Home Assistant integration inc Fogstar JBD (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I was bought a Rasperry Pi for Christmas so decided to use it as a Home Assistant server in the motorhome to pull together and harmonise many smart switches and sensors I’ve got in the motorhome into one dashboard. It’s taken a while to get to grips with the coding (yaml) but I’ve got a simple multi level dashboard on my phone which I can access and control from wherever iam. I’ve also integrated via MQTT my 2 Fogstar batteries which allow access to a multitude of info to utilize in automation’s. I’ll be adding the info too from various Victron MPPT’s via MQTT too once I return home and buy the various cables etc.

Just thought I’d share this info for anyone interested. Here are a few screen shots but every information button leads into another level of data and switches to control. I’ll be installing a 7” touch screen and developing a front end to easy access the info in the motorhome.

IMG_1463.png

IMG_1452.png

IMG_1453.png

IMG_1458.png

IMG_1459.png

IMG_1460.png

IMG_1455.png

IMG_1457.png

IMG_1456.png

IMG_1462.png

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've been using HA for several years at home. I connected my Victron solar charger to it via an ESP board a couple of years ago as a quick experiment.

How did you get the data from the battery?

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Goo job .beyond my computer literacy, I'll stick with Alexa and apps whole house runs on her( about 60ish ltems from curtains to fans)van next ...it all works which is more than it would if I tried your route...to say nothing of my mental state if I tried !!!
Alexa runs alongside HA, I too have lots and lots of smart items in the motorhome and the integration is great, the amount of automations you can do in HA compared to Alexa is enormous.

The best thing is you can do what is called actionable notifications with Alexa so instead of asking Alexa to do something, she asks you and depending on the response she will run a routine 👍

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I've been using HA for several years at home. I connected my Victron solar charger to it via an ESP board a couple of years ago as a quick experiment.

How did you get the data from the battery?
It took me a while to get the coding right and set up the MQTT Broker but basically install Mosquitto Broker and Batmon on the HA, then set up the broker and Batmon. I can write some detailed notes at some point if you get stuck?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It took me a while to get the coding right and set up the MQTT Broker but basically install Mosquitto Broker and Batmon on the HA, then set up the broker and Batmon. I can write some detailed notes at some point if you get stuck?
But how is it communicating? Bluetooth to the Pi?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a Pi Zero W running an air quality station in the back garden. It's been running for 5 years, it's just hot glued into a couple of drainpipe angles to keep the water off. Powered with an extra long USB cable out through the seals on a window. I really didn't think it'd last this long. I had to write my own code to get the data from the modules and send it back to my HA server over MQTT. So I'm reasonably familiar with the messaging.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
I have HA running the home. Must admit I would be very interested in hearing about a Motorhome set up, what devices you use for temp tracking etc.

fredthechippy

Free Member
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
DAF truck
I was bought a Rasperry Pi for Christmas so decided to use it as a Home Assistant server in the motorhome to pull together and harmonise many smart switches and sensors I’ve got in the motorhome into one dashboard. It’s taken a while to get to grips with the coding (yaml) but I’ve got a simple multi level dashboard on my phone which I can access and control from wherever iam. I’ve also integrated via MQTT my 2 Fogstar batteries which allow access to a multitude of info to utilize in automation’s. I’ll be adding the info too from various Victron MPPT’s via MQTT too once I return home and buy the various cables etc.

Just thought I’d share this info for anyone interested. Here are a few screen shots but every information button leads into another level of data and switches to control. I’ll be installing a 7” touch screen and developing a front end to easy access the info in the motorhome.

View attachment 869512
View attachment 869513
View attachment 869514
View attachment 869515
View attachment 869516
View attachment 869517
View attachment 869518
View attachment 869519
View attachment 869520
View attachment 869521
Hi @
dpsuk999 do you need to set up an MQTT broker running separately to HA, or is just enabling the integration on HA sufficient? I also have a couple of Fogstar batts I want to hook up. Appreciate if you can share any code you’ve built…!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi @

dpsuk999 do you need to set up an MQTT broker running separately to HA, or is just enabling the integration on HA sufficient? I also have a couple of Fogstar batts I want to hook up. Appreciate if you can share any code you’ve built…!
HA OS installs on the Pi come with the ability to install an MQTT broker with a couple of clicks as one of the supported Add Ons.

May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
dpsuk999 This is awesome. I would love this in my van as someone who has dabbled in HA at home. The wife may not, but hay ;)
1 - This deserves a tutorial / video etc, therefore if you have the time, a "buy me a coffee" link would get smashed by me
2 - 920Ah worth of lithium I think that has to be a van record right?
3 - What wifi relay switches are you using?
Thanks
Danny

fredthechippy

Free Member
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
DAF truck
HA OS installs on the Pi come with the ability to install an MQTT broker with a couple of clicks as one of the supported Add Ons.
Got it. My PI isn’t seeing my Fogstar batteries though. Bluetooth is enabled. Did you have to do anything special…?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Got it. My PI isn’t seeing my Fogstar batteries though. Bluetooth is enabled. Did you have to do anything special…?
I think dpsuk999 is using Batmon to suck the Bluetooth data from the Fogstar battery and turn it into MQTT messages.

This add-on I'm guessing?

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I have dabbled a lot in programming as it fascinates me. I love Python and also Django for web stuff. However, I started this passion late in life and do not see myself as a proficient programmer. I have a Raspberry Pi from more than 10 years ago and never really did much with it. Would it still be valid for a project like this or is it too outdated. I would love to have all that information at hand.

fredthechippy

Free Member
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
DAF truck
Got it! Had to get Batmon running properly then the battery comes up under devices. Brilliant!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I have dabbled a lot in programming as it fascinates me. I love Python and also Django for web stuff. However, I started this passion late in life and do not see myself as a proficient programmer. I have a Raspberry Pi from more than 10 years ago and never really did much with it. Would it still be valid for a project like this or is it too outdated. I would love to have all that information at hand.
I think a Pi 2 can just about run Home Assistant, but it'll take several minutes to boot. They recommend a Pi 3.

Home Assistant is a very simple framework that says there are devices that have data, can trigger events and accept inputs. And it provides a basic user interface, so increasingly you don't even need to configure stuff with yaml text files. There are literally thousands of integrations that make it very easy to plug random devices together, suck the data out and get them to talk to each other. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you've got the pattern of how stuff works, it becomes a bit nuts as to how many things you can chain together.

My 15 year old washing machine in the garage now announces across the house when it's finished its cycle. I plugged it into a smart plug that gave me energy useage data in home assistant. So when the power goes above 50 watts for a minute, I know the cycle has started. And then it waits until it's dropped below 50 watts for 10 minutes. No more forgetting about the wet washing in the machine and finding it's gone stanky the next day!

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I think a Pi 2 can just about run Home Assistant, but it'll take several minutes to boot. They recommend a Pi 3.

Home Assistant is a very simple framework that says there are devices that have data, can trigger events and accept inputs. And it provides a basic user interface, so increasingly you don't even need to configure stuff with yaml text files. There are literally thousands of integrations that make it very easy to plug random devices together, suck the data out and get them to talk to each other. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you've got the pattern of how stuff works, it becomes a bit nuts as to how many things you can chain together.

My 15 year old washing machine in the garage now announces across the house when it's finished its cycle. I plugged it into a smart plug that gave me energy useage data in home assistant. So when the power goes above 50 watts for a minute, I know the cycle has started. And then it waits until it's dropped below 50 watts for 10 minutes. No more forgetting about the wet washing in the machine and finding it's gone stanky the next day!
That's very cool. I might just dig out the Pi and see what I can do. Thank you for your reply.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
I'm using a Pi with Aqara zigbee window door and temperature sensors. I use alarmo as an add-on to monitor the windows doors and send text message alerts. I also have a zigbee smoke sensor and a zigbee water leak sensor

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
dpsuk999 Thanks for this I set up VenusOS on an old Pi-2 quickly to monitor my Lithium Instalation for this holiday but hate the clunky interface and it’s limitations. So am anxious to set up an HA server in the van. My whole house and solar system is running on it at home but as Paul Hibbert says “My virginity is beginning to grow back” with no HA projects to do. I have my pi-3 that used to run the house ( I now use a refurb Wise Thin Client) so you have inspired me to get started on the VAN. If you can share any code I and I am sure many others would be very grateful. I struggle a bit with the coding but have found that ChatGTP is great for getting the basic code down quickly. She often gets it wrong so ask her to check her own code.
Do you have Victron Batteries or does BatMon work with Fogstar?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Pi 2 might just be too painful!

I'm using a Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and that works well.
I found the Pi-2 was a bit flakey with HA (it’s ok with venusOS though) but my Pi-3b was rock solid even with about 200 devices and about 30 automations. But it needs an SSD as it burns through SD cards quite quickly. Very easy to boot from a SSD. Essential to set up daily backups though using the GoogleDrive Backup integration. I have had to re-load my instalation twice from backup.
I now have it running on a refurb thin client that I got from eBay for £20 been running non stop for three years now.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
I'm using a Pi with Aqara zigbee window door and temperature sensors. I use alarmo as an add-on to monitor the windows doors and send text message alerts. I also have a zigbee smoke sensor and a zigbee water leak sensor
If it helps too, I also use these BT battery monitors (one Hab and one Cab) via an ESP32/ESPHome in HA...

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I found the Pi-2 was a bit flakey with HA (it’s ok with venusOS though) but my Pi-3b was rock solid even with about 200 devices and about 30 automations. But it needs an SSD as it burns through SD cards quite quickly. Very easy to boot from a SSD. Essential to set up daily backups though using the GoogleDrive Backup integration. I have had to re-load my instalation twice from backup.
I now have it running on a refurb thin client that I got from eBay for £20 been running non stop for three years now.
Yes, I trialled HA using a SD card to see how I got on with it. After a few weeks I migrated the system to a SSD, I've also got daily backups going to google drive.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Realy good and thanks for sharing. How do you get the fridge and freezer temperatures?

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Incidentally I’ve now integrated water monitoring into HA so now I can see what I’m putting in and what I’m taking out and it’s calibrated exactly to the litre, just done it a couple of days ago 👍
IMG_3875.png

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
dpsuk999 This is awesome. I would love this in my van as someone who has dabbled in HA at home. The wife may not, but hay ;)
1 - This deserves a tutorial / video etc, therefore if you have the time, a "buy me a coffee" link would get smashed by me
2 - 920Ah worth of lithium I think that has to be a van record right?
3 - What wifi relay switches are you using?
Thanks
Danny
Hi TravellingSmurff, thanks, I have a lot of lithium and solar as charge my Smart Fortwo which is also electric from the motorhome so needs lots 👍
Currently I use a collection of different WiFi switches and relays depending on if I’m switching 12v or 230v. For 12v I use eWeLink ones and for 230v I use the ones in the picture below. Iam slowly migrating them over to using D1 Mini’s ESP32 along with the corresponding 5v relay modules and using ESPHome (part of HA).
IMG_3881.png

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I think dpsuk999 is using Batmon to suck the Bluetooth data from the Fogstar battery and turn it into MQTT messages.

This add-on I'm guessing?
Yes Guigsy thats correct 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back