How did they unlock my cab? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
I stayed the night in a motorway rest area on the E17 in France, heading towards Calais. At 6:30am I woke up to the sound of my cab doors unlocking, and the interior light came on in the cab. Then the passenger door started to open. I yelled "HEY" and it closed again, so fortunately nothing was lost. The motorhome is based on a 2017 Fiat Ducato chassis. The keys were in the ignition and I was sleeping in the back. There is no way that they could have had advance access to the actual key as I parked and went to bed without ever opening a door. My question is how did they manage to unlock the cab doors? Did they somehow pick the lock on the driver's side before coming around the the passenger side? Did they have a way of remotely reading the chip in the key that was in the ignition? Or is there another way of remotely defeating the locking system?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I stayed the night in a motorway rest area on the E17 in France, heading towards Calais. At 6:30am I woke up to the sound of my cab doors unlocking, and the interior light came on in the cab. Then the passenger door started to open. I yelled "HEY" and it closed again, so fortunately nothing was lost. The motorhome is based on a 2017 Fiat Ducato chassis. The keys were in the ignition and I was sleeping in the back. There is no way that they could have had advance access to the actual key as I parked and went to bed without ever opening a door. My question is how did they manage to unlock the cab doors? Did they somehow pick the lock on the driver's side before coming around the the passenger side? Did they have a way of remotely reading the chip in the key that was in the ignition? Or is there another way of remotely defeating the locking system?
😮 worrying

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Here is my thread after exactly the same happened to us.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I stayed the night in a motorway rest area on the E17 in France, heading towards Calais . At 6:30am I woke up to the sound of my cab doors unlocking, and the interior light came on in the cab. Then the passenger door started to open. I yelled "HEY" and it closed again, so fortunately nothing was lost. The motorhome is based on a 2017 Fiat Ducato chassis. The keys were in the ignition and I was sleeping in the back . There is no way that they could have had advance access to the actual key as I parked and went to bed without ever opening a door. My question is how did they manage to unlock the cab doors? Did they somehow pick the lock on the driver's side before coming around the the passenger side? Did they have a way of remotely reading the chip in the key that was in the ignition? Or is there another way of remotely defeating the locking system?

Not a good combination.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Check just under your driver's door handle to see if you have a small puncture hole. Pushing a thin screwdriver though the door skin at a certain point will find the door to lock release, also skeleton keys which read the lock tumblers are available on the internet.
Two things I along with most would not do is leave my keys in the ignition if not driving or sleep on motorway services which are notorious for thiefs during the night.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Check just under your driver's door handle to see if you have a small puncture hole. Pushing a thin screwdriver though the door skin at a certain point will find the door to lock release.
Two things I along with most would not do is leave my keys in the ignition if not driving or sleep on motorway services which are notorious for thiefs during the night.

That's worrying. How can it be so easy to get into? What's the best way to overcome this, please?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The chances are that the doors were not even locked despite leaving the keys in the ignition.. which in itself is a big no no.
If The passenger door was opening first then the entral locking was probably never engaged in the first place.
The moral is . Never overnight
in a Service station especially one near a ferry port and never leave keys in the ignition.
If we ever just stop in a service station one of us always stays with the van and all doors are kept locked even if just fuelling up. (y)
The OP was very lucky.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
That's worrying. How can it be so easy to get into? What's the best way to overcome this, please?
We have Proplates & deadlocks fitted to our cab doors. Id also set the alarm if I had to park up somewhere that looked a bit ropey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

I doubt it can, the thieves will always move from one step behind to moving two steps ahead!

I have an electronics friend who can open almost any common, modern car. He made a device, sent it of to a couple of manufacturers so they could see how their vehicles but they were not interested. He convinced me that they already knee but any defence mechanism would be too expensive to build in and would soon be beaten and only removing modern features would cause a user revolt!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Wheny daughter's car was stolen the police said the thieves have laptops that fire all the key unlock codes very fast, they keep going until the indicators flash

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Can I just say that I've been sleeping regularly on motorway services in the UK and Europe for years, without a single issue.

Close to the same! I've had and witnessed 'door handle chancers' worked on the principle thT if there Re 200 vecles in a carpark one will be unlo ked or windows will be open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would also like to say that I have done lots of things that other Funsters would deem very stupid before the OP is afraid to show his/her face again. A number of them have happened in the last month and we have owned van’s for 14 years now but not this new one.

It may not have been their normal practice to leave keys in the ignition anyway. They may have been knackered or had a senior moment. Be kind.

Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
Wheny daughter's car was stolen the police said the thieves have laptops that fire all the key unlock codes very fast, they keep going until the indicators flash
My daughter was waken one evening by a noise and after investigating, they have cameras all around their house and saw the thief with a type of net !!! going around......... the police recons that the "net' is a pickup device that goes back to a laptop... if they get a signal from your key they automatically open your car door..... they then let off the handbrake and push your car onto a waiting trailer !!!! the answer is to keep your car keys whilst in the house in a 'Faraday Pouch' they are then unable to pick up the key signal.........SO, I do believe this a factual and not a 'nonsense' thread.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I can't see post #7.

It was a link to this thread,

• Thanks
Reactions: HKF

Join us or log in to post a reply.