How Do I Know If My MH Is Winterised, Please? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
do you have a double skin floor ? lift a floor panel or open a latch, and the pipes tend to run in between them and the fresh tank may even be in there, or fully insulated, maybe a tank heater
I'd say, if winterized, all water, batteries, and likely all the electrics should be between the floors.

Should also be evidence that there is heating supplied to the inter floor areas.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thanks everyone. The water tank is under a seat, as is the battery. I do have a floor panel that lifts up but it's in an area that's stepped up, under the table. I've no idea where the pipes go. I'll have a look tomorrow :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone. The water tank is under a seat, as is the battery. I do have a floor panel that lifts up but it's in an area that's stepped up, under the table. I've no idea where the pipes go. I'll have a look tomorrow :)

A key question will then be where the waste tank is. If it's suspended below the floor then it's a less than gold standard level of winterisation. In that position it may still be heated, or insulated, but if it's in a heated void between two floors that would be the 'proper' level.

(Not that one necessarily needs all that. I had it for many years and it was a bit wasted on me. Now have a PVC with an unheated underslung waste tank.)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
A key question will then be where the waste tank is. If it's suspended below the floor then it's a less than gold standard level of winterisation. In that position it may still be heated, or insulated, but if it's in a heated void between two floors that would be the 'proper' level.

(Not that one necessarily needs all that. I had it for many years and it was a bit wasted on me. Now have a PVC with an unheated underslung waste tank.)

I've no idea where the waste tank is. Actually, that's not stricly true, as I know where the pull handle is to drain it, so I know roughly where it is. I'm getting my head under the MH tomorrow to check all this out! :)

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Of course, if you lift a floor panel and see the ground below……. ;) ;)
That'd be a caravan.

Actually, I lie.

Mostly, you just need to lift the seat base, and you'll see the ground through the wire covered vents.

Was looking at some new Swift caravans a couple of months ago, and couldn't believe this is still the case.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I've no idea where the waste tank is. Actually, that's not stricly true, as I know where the pull handle is to drain it, so I know roughly where it is. I'm getting my head under the MH tomorrow to check all this out! :)
If you get your head under it and can see anything but the diesel tank, exhaust and suspension related stuff on the corners, it's rather unlikely it's winterised!

(Did I miss anything?)

• Thanks
Reactions: HKF
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A pull handle on the grey waste is a good sign. Anything with a tap on the end of pipe is not winterised, the tap and the pipe are the first things to freeze up.

• Informative
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What make is the motorhome?
There's a fair chance it's a Benimar Europe 740. :wink:
(Turn your phone to landscape view).

1726472683009.png

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
If it's German, then it probably is.
If it's Italian it probably isn't.
If it's British it will claim it is, but with all the damp it wont make much difference.
;)

It's was built in Spain but initially sold in northern France :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
While looking underneath, if you take some photos of the underside and post here, folks will be able to tell I am sure.

• Thanks
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have an old 2008 Chausson.

I've decided to fool myself that it is sort of 'medium winterised'.
This is based on:-
Internal water tank under the seats.
Pull handle for the waste tank (but tank mounted underfloor at the rear)
No external water piping.
'Thick' rigid foam sandwich floor.

Told you I was fooling myself ☺️

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I have an old 2008 Chausson.

I've decided to fool myself that it is sort of 'medium winterised'.
This is based on:-
Internal water tank under the seats.
Pull handle for the waste tank (but tank mounted underfloor at the rear)
No external water piping.
'Thick' rigid foam sandwich floor.

Told you I was fooling myself ☺️

You should be ok for short cold stints. You can use your water, then it will freeze in your waste tank, then you go home.

Or you leave the waste tap open and it flows out until the icicle freezes you to the ground.

Or, more probably, it just doesn't get that cold and you're ok because you're not on a skiing holiday!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back