How many Power station Wh = 2 hours on a generator?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'm hoping that anyone can give me a clue here ...

When away at bike race meetings etc. I normally have to top up the batteries from the 2nd night onwards with about 2 hours of generator per night. I'm thinking of replacing the generator with a Power station but haven't a clue as to what size I would need to cover x3 nights of 2 hours. I'm guessing that the EHU set up only takes power at the rate that the batteries (2x 110) take charge, but that's about as far as I've got ...

I've been looking at the Anker 256 Wh or 512 Wh battery packs 🤷😳

Thanks!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I'm no expert but
You shouldn't be running the batteries below 50% so charge from 50% for both is 110ah. Multiply by 14V = 1540wh. So you would need a bigger power station. And that would be one day, you would need to recharge the power station or have one twice as big for the next day......
Edit- it takes you 2 days to drain batteries so I guess you could halve these numbers, but same result- bigger power station!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
My advice, from experience, is that if you have the space and don’t need to use the genny anywhere else, then add a bigger battery / lithium. A decent sized power station (2000 wh) is >£1.2k. Just my experience. My 767 is about 160 ah.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm hoping that anyone can give me a clue here ...

When away at bike race meetings etc. I normally have to top up the batteries from the 2nd night onwards with about 2 hours of generator per night. I'm thinking of replacing the generator with a Power station but haven't a clue as to what size I would need to cover x3 nights of 2 hours. I'm guessing that the EHU set up only takes power at the rate that the batteries (2x 110) take charge, but that's about as far as I've got ...

I've been looking at the Anker 256 Wh or 512 Wh battery packs 🤷😳

Thanks!
I think it's easier to look at the discharge rates for the existing batteries than look at the charge going in. For example if they are going from 80% to 60% you are using 20%of 220ah so 44ah. Your power bank would need 3 times that at least. The good thing with a power bank is you can recharge them relatively quickly assuming some mains power is available or you could have separate solar. If everyone else is also using a generator it could be you're better to carry on with that as you wouldn't annoy anyone

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
My advice, from experience, is that if you have the space and don’t need to use the genny anywhere else, then add a bigger battery / lithium. A decent sized power station (2000 wh) is >£1.2k. Just my experience. My 767 is about 160 ah.

Thanks, I only have a small van with no more room in the battery location. Changing the whole system to Lithium is probably never likely to happen so I'm looking at something than can live most of the time in the 'garage'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think it's easier to look at the discharge rates for the existing batteries than look at the charge going in. For example if they are going from 80% to 60% you are using 20%of 220ah so 44ah. Your power bank would need 3 times that at least. The good thing with a power bank is you can recharge them relatively quickly assuming some mains power is available or you could have separate solar. If everyone else is also using a generator it could be you're better to carry on with that as you wouldn't annoy anyone
Thanks for taking time to post that, it’s made me think. Part of my problem is the Van control panel for the batteries, it only has x4 lights for 13.5v (charging) 12.7v (full?) 12.2v (needy) or 11.0v (in trouble) so as soon as it drops below 12.7v it shows 12.2v even though it could be 12.6v really.

I just checked my batteries and they are 2x95Ah AGM – 190Ah

So if I assume that my batteries are going from 100% to 75% most days off EHU that’s about 50Ah used. These Power stations seem to be sold in Wh and if Amps x Volts = Watts the 50Ah x 12v = 600Wh. If those figures a anywhere near then I might be able to get by on the 512Wh model if I keep my beer fridge turned to low, and to off if necessary.

I’m planning a trip to Le Mans next year and I’m a bit wary of taking the generator and spare petrol to the EU, through the tunnel etc. I do have a bit of Solar so maybe being in France will help too! Do these figures 'add up'?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m surprised you only get two days from two batteries. We have two batteries, there are two of us, 7.5m van, plenty of lights in it. No solar, no B2B, and easily get four days.

Possibly asked above, but how old are your batteries? Ours are 4-5 years old.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
So if I assume that my batteries are going from 100% to 75% most days off EHU that’s about 50Ah used. These Power stations seem to be sold in Wh and if Amps x Volts = Watts the 50Ah x 12v = 600Wh. If those figures a anywhere near then I might be able to get by on the 512Wh model if I keep my beer fridge turned to low, and to off if necessary.

I’m planning a trip to Le Mans next year and I’m a bit wary of taking the generator and spare petrol to the EU, through the tunnel etc. I do have a bit of Solar so maybe being in France will help too! Do these figures 'add up'?
More or less, yes. You need to account for lead-acid charging being no more than about 80% efficient, so if you use 50Ah you'd need to put in at least 60Ah to get another 50Ah out. Lithiums are much better, over 95% efficient generally.

Another possibility is, usually a 1000W generator is only running for charging the battery, so if it's a 30A charger that's 30 x 12 = 360W. There's plenty of power available to charge say a Power Station at the same time. So if you're meeting friends there you could get by with one generator charging one set of batteries and a power bank. Or even two or three power banks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I’m surprised you only get two days from two batteries. We have two batteries, there are two of us, 7.5m van, plenty of lights in it. No solar, no B2B, and easily get four days.

I have an electric only fridge that gobbbles up the power, and as explained above I tend to start panicing when the 12.7v light goes out 🙄🤷‍♂️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018

But what size batteries?
And what type?
That might help in the discussion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I’m planning a trip to Le Mans next year and I’m a bit wary of taking the generator and spare petrol to the EU, through the tunnel etc.
I don't particularly like generators but I don't see a problem with that. Lots of people, including myself, carry a small scooter/moped/motorbike, with a small can of petrol in case it runs out.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
If you’re going to Le Mans for the racing, I don’t think anyone will hear your generator above the noise of the racing, fun fairs and other people’s generators!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would stick with generator, you can always get petrol but if your power stations run out it would be harder to refuel then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back