black and white animation GIF by Boomerang Official

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think sailors are very pedantic about boats and ships, it’s all about the detail. I know if anyone asked my Dad if he was in the Navy he’d always reply “no, the Royal Navy”. We only had Royal Marines, Marines were just stupid Americans.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
in 1984, as a young engineer I stopped to have a cup of tea, as i looked out of the window and downstream along the Thames, I saw HMS Jupiter leaving HMS Belfast, I could see the current in the Thames still coming upstream. As HMS Jupiter started to turn I thought it must have powerful bow and stern thrusters...Nope HMS Jupiter was washed sideways up the Thames an on to London Bridge, I gave the crew their due, they stayed in position along the deck and only ran to the opposite side just as the ship hit the bridge.

Lots of animated movements could be seen on the bridge. Apparently the commander had refused a line to a Tug that would have spun the ship around and avoided a collision. Post aftermath I finished my tea and went back to work.

The Daily Fail has a little more on this Chaps life

Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 17.55.02.png
Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 17.53.59.png

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
A very good friend of mine was the NAAFI Manager on board the ship..he said it spent more time being repaired the actually doing it's job

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
in 1984, as a young engineer I stopped to have a cup of tea, as i looked out of the window and downstream along the Thames, I saw HMS Jupiter leaving HMS Belfast, I could see the current in the Thames still coming upstream. As HMS Jupiter started to turn I thought it must have powerful bow and stern thrusters...Nope HMS Jupiter was washed sideways up the Thames an on to London Bridge, I gave the crew their due, they stayed in position along the deck and only ran to the opposite side just as the ship hit the bridge.

Lots of animated movements could be seen on the bridge. Apparently the commander had refused a line to a Tug that would have spun the ship around and avoided a collision. Post aftermath I finished my tea and went back to work.

The Daily Fail has a little more on this Chaps life

View attachment 931549View attachment 931550
That was my first ship..in 88 though..after escaping being a bubblehead, still had some of the dents in it too

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There used to be a couple of bits of the bridge in the Chief's mess trophy cabinet!
I imagine the numpty who refused a tow never visited the Chief’s mess (or paid attention during his training).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back