LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Logistics Officer. She’s off again tomorrow to join a ship to do ‘something somewhere warm’. We’ve just about got used to not really knowing much till we are told! You can’t help but worry as a parent but.....
Good for her. It’s a great life. Our daughter is serving too and will deploy to a carrier next year. She’s been in 14 years now so we don’t worry as much. It still slightly amazes us to be honest 😂

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Just a question from someone who lives as far from the sea as you can get in England what actually is the difference between a ship and a boat?
Sailing in the Baltic years ago, I was informed by the Scandinavians that a boat has no deck and is open, a ship has a deck. All yachts were called ships and I was often taken aback when asked about my ship!
So to that way of thinking ships had lifeboats but now have lifeships (still called lifeboats though)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wow this thread has caused some bother out of a simple thing like a ship on the sea. :unsure:
Aye but we're all in the Same boat Charlie.

Be nice if everyone agreed but unfortunately that ship has sailed 🤣

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Logistics Officer. She’s off again tomorrow to join a ship to do ‘something somewhere warm’. We’ve just about got used to not really knowing much till we are told! You can’t help but worry as a parent but.....
Our son is now in the Army Reserve. He still gets sent to where he is needed at very short notice. I just don't ask.

His total service is over 20 years, and he also has a full time day job. Luckily his present day job employer is very supportive, which hasn't been the case for previous employers.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That is my son’s dream - logistics officer. I think we’ve persuaded him to finish uni first but he’s spending his summer at Dartmouth doing a summer program with the Navy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
At a rehearsal for an event to be opened by Her Majesty the person playing her part wore a hi-vis jacket with the logo HMTQ. The person taking Prince Phillip's part was HMDE.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Good for her. It’s a great life. Our daughter is serving too and will deploy to a carrier next year. She’s been in 14 years now so we don’t worry as much. It still slightly amazes us to be honest 😂
She's now deployed three times in her first year as a fully trained logistics officer so can't be doing much wrong! It's a great life and she is loving it.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
That is my son’s dream - logistics officer. I think we’ve persuaded him to finish uni first but he’s spending his summer at Dartmouth doing a summer program with the Navy.
Living and doing her pre-joining fitness in Lincolnshire our daughter found running the hills at BRNC a big shock! Any hill running he can do will help to prepare for 'camp sprint' but 'cardiac hill' is something else. Trying to walk up a month after having covid nearly did me in! BRNC is about as concentrated as any training can be but she now realises it was really great as well as hard.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Living and doing her pre-joining fitness in Lincolnshire our daughter found running the hills at BRNC a big shock! Any hill running he can do will help to prepare for 'camp sprint' but 'cardiac hill' is something else. Trying to walk up a month after having covid nearly did me in! BRNC is about as concentrated as any training can be but she now realises it was really great as well as hard.
That’s interesting … He did say this course which seems to be a 9 week condensed flavour of BRNC was ‘type 2 fun’ - it was tough now but that he’d enjoy it in retrospect.

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Do the people that go to sea in 'Boats' still get called 'Fish heads',
'Brown jobs' get called 'Grunts', and the 'Blue jobs' get called 'Penguins'?
Of course these are only a few of the things we called our fellow service compatriots!!
Oh the things we put up with!!!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Do the people that go to sea in 'Boats' still get called 'Fish heads',
'Brown jobs' get called 'Grunts', and the 'Blue jobs' get called 'Penguins'?
Of course these are only a few of the things we called our fellow service compatriots!!
Oh the things we put up with!!!
General Service surface fleet are still Fish Heads, Submariners; Bubble Heads, Fleet Air Arm; WAFUs.
Then we have Crabfats, Pongoes and Bootnecks 😉

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Does he have any carriers left? I don't think so.
The Russian navy's sole aircraft carrier, the unfortunate Admiral Kuznetsov, was supposed to leave the port of Murmansk, in northern Russia, this spring for the first time in seven years. This according to a July 2023 report in Russian state media. Kuznetsov didn't leave.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The Russian navy's sole aircraft carrier, the unfortunate Admiral Kuznetsov, was supposed to leave the port of Murmansk, in northern Russia, this spring for the first time in seven years. This according to a July 2023 report in Russian state media. Kuznetsov didn't leave.
Aha! Your cover is blown! I think you may be a Russian spy,or a double agent,you know a lot about their navy . Perhaps you are planning an exchange of prisoners on SognorMio in the North Sea ,that’s why you’ve been fettling the old girl?? Don’t forget to turn off your transponder. ;) :ROFLMAO::rofl::rofl:.
Sorry for thread drift folks,but it lightens the mornings “discussion”:rofl:

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Just a question from someone who lives as far from the sea as you can get in England what actually is the difference between a ship and a boat?
You can put a boat on a ship but not vice versa. You can put a ship on a ship but usually you have to sink the ship first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back