LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lots , we don’t do Aires and like certainty . I would never turn up at a campsite with the remotest chance of not been able to get in . Currently on a four week tour of France and Spain and every night was booked in advance . Having a ball .
I don't get that we have been going to or through France for 45 years and when tugging it in was the school holidays never booked anything.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Yes , but they wouldn't be able to tell you all the places they missed en- route....🤔😀🇪🇺
That’s true to an extent. But then the lovely people in this forum will say what they have seen in the area you have been. If of future interest you could then include it in a future not so totally aimless wander.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That’s true to an extent. But then the lovely people in this forum will say what they have seen in the area you have been. If of future interest you could then include it in a future not so totally aimless wander.
But if they Googled an area they intend passing through, they (whoever they are) wouldn't have missed it...just a tick....That's planning....😂😂🇪🇺

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm, sort of, planning our next trip. So far we don't know what day it will start, (we're awaiting a new battery delivery). I've got a rough idea of which direction we'll go and I've already got a few places in the early part that I'd like to visit. Then, it'll be down to the weather forecast as to which way we travel and the availability of good overnight stops.

We've just done three months in the north of Spain using this method. It works for us.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
But if they Googled an area they intend passing through, they (whoever they are) wouldn't have missed it...just a tick....That's planning....😂😂🇪🇺
Well technically planning but a massive difference between having a detailed itinerary etc before you go and just wandering in general but having a look on google for what is around where you have ended up.

It works for us. Been doing this since 2008 when took a motorbike and tent and went to France with the girlfriend ( now the boss). We came across some fantastic villages off the beaten track that we would have missed otherwise. So have toured that way since.

Have still done the package holidays, cruises etc too mind.

But at the end of the day we are all different and do what is right for us.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
We are about to embark on our Spanish Raid, from Las Palmas to Spain (yes, Canaries is Spain, but not really - we are in Africa) and have booked the ferry (obviously) and nothing else. I do have the site for the first night planned, but not booked because they do not allow booking. So we'll see how that works out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Works for us 🥳🥳
On a motorbike I'd agree, I've done the same myself, where the riding is the holiday, not the stopping.

Having said that my first jaunt to France on a bike (45 years ago?) was with someone who 'knew' France, we had a blast, but when at home tracing our routes on a map (no satnav) I was a bit miffed to see we had passed within miles of Ouradour Sur Glane without knowing about it..

Never again.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Mostly plan outward and wing it coming back. Fairly flexible though. Six week France & Andalucia trip was 13 pre-identified stops and 10 ad-hoc ones. Usually try and do something sort of circular to avoid the same road twice.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I admire those who don't plan. I'm a planner, management not😭😭😭. I can't drive off not knowing what we are aiming to do and worry that driving around in a 7.8m MHome without thinking of where we might stop etc might lead to PROBLEMS, especially in the UK. There are so many places you can't stop that unfortunately I have to have some outline plan in mind. Ah well, that's life. Now what was I planning to do? 🤔🤔🤔

Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Me a total planner
1726387975093.png

Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
In March this year we planned our trip to France and Spain. France part of plan was fraught with difficulties as most sites were closed until April!! Got into Northern Spain and checked the weather for our route down to Seville, Cadiz, Rhonda, etc and forecast was dire!! We scrapped our plan and headed towards Zaragoza and Castellon region…blue skies and warm weather. Great trip!

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
We have a look at weather forecasts for the time we're going to be away to get an idea of where might be good to avoid. Then we have a general area in mind, normally with a few spots we want to visit, and a planned route to get there but not normally how far each day and where to stop on the way. Then we meander.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
We book a Ferry , we know which countries we will visit, never book sites that's why we motorhome to wander where we please.

Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
We will be heading south through France maybe Germany and Italy in October - swmbo keeps talking about a route - but we’ve done that in the past . I have a rough route and want to find stop overs , campsites as we drift .

What level of planning do you do ?
A bit like you do. The Mrs plans (loosely) for most of the route so we have direction and after that ‘the devil takes the hindmost’!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
How do you know if you're following the crowds or not if you don't know where you're going? 🤔
Because when we get there it's invariably quiet.
Last time we 'followed the crowds' was at Portofino. God, it was awful. We hated it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back