Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Could somebody tell me what the difference is between hotmail & outlook express please?
Got a new laptop that's running windows 11 & have yet to load anything on it, I do use a hotmail.com email address & if I hover over the tab is say's outlook.live.com
Thanks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have them. Might be wrong but are they not one and the same?

“”Outlook.com and Hotmail.com are domains owned by Microsoft where you can access your email. Outlook.com is the newer version that you're redirected to if you type in Hotmail.com. However, Outlook is also an application, specifically a desktop email client. It's part of the Microsoft Office Suite””

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Microsoft own all of it.

outlook express is a desktop application where you can connect to POP3 and IMAP4 mailboxes. Your email is then stored on your local computer (and server if IMAP4).
Outlook.com and hotmail are both webmail. where the email application is a web app accessed via your browser.

You can also use 3rd party email apps like thunderbird.

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
Microsoft own all of it.

outlook express is a desktop application where you can connect to POP3 and IMAP4 mailboxes. Your email is then stored on your local computer (and server if IMAP4).
Outlook.com and hotmail are both webmail. where the email application is a web app accessed via your browser.

You can also use 3rd party email apps like thunderbird.
Thunderbird is great. Has a unified (single) inbox for all your email accounts and syncs with your iPhone calendar.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thunderbird is great. Has a unified (single) inbox for all your email accounts and syncs with your iPhone calendar.
you can have a unified box. or multiple boxes each with folders. I do the latter.
So I have my business, shopping, personal etc all in separate mailboxes. An advantage of running my own domain and servers :)

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Could somebody tell me what the difference is between hotmail & outlook express please?
Hotmail is a web based email system. Outlook Express is (was?) an email client which stores email on your computer.

Outlook express will not run on anything newer than a Windows XP Computer (or XP Mode on Windows 7)

Having said that it was (and still is) an excellent email system. I use it every day on an XP system I keep just for that purpose.

I can use remote desktop to access it from lots of other (more modern) systems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RobertBrown

Free Member
Aug 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hotmail is a web-based email service, now rebranded as Outlook.com. Outlook Express was a desktop email client, discontinued since Windows 7. On Windows 11, you can access your Hotmail/Outlook email through the Mail app or web browser.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back