Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Heading home via Caen/Portsmouth the other day and our Peugeot 2.2 went into limp mode.Garage said that injector 1 was at fault (P0201).Ordered parts to be fixed next day.On our return was shown the photo to much amusement.Apparently the little ******* had bitten through the wiring.Roughly £800 lighter we were on our way home.
I've has mice in the air filter but this rat got under the cover of the injectors

IMG-20240730-WA0000.jpg

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
They’re a real menace…had one chew through a rigid plastic pipe on the turbo and went into limp mode. I think the only thing that keeps them properly under control is to use the van very regularly. Leaving it for extended periods in storage isn’t good as they might nest and develop a taste for your plant based wiring insulation - yum! Some swear by peppermint oil spray, while others recommend sonic noise devices and similar electronic gizmos. I use storage that has regular and intensive rodent control measures and that seems to help. The little buggers eat the bait and go off and die somewhere. Advice from the professionals seems to be don’t put a baited trap in the van or engine compartment as the food source attracts them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Sonic device is useless.
I have sprinkled rat poison into handy recesses on other vehicles I look after that spend long winters in sheds ......

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
I have tried several methods Traps / sonic / Poison to no avail until I was told about Fox Pee. !!!!! ordered from e-bay.... regularly spray around the engine housing and wheels whilst in storage and not had an issue since.🤞

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
We reckon this was a French rat from Saintes as this was our last stop before home after being in Spain for 2 weeks.I've read there is an anti rat tape put on Honda cars which you can wrap round wiring but this means I have to access the top of the engine 1st.Apparently the plastic on wiring contains soya which vermin love

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
SwiftKontiki Gr Prix
Exp
Since 2002
Heading home via Caen/Portsmouth the other day and our Peugeot 2.2 went into limp mode.Garage said that injector 1 was at fault (P0201).Ordered parts to be fixed next day.On our return was shown the photo to much amusement.Apparently the little ******* had bitten through the wiring.Roughly £800 lighter we were on our way home.
I've has mice in the air filter but this rat got under the cover of the injectors

View attachment 930898
I was told, and do Spray the underside of the van with white vinegar; evidently the little perishers don’t like the smell and tend to avoid it. I have never had a rodent problem in all the time I have been doing this; and it has been more than 25 years, or am I just lucky

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was told, and do Spray the underside of the van with white vinegar; evidently the little perishers don’t like the smell and tend to avoid it. I have never had a rodent problem in all the time I have been doing this; and it has been more than 25 years, or am I just lucky
White vinegar evaporates quickly and the smell fades rapidly. I can't see that working tbh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: I use white vinegar on the headliner, steering wheel, gear lever, carpet and upholstery to kill off mould spores. Parking under trees all year means some autumn/winter you get it really bad unless you keep on top of it.
The day after spraying I cannot smell any vinegar. It is seriously effective though. I did it 3 years ago and it hasn't come back since.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back