LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We plan when we start and when we finish and a ferry crossing in between. 😁
We visited a medieval village yesterday then found a aire with services.
20240914_195329.jpg
But decided to empty and fill at 22.45 and move to this place when the fiesta started. 😁
20240915_110539.jpg
Bloody Spanish. :rofl:

So much for planning. :doh: Bob

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Lucky chap! Any girl who's happy to travel by motorbike and sleep in a tent has to be a Keeper!
She got more expensive to keep though 😂🥳🥳

I still rate that trip as the best holiday ever. Th e boss has it up there too. Met some lovely people just wandering. The bike (ZZR1400) was very heavily loaded mind. But handled fantastically.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know, I’m sick!

Called Planalotisis I think! 🤪
That sounds too much like halitosis Harvey so I think Planalotitis sounds better although it does sound infectious.

I find the planning of a trip is part of the fun, I don’t mind deviating from the plan though as long as the plan is there . It’s like a security blanket. Can you imagine if there were no planners, nothing would get done. No moon landing, no motorhomes even.

I don’t want to find I’ve drifted along and missed seeing something amazing by a few miles as I’d not bothered to do a bit of research.

We’re all different of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2022
UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam
Exp
Since 2022
I try and plan on average about a month ahead, that way I can just concentrate on what I’m doing at the moment, knowing that I’m prepared gives me a certain satisfaction, I also know where my money is going, ( pensioner and full timer) .
We will be heading south through France maybe Germany and Italy in October - swmbo keeps talking about a route - but we’ve done that in the past . I have a rough route and want to find stop overs , campsites as we drift .

What level of planning do you do ?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I admire those who don't plan. I'm a planner, management not😭😭😭. I can't drive off not knowing what we are aiming to do and worry that driving around in a 7.8m MHome without thinking of where we might stop etc might lead to PROBLEMS, especially in the UK. There are so many places you can't stop that unfortunately I have to have some outline plan in mind. Ah well, that's life. Now what was I planning to do? 🤔🤔🤔
I think touring in the UK does require a bit more planning, even if it's only a few days ahead. Far less opportunity in this country to go down the 'Micawber' route ( something will turn up).

Jun 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
We will be heading south through France maybe Germany and Italy in October - swmbo keeps talking about a route - but we’ve done that in the past . I have a rough route and want to find stop overs , campsites as we drift .

What level of planning do you do ?
C

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
A few years ago now, I wrote an iOS app called Mundus to help me with this. It lets you add places just by searching - if Apple Maps knows about it, you usually end up with a map pin with the contact details all filled in. You can then add notes about the place. You can also add places by gps location (great for PFN spots) and just by long pressing the map.

The best part IMO is the (customisable) filter button top right. Your can just narrow down on aires, all campsites, takeaway food, museums - whatever you want to find right now. And you can make custom filters - I have one for dog-friendly pubs, and one that shows towns and campsites so I can look for a night near shops and restaurants.

Then our planning is just a rough idea of where we’ll go and a map full of pins of our favourite places.

That said, on our last trip we set off for Romania and Bulgaria, and ended up in Estonia and Sweden…

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Are we to believe that some folk just wander about aimlessly hoping to stumble across some interesting locations?
We went to Nordkapp for my dad's 70th on our bikes.

The only planned parts of the trip where where to meet up, the ferry and getting to Nordkapp. Three week trip with the midnight sun. The days were as long as you wanted to make them.

Saw some amazing places and met some great people. Sometimes we stopped just because it was time to stop and in the morning we moved on. Other times (memorably a rented cabin by a lake) we stayed a few days just because the place was so nice.

We saw signs for Kiruna. Dad recognised the name as being a big mining place so off we went to see the mines. Stunning. We would never have planned to go and see them, but the scale of it all was quite a surprise to me and we had a great day there.

An amazing trip full of happy memories.

However, I read a review from another biker a few weeks after we'd got back who was travelling around the same time as us. He'd planned it all, looked everything up, booked where to stay etc. He had a really bad experience and said that long sections of the road were just long and boring and the landscape didn't change and what a disappointment that was as all the YouTube videos just showed the highlights and when he got to any of those 'highlight' places there wasn't anything new, just what he'd already seen on YouTube.

So, yes. For me wandering aimlessly about is a great way to stumble across interesting locations and for some it seems that looking everything up on Google Earth takes something away from what you see.

There's no right or wrong way. Travel in whatever way that puts a smile on your face. Thank goodness we're not all the same (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Don't forget, you non-planners, that some insurances, especially breakdown cover, require you to have a return ferry or tunnel crossing pre-booked.

I am aware of this but I do wonder if a breakdown company would ever ask so see proof of your return crossing when make the claim. I wonder if any folks have experience of this happening? I can see it being more of an issue on travel insurance as they have restrictions on the number of days you are insured for.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We went to Nordkapp for my dad's 70th on our bikes.

The only planned parts of the trip where where to meet up, the ferry and getting to Nordkapp. Three week trip with the midnight sun. The days were as long as you wanted to make them.

Saw some amazing places and met some great people. Sometimes we stopped just because it was time to stop and in the morning we moved on. Other times (memorably a rented cabin by a lake) we stayed a few days just because the place was so nice.

We saw signs for Kiruna. Dad recognised the name as being a big mining place so off we went to see the mines. Stunning. We would never have planned to go and see them, but the scale of it all was quite a surprise to me and we had a great day there.

An amazing trip full of happy memories.

However, I read a review from another biker a few weeks after we'd got back who was travelling around the same time as us. He'd planned it all, looked everything up, booked where to stay etc. He had a really bad experience and said that long sections of the road were just long and boring and the landscape didn't change and what a disappointment that was as all the YouTube videos just showed the highlights and when he got to any of those 'highlight' places there wasn't anything new, just what he'd already seen on YouTube.

So, yes. For me wandering aimlessly about is a great way to stumble across interesting locations and for some it seems that looking everything up on Google Earth takes something away from what you see.

There's no right or wrong way. Travel in whatever way that puts a smile on your face. Thank goodness we're not all the same (y)
Motorcycle touring is completely different from motorhome touring though.

I've done both.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I could never ever do that, my brain simply wouldn’t let me, for me that would be impossible!!
After 20 yrs holidaying/touring on the Harley and HAVING to plan a place to put my head every night, it’s maybe something I can never change🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m just not cut out for motorhoming🤷‍♂️
I toured France & Spain by motorcycle late 60s & early 70s. Planned nothing other than a rough route. Never failed to find somewhere to sleep.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I am aware of this but I do wonder if a breakdown company would ever ask so see proof of your return crossing when make the claim. I wonder if any folks have experience of this happening? I can see it being more of an issue on travel insurance as they have restrictions on the number of days you are insured for.
I do.

Had a bad accident in Portugal in early 2020 just before covid and needed to get home. It was a major bone of contention with the travel insurer that I didn't have a return ticket.

My AA cover too says that I am insured for trips that begin and end in the UK. Given my experience I am not going to tempt fate by not being able to prove that my return to the UK is planned in black and white.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I do.

Had a bad accident in Portugal in early 2020 just before covid and needed to get home. It was a major bone of contention with the travel insurer that I didn't have a return ticket.

My AA cover too says that I am insured for trips that begin and end in the UK. Given my experience I am not going to tempt fate by not being able to prove that my return to the UK is planned in black and white.

I can understand travel insurers investigating claims to that extent but not so sure breakdown would. I called out breakdown in Germany. There were no questions asked but it was a simple fix. If it was a major breakdown involving hotel costs, hire car repatriation of your motorhome etc then I guess they might investigate ways of getting out of it more thoroughly.

Why it matters whether you have a return journey booked or not I don't understand. There are no trip length restrictions on most breakdown policies - not that that should affect it anyway.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I can understand travel insurers investigating claims to that extent but not so sure breakdown would. I called out breakdown in Germany. There were no questions asked but it was a simple fix. If it was a major breakdown involving hotel costs, hire car repatriation of your motorhome etc then I guess they might investigate ways of getting out of it more thoroughly.

Why it matters whether you have a return journey booked or not I don't understand. There are no trip length restrictions on most breakdown policies - not that that should affect it anyway.
It matters as if you don't have a return booked then they don't have to repatriate you as they cannot define if it's quicker to wait for a fix where you are or get it home, same as you say with health insurance some insist on having a return ticket others don't.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
It matters as if you don't have a return booked then they don't have to repatriate you as they cannot define if it's quicker to wait for a fix where you are or get it home,
They should treat you the same as a car breakdown. Provide a replacement hire vehicle so you can continue your holiday.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
They should treat you the same as a car breakdown. Provide a replacement hire vehicle so you can continue your holiday.
I guess whatever is in the policy but if you don't have a fixed return how long should the car hire last?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I guess whatever is in the policy but if you don't have a fixed return how long should the car hire last?

As long as it takes to fix your vehicle. It would be an incentive for the breakdown company to hurry up the garage to do the repair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back