know I trained at your home airfield Scone/'Balbeggie International'.

The Engineering students, mostly Middle Easter, shared a toilet block near the canteen. If we had to use it, rarely, it was always awash, because of the habit you describe.

Not a nice memory.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A full roll takes up the space of a full roll , less the cardboard tube volume.
If you buy the cheapo rolls with the biggest tubes you won't fill the cassette up too much with the paper, dissolved or not it still takes up the same volume as the roll.( OK less the air pockets)
(y) :rofl: :rofl:

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you buy the cheapo rolls with the biggest tubes you won't fill the cassette up too much with the paper, dissolved or not it still takes up the same volume as the roll.( OK less the air pockets)

I am surprised it has taken to post #13 to get to the obvious right answer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your "OK less the air pockets) is the key. A loo roll is about 90% air although this does vary a lot. There is a thing called "absorption rate" which is how much water each gram of loo paper can absorb. This can vary from as low as 5g of water to 1g of paper to a high approaching 20g.

The deduction from this is the volume taken up by the paper in water is only a fraction of the volume of the dry roll.

But this question does really need some experimental evidence for a definitive answer to be found. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am surprised it has taken to post #13 to get to the obvious right answer.
I don't think so Geoff. ;)

The deduction from this is the volume taken up by the paper in water is only a fraction of the volume of the dry roll.
That's more like the obvious right answer for me. (y)
As another example, washing powder tablets take up a fraction of the space when dissolved, than when solid. It's a no brainer. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Your "OK less the air pockets) is the key. A loo roll is about 90% air although this does vary a lot. There is a thing called "absorption rate" which is how much water each gram of loo paper can absorb. This can vary from as low as 5g of water to 1g of paper to a high approaching 20g.

But this question does really need some experimental evidence for a definitive answer to be found. :)

The volume of the liquid was already in the cassette before the paper was deposited, so has not increased. Whether the liquid is absorbed or in free float does not change the volume of liquid present. The only substance which has increased the volume of the cassette contents is the paper.

I don't think so Geoff. ;)

That's more like the obvious right answer for me. (y)
As another example, washing powder tablets take up a fraction of the space when dissolved, than when solid. It's a no brainer. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

See my response to DBK above.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The volume of the liquid was already in the cassette before the paper was deposited, so has not increased. Whether the liquid is absorbed or in free float does not change the volume of liquid present. The only substance which has increased the volume of the cassette contents is the paper.

See my response to DBK above.
Sorry Geoff, I'm just not convinced, ie, if I get an open plastic box the same size as a cassette and fill it with dry toilet rolls to the top, (minus the cardboard inserts), there wouldn't be room for anything else. If I then add some water with a chemical or detergent type additive, eventually the toilet rolls would break down, creating a liquid volume far less that that of the initial volume.

I refer back to my previous example of a washing powder tablet too.

Cheers,

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
So, on some toilet threads people say they bag the toilet paper.
We always just let it go down the hole into the cassette.
How much space does it really use?
It dissolves pretty quickly.
Has never been an issue for us and we only empty every 3 or 4 days when we are moving on. (not always near full)

Just wondering is all. :unsure:
Very little.

Can be verified experimentally. Fill a glass container/measuring jug up to a certain level with water. Now add a sheet of dissolving loo roll. Check increase in volume.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Geoff, I'm just not convinced, ie, if I get an open plastic box the same size as a cassette and fill it with dry toilet rolls to the top, (minus the cardboard inserts), there wouldn't be room for anything else. If I then add some water with a chemical or detergent type additive, eventually the toilet rolls would break down, creating a liquid volume far less that that of the initial volume.

I refer back to my previous example of a washing powder tablet too.

Cheers,

Because the initial volume contained air trapped between the sheets of paper which has now dissipated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back