How Do I Know If My MH Is Winterised, Please? (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Have a look if you find something like this nearby the heater.
It's a lever that alllow you to deviate some of the heat from the heater unit to the waste water tank, to avoid freezing.
That would mean the waste water tank would be isolated and had an inlet to allow this heat to move around it and thus avoid it to get frozen.
Captura de pantalla 2024-09-16 a las 19.23.20.png

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It's a lever that alllow you to deviate some of the heat from the heater unit to the waste water tank, to avoid freezing.
That would mean the waste water tank would be isolated and had an inlet to allow this heat to move around it and thus avoid it to get frozen.
View attachment 950894
Mine does that without the lever

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I think there are different levels of winterisation. The ultimate being double floors with all pipework and tanks in that heated space. But my Hobby Optima is winterised. The water tank is inboard and the grey waste is insulated and heated. I have been fine down to -19c. At that temperature we were fine inside but had issues with the Comformatic gearbox. I have insulated outside pipes myself, use a bucket for the grey waste and put silver bubble wrap in all the skylights. I have an insulated screen cover and a cover for the front to stop drafts coming in through the engine compartment. Occasionally pipes have frozen on one side but have been fine by lunchtime when it's been say-15c overnight.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
View attachment 950894

I don't think I have anything like that.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I'm surprised that wasn't the first question asked, who knows, it might even tell the OP in/on the MH handbook? šŸ˜„

Just to say that the handbook is in French and I don't speak French at all. I've been unable to find an English version anywhere online and it's pages and pages long, far too long to scan it in and OCR it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Just to say that the handbook is in French and I don't speak French at all. I've been unable to find an English version anywhere online and it's pages and pages long, far too long to scan it in and OCR it.
If you have an android phone, Google Lens, part of Google photos (perhaps available for iPhone as well?), will translate a page in French from a photo of the page.

If you have an android tablet, or a laptop with Google photos, think you can do the same thing (can't remember the detailed sequence of how to).

Perhaps start with the table of contents at the front to figure general location!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
If you have an android phone, Google Lens, part of Google photos (perhaps available for iPhone as well?), will translate a page in French from a photo of the page.

If you have an android tablet, or a laptop with Google photos, think you can do the same thing (can't remember the detailed sequence of how to).

Perhaps start with the table of contents at the front to figure general location!

I don't have a smartphone at all. I have a camera and could upload a photo to my laptop, I suppose. It would be a very long-winded process.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I don't have a smartphone at all. I have a camera and could upload a photo to my laptop, I suppose. It would be a very long-winded process.
Having now seen the one at the owners club, I'm beginning to think that the manual may not even tell you.

However, I'd take a photo of the TOC and get it translated for anything related to water or storage or frost.

You get the idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Having now seen the one at the owners club, I'm beginning to think that the manual may not even tell you.

However, I'd take a photo of the TOC and get it translated for anything related to water or storage or frost.

You get the idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sorry but.....TOC? :unsure:

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Turn up the heating and put a bucket under the open waste pipe and your sorted for a cold weekend. šŸ˜€ Longer and colder trips require better preparation šŸ„¶.
Screenshot_2024-09-16-21-29-33-37_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Dont think winterised is a specific specification just a termonology and all manufacturers have a different take on it.
We have a double floor with all pipes inside but the grey waste in underneath outside so only semi winterised.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Dont think winterised is a specific specification just a termonology and all manufacturers have a different take on it.
We have a double floor with all pipes inside but the grey waste in underneath outside so only semi winterised.

I agree, winterised is a term that has to be treated with a degree of scepticism.

I viewed a new PVC last year that was advertised as 'winterised' except the tanks were underslung and bare.
When I queried this with a salesman, he said it was winterised because the freshwater one had a heater.

On some of the Ski trips I've been on, a small heater would do nothing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back