Hook of Holland - recommendations of where to stay first night in Holland please (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are catching the ferry to Holland from Harwich on Sunday morning. Can anyone advise of a 'not too distant' place to spend our first evening, preferably within half an hour or so of the Port?

Happy to use a camp site or Aire, so long as its not too far to travel as I'm unsure of how long it will take to unload from the ferry as we dont intend arriving at Harwich too early as we live local.

We have the ACSI card and All the Aires Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands - so if anyone has a recommendation in those publications we can check them beforehand.

TIA

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Can't recommend anywhere, but Search for Sites shows quite a few places nearby.
Screenshot_20230915_095544_searchforsites.jpg

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Gouda is good but I had a problem getting my credit card back!
We quite like the marina at Gorinchem as you can look at the boats or cross a small bank to watch ships on the Rhine. The drone of those barges may keep you awake!
Heading south we scuttled round Rotterdam and had a very quiet night next to the canal at Breda

Enjoy - Gordon

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
we are considering Abennes and Schiedam at the moment, but all suggestions are more than welcome.

we havent decided where to go for mon/tuesday onwards yet, so will be reading previous bogs, entries and adventures previously posted.
if there is anywhere we MUST avoid, then please let us know. its our first time touring Holland and really want to stay in Holland though of course a quick detour over the border into a neighbouring country might be 'interesting' LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Anyone care to add any others they may have discovered?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
This is a regular run for us.

Unless we are heading for Western France or Spain, we use the Harwich/Hoek van Holland ferry as it saves time and money
when compared to the Dover/Calais crossing.

It means the driving miles and time to Switzerland, Italy, Germany and even eastern France are considerably less (and also toll free) when compared to Dover/Calais.

We always take the night boat, each way.
Which means you board early evening, go to bed in a nice cabin, and leave first thing in the morning.

This means on the way in, our first campsite is in Germany.
At a place called Braubach on the Rhein with bars and restaurants and a few local castles.
It's 400km/4-5hrs from Hoek van Holland
It's a small town, close to both southbound motorways, it has a big Stellplatz and also a nice campsite here

On the way back, we aim for the Delftse Hout campsite at Delft.
It's 30 mins/30km from the ferry port.
You usually need to book, as it's often full. And you will not be the only vehicle on site having just come off the ferry or about to go on it.
The campsite is on the edge of Delft, so you can walk (or do as the Dutch do, cycle) into the centre of town.

Outside the campside is a wide road, it's not an official Stellplatz, but there are plenty of motorhomes that park there (free) for the day awaiting the night ferry, or I suspect spend the night, for the morning ferry.
I think the campsite offers a "access to the loo blocks and elsan dump point only" ticket, so you don't have to actually pay for a pitch, especially if you are arriving or leaving early.

As we tend to catch the night ferry, we stay the night in the campsite and use all the very nice facilities, check out before 11am, and move to just outside the gate, go into town for the day and then come back when it's time to board the night ferry.

There is a lot to see in Delft, you can easily spend a day, or two, there, even if just people watching from the cafes, bars and restaurants that are in the main square.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
A park up would suffice to be honest. Somewhere to sleep safely before setting off in the morning, in fact tomorrow morning as we're on the ferry now !

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
we are considering Abennes and Schiedam at the moment, but all suggestions are more than welcome.

we havent decided where to go for mon/tuesday onwards yet, so will be reading previous bogs, entries and adventures previously posted.
if there is anywhere we MUST avoid, then please let us know. its our first time touring Holland and really want to stay in Holland though of course a quick detour over the border into a neighbouring country might be 'interesting' LOL
Volendam , Giethoorn ( not to be missed, hire a little electric boat for a few hours, it’s the Venice of the north) Veere, Valkenburg , Maastricht, Veluwe national park area, open air museum Arnhem .
If you like cities, Utrecht , Bergen op Zoom have nice old centre’s
Just over the border in the far south east of nl visit the Ardennes in Belgium , it’s beautiful, de caves of Han are worthwhile ,
Whilst in that corner visit Monschau in Germany ,
In Flanders Antwerp , Bruges and Gent.
In the north of NL The islands Texel, ameland and vlieland are beautiful , drive over the afsluitdijk too? Have fun, best road surface in the world😇😎🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A park up would suffice to be honest. Somewhere to sleep safely before setting off in the morning, in fact tomorrow morning as we're on the ferry now !
Then aim for Korftlaan (Hive Lane in Delft) post code is 2616 LJ DELFT
Forward facing free parking under trees, so length is not a problem.
Walking distance into the center of Deft.
25 mins from the ferry.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Volendam , Giethoorn and Monschau all worth a visit for a day or two rather than just a stop over.
May be a bit far for what MisterB is looking for.
Monschau or Volendam are our places of choice for last stop before getting ferry back to Newcastle.
Not keen on a long drive back to ferry

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Etten leur is very nice. Yacht haven with a bar and nice cycle routes and close to Breden.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Then aim for Korftlaan (Hive Lane in Delft) post code is 2616 LJ DELFT
Forward facing free parking under trees, so length is not a problem.
Walking distance into the center of Deft.
25 mins from the ferry.

It's now camp site or the signs have been removed to make you use the campsite?
Etten leur is very nice. Yacht haven with a bar and nice cycle routes and close to Breden.

That's where we ended up.really nice place to stay the night, not cheap though at €25 (Inc tourist tax) but I suppose that's an average price. They don't offer a non EHU price, which would bring it down a bit ....

We would be quite happy here as our last night before the ferry as it's about an hour away

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
When we’re on the day Stena crossing we head an hour 20 to Grobbendonk👍
On way back as others, stop at delft👍
IMG_6647.png

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Good grief that takes me back!
Spent many an hour digging slit trenches with my shovel gs and living in it for a fortnight in grobbendonk whilst on exercise with the army! Luckily the soil was sandy 🙄

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Etten Leur - even has its own beach and bathing lake, with highly rated water for swimming ...

IMG_20240606_210226.jpg

IMG_20240606_205825.jpg

IMG_20240606_205545.jpg

IMG_20240606_205210.jpg

As it has a beach, swimming make etc, I can see why they charge €23 (plus tourist tax) and only allow two night stays !

So far one of the few park ups in Holland where you can't hear aircraft flying over !!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
MisterB we stayed here https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=38136 its just a park up about 5 minutes from the port. Fits about 20 vans no facilities. There's a fish and chip van just a bit further up the road. Fine for a night.
Thanks, my fault for not asking sooner ..... We actually quite like where we are, it's just the wallet that doesn't. I could have bought a pretty good lamb curry for a vegetarian meat eater for the price we've paid .... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Etten Leur - even has its own beach and bathing lake, with highly rated water for swimming ...

View attachment 906059

View attachment 906060
View attachment 906061

View attachment 906062

As it has a beach, swimming make etc, I can see why they charge €23 (plus tourist tax) and only allow two night stays !

So far one of the few park ups in Holland where you can't hear aircraft flying over !!
I'll second that.

Nice restaurant and facilities including showers.

Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
Yep , that’s what I did , about 30 mins from the ferry
Booked it through the CAMC
Lots of UK vans there , nice shop
Recommend
a great site so convenient for both the town and countryside. We will be there again at the end of June for two nights before the ferry back to Hull

Chris Laing

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Volendam , Giethoorn ( not to be missed, hire a little electric boat for a few hours, it’s the Venice of the north) Veere, Valkenburg , Maastricht, Veluwe national park area, open air museum Arnhem .
If you like cities, Utrecht , Bergen op Zoom have nice old centre’s
Just over the border in the far south east of nl visit the Ardennes in Belgium , it’s beautiful, de caves of Han are worthwhile ,
Whilst in that corner visit Monschau in Germany ,
In Flanders Antwerp , Bruges and Gent.
In the north of NL The islands Texel, ameland and vlieland are beautiful , drive over the afsluitdijk too? Have fun, best road surface in the world😇😎🤷🏻‍♂️
We are heading over in a couple of weeks and will spend a couple of days in the Netherlands before heading into Germany.

The plan is to visit Giethoorn but not sure if there is somewhere to park overnight.

Chris

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
We are heading over in a couple of weeks and will spend a couple of days in the Netherlands before heading into Germany.

The plan is to visit Giethoorn but not sure if there is somewhere to park overnight.

Chris
Giethoorn area is very rural , so plenty of space 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back