How long will they be using the 9-speed autos on Fiats (2 Viewers)

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Peter Vaughan has said that they are phasing these out for motorhome manufacturers, at least as I understand it. I think there has been discussion on here about a newer (?inferior) 8 speed auto on the way. We may not be ready to buy until next year when we may buy new. Do people think they will still be selling the 9-speed auto on new vans then? I thought some of you good (and well informed) people might know.
Thanks

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The Series 10 Fiat is expected on motorhomes from 2025. It's basically just another facelift with more electronics although there will be a new motorhome specific wide track chassis, Fiats first since 2007.

The BIG news is that the Stellantis Peugeot Boxer offered with the same engines will also be available with the same 8 speed Auto & wide track chassis cab.

The 140 MJIII with an MT box will still have 350Nm, mated to the new 8 speed AT will stay at 380Nm.

The 180MJIII with an MT box will still deliver 380Nm. On the 8 Speed AT, the same 450Nm.

If you want to upgrade from 140 to 180 and add the auto box the cost is expected to be circa £6900.

Expect to see Hymer begin production of the re introduced Burstner Delfin on the new Renault Master from 2025 too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Picked up our new auto Rapido Dreamer campervan in March. The dashboard shows what gear you are in and I noticed it only goes up to 8 so I must have the new 8 speed box. It is very smooth in operation and has enough kick down to deal with German Autobahns and the Audis with blacked out windows that slash past you.
Mine won't engage 9th until the upper 50's, on A roads it never gets above 8... If it's a 9 speed it will also state "9 speed" on the gear lever.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Out of interest I have the the 9G-Tronic in the E class Merc and from memory only ever see it in 9th gear once, probably on a German autobahn, certainly not in the UK. What's the criteria, i.e. speed/revs to get in 9th? I'll add that I only ever use it in comfort mode, would that make a difference to achieving 9th?
my GLC has the 9 speed auto too and it is in 9th gear regularly. Any steady driving over around 63 mph it changes to 9th. Also only run it in comfort mode.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer 508 CL
Peter Vaughan has said that they are phasing these out for motorhome manufacturers, at least as I understand it. I think there has been discussion on here about a newer (?inferior) 8 speed auto on the way. We may not be ready to buy until next year when we may buy new. Do people think they will still be selling the 9-speed auto on new vans then? I thought some of you good (and well informed) people might know.
Thanksit

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
My 5speed manual is fine Some of you must have more money than sense
I think if you have ever driven a decent auto box then you would never go back to a manual, having money doesn’t come into it, if you invest in a new motorhome then the price of ticking the box for an automatic is irrelevant considering total outlay, also lots of people will need an auto for medical reasons like have a dodgy knee like my self 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
My 5speed manual is fine Some of you must have more money than sense
Or you just don't understand the ease of driving an auto and can look around enjoy the scenery and concentrate on traffic etc rather then giving your left leg and arm.some superfluous exercise 😉

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I think if you have ever driven a decent auto box then you would never go back to a manual, having money doesn’t come into it, if you invest in a new motorhome then the price of ticking the box for an automatic is irrelevant considering total outlay, also lots of people will need an auto for medical reasons like have a dodgy knee like my self 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agree with that. I had a VW Amarok 4x4 pickup with a 6 speed manual ‘box for year, that was replaced by the dealer with the same model but with a ZF 8 speed auto. Chalk and cheese and lacking nothing in off-road ability compared to the hi-lo ratio options of the manual version - in fact it was far better being able to concentrate on the driving rather than having to keep stirring the gearstick.

I was really looking forward driving the ZF 9 speed on the Adria and it hasn’t disappointed. I wonder how many who comment disparagingly about automatics have actually driven a modern one - or are they basing it on experience of old technology (or none at all?)! ;)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's a ZF box designed in 2008 originally for the 7 Series BMW. Stellantis have been using it since 2013, built in Indiana
The 7 Series BMW is RWD it's a totally different box in the Ducato as the Ducato is FWD.
It is a version of the FWD box used in Jeeps & Range Rovers since 2013 & its built in the states.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Agree with that. I had a VW Amarok 4x4 pickup with a 6 speed manual ‘box for year, that was replaced by the dealer with the same model but with a ZF 8 speed auto. Chalk and cheese and lacking nothing in off-road ability compared to the hi-lo ratio options of the manual version - in fact it was far better being able to concentrate on the driving rather than having to keep stirring the gearstick.

I was really looking forward driving the ZF 9 speed on the Adria and it hasn’t disappointed. I wonder how many who comment disparagingly about automatics have actually driven a modern one - or are they basing it on experience of old technology (or none at all?)! ;)
Yep, there a loads of Amarok drivers out there who think their 8 speed auto is a DSG box. The new Amarok, a cloned Ford Ranger, will have Fords 8F40 the same one they're fitting to the Series 10 Transit.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Yep, there a loads of Amarok drivers out there who think their 8 speed auto is a DSG box. The new Amarok, a cloned Ford Ranger, will have Fords 8F40 the same one they're fitting to the Series 10 Transit.
Which is why I know what I have now and will never buy the new one as the benefits are not there anymore 👍

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The 7 Series BMW is RWD it's a totally different box in the Ducato as the Ducato is FWD.
It is a version of the FWD box used in Jeeps & Range Rovers since 2013 & its built in the states.
Nope, sorry Lenny it's a deravative BMW box. Started life in the V12 760, box built in Saarbrucken. 1st Gen were rear wheel and 4x4, the latter going to VAG. 2nd Gen has a transverse variant & 3rd Gen can be used with mild & plug in Hybrids.

If you're talking about the TorqueFlite 8 used in the Jeeps, Rams, Chryslers & Dodges it's the BMW box. I did say it was built in Indiana?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Nope, sorry Lenny it's a deravative BMW box. Started life in the V12 760, box built in Saarbrucken. 1st Gen were rear wheel and 4x4, the latter going to VAG. 2nd Gen has a transverse variant & 3rd Gen can be used with mild & plug in Hybrids.

If you're talking about the TorqueFlite 8 used in the Jeeps, Rams, Chryslers & Dodges it's the BMW box. I did say it was built in Indiana?
Lenny is correct. The ZF 8HP is for longitudinal engines. It's designed to sit in the transmission tunnel. It can take huge power and torque, but it's also pretty large. You generally see it on RWD vehicles, but with a transfer case, it'll do 4WD like in the big Range Rovers.

The 9HP is not an evolution, it's a totally different product. It is designed to sit on the side of a transverse engine. So that's normally a 4 cylinder, but there are a few transverse V6s with the 9HP. The smaller Land Rovers like the Evoque use the 9HP... As does/did Fiat in the Ducato.

I think both the 8HP and 9HP have evolutions to allow various types of hybrid input.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We are selling our 9 months old I "U " shape lounge motorhome , it has a 9 speed limit done 29.4 to gallon, @ 3500 kgs , went well , I don't particularly care if a new one is 8 or 9 speed as long as it is as good as this 9 speed except I smile to myself when it manages to get into 3rd speed ratio / band within 150 yards from start off.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Our dethleffs at 4.5t does about 25mpg on a 180hp Comformatic so maybe the higher output engine are more economic than the smaller ones with a heavier vehicle?
I have a 4000kg Adria with 130hp and comfortmatic, I've averaged 28mpg over the last 4 years. If someone is only getting 22 then there's something wrong with the van or the driving style.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022

and of course they really come into their own in traffic or long, slow queues. That's when you really know that an auto box is far superior to a manual. My first 40 years I drove a manual (but even at 18 secretly wanted an auto), the last 20 have been an automatic.....will never go back.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The older auto boxes used to use more fuel than manual ones. The modern ones are quite the opposite and are more fuel efficient than manual ones. Knowing which gear is the most economical and making rapid changes to optimise efficiency makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The older auto boxes used to use more fuel than manual ones. The modern ones are quite the opposite and are more fuel efficient than manual ones. Knowing which gear is the most economical and making rapid changes to optimise efficiency makes a difference.
I think old torque converter boxes were quite inefficient, just through the mechanical systems used. The torque converter had slip, the planetary gears had resistance. Newer designs lock the torque converter very quickly after a shift, and more conventional meshing gears and clutches with tech borrowed from DSG boxes has made up much of the efficiency gap.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That's more to do with all the extra gears squeezed into modern auto boxes. The torque can stay nearer to optimum, but you'll never get quite the efficiency of a robotised manual which is why they exist(ed)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That's more to do with all the extra gears squeezed into modern auto boxes. The torque can stay nearer to optimum, but you'll never get quite the efficiency of a robotised manual which is why they exist(ed)
Yes, the additional ratios have helped. But torque converter boxes used to just sap more power. Transmission losses have substantial decreased so they're nearly as good as a manual box now.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've been reading this thread and noted most peoples view of the 9 speed auto is positive and that they wouldn't go back to a manual. I have a 180hp 9 speed Fiat based A class with 3500 miles on the clock. I've never been that happy with the gearbox especially coming off roundabouts. I drive in Normal mode pretty much all the time. Seems D5 has the deficiency. I have yet to try it in manual mode. Maybe it's that the engine needs some more loosening up, or perhaps I don't drive it correctly (our first auto box on any vehicle). I shall give it a few thousand more miles when in France latter this year before I seek the dealers comments (they are Fiat Professional people)! At the moment I would happily go back to my previous 6 speed manual.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back