High Number of Motorhomes in Scotland (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I was there and he did take 3 spaces as no vans would have been able to park

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
How does the NC500 company make it's money ?

One thing that really does piss me off are the coffee shop/cafes. Prices change in the tourist months and how they have the neck to charge over £3 for a cup of tea and over £3.50 for a coffee is beyond me.

I've been out today for a blast on the bike. over to Ullapool and it's very busy, few mohos but no more than usual.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Us Scots don’t hate Motorhome’s we just don’t like some of the behaviour from their owners, we decided to stay at home in Scotland this holiday due to health issues with our dog. I’ve started a post on it and also mentioned the amount of MHs and campervans, have to say the vast majority we’ve seen haven’t done anything to cause offence. We have seen a few empty their grey waste in car parks and other places, we know it’s not really going to do any harm but the general public don’t.
We’re currently on the council Aire at Girvan which charges £10pn with free black and grey waste but it’s says all over the car park for Motorhome’s only and you get a small vw with trailer tent setting up which is going to annoy some locals

Nitram77

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2020
Kettering, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Some, but still alot to learn!!
Us Scots don’t hate Motorhome’s we just don’t like some of the behaviour from their owners, we decided to stay at home in Scotland this holiday due to health issues with our dog. I’ve started a post on it and also mentioned the amount of MHs and campervans, have to say the vast majority we’ve seen haven’t done anything to cause offence. We have seen a few empty their grey waste in car parks and other places, we know it’s not really going to do any harm but the general public don’t.
We’re currently on the council Aire at Girvan which charges £10pn with free black and grey waste but it’s says all over the car park for Motorhome’s only and you get a small vw with trailer tent setting up which is going to annoy some locals
Lovely spot with great views there, in Girvan. We were there last week. Don't miss the Italian Ice Cream shop near the main traffic lights!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This is what the locals don’t like, they were about to set up but someone has spoken to them so not sure if just stopping for a break. Sign all round state it’s for Motorhome’s only not vans or campers.
IMG_1383.jpeg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One thing that really does piss me off are the coffee shop/cafes. Prices change in the tourist months and how they have the neck to charge over £3 for a cup of tea and over £3.50 for a coffee is beyond me.
You need to go to your local Morrisons! Are they still doing free refills from the Costa machine? :whistle2:

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
This is what the locals don’t like, they were about to set up but someone has spoken to them so not sure if just stopping for a break. Sign all round state it’s for Motorhome’s only not vans or campers. View attachment 896436
But what is a camper or a van? Surely PVC types vans can park their?

Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
Go on I'll bite, have stayed on there twice but must be over 10 years ago as we were in the first van
Very very tight, avoid with a mo ho. There is a public carpark with loads of room very nearby. Cost me a load to pay for a new mirror for a trademan's van when I ripped it off with the tail of my mo ho. My fault, should have driven out as soon as I saw the layout but didn't take my own advice.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
But what is a camper or a van? Surely PVC types vans can park their?
Think campers refers to tents, etc and that's what the outfit in Gerry's photo looks like, a people carrier and pop-top caravan / tent. :unsure:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just looked up the history of NC500, very interesting, our now king had a hand in starting it off and now owned by a Dutch guy and the NC500 Ltd made a loss last year so expect more advertising/promoting and more motorhomes that will bring.

How do you make money from a road route?
How does the NC500 company make it's money ?

I've been out today for a blast on the bike. over to Ullapool and it's very busy, few mohos but no more than usual.

That's normal prices. In fact coffee is getting common at £4 in London or other popular places.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Think campers refers to tents, etc and that's what the outfit in Gerry's photo looks like, a people carrier and pop-top caravan / tent. :unsure:

It actually says on the signs your vehicle must be category “M” not sure if a pvc would be in that class but I think it should be.

I’ll take a photo of sign

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why on earth anyone would want to pay £10 to park in a carpark in Girvan is beyond me lol.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think the sign clearly states what is and isn’t allowed, I know some of these might not be legal but common sense tells you to avoid places with them.

IMG_1388.jpeg

As for who would pay £10 to stay in a car park in Girvan, we have and the reason being they offer free black waste dump and fresh water for free so paying £10 as a thank you and a place to stay is worth it in my opinion.

I could drive to the end of town and use the lay-by after emptying and filling but that’s not the spirt of it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thing is, there are many motor vehicles on the road that have EXACTLY the same
equipment within them that say, our A Class Pilote has but, (BIG!!! BUT), DVLA,
those paragons of decision making, have decided that even mass manufactured
vehicles are not 'Motor Caravans, ie those described as 'Cat M' (as per the above
sign,) but rather 'Vans with Windows'.

I can see many a jobsworth with the power complex of a RiechsMinister getting off
on issuing tickets galore.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mine is registered as a Motor Caravan category N1

Even after conversion and re registered as a Motor Caravan . the DVLA will not change the category to M1
Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 18.20.33.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thing is, there are many motor vehicles on the road that have EXACTLY the same
equipment within them that say, our A Class Pilote has but, (BIG!!! BUT), DVLA,
those paragons of decision making, have decided that even mass manufactured
vehicles are not 'Motor Caravans, ie those described as 'Cat M' (as per the above
sign,) but rather 'Vans with Windows'.

I can see many a jobsworth with the power complex of a RiechsMinister getting off
on issuing tickets galore.

Whoever wrote the wording for the sign was not very well-versed in the terminology used by DVLA.

'Motorhome' is not used by them.

On a V5C there is D.5 Body type, where could be inserted 'MOTOR CARAVAN' or 'VAN WITH WINDOWS'

At paragraph J Vehicle category is where, if at all, one would find 'M' or 'N', but many people have reported that this paragraph is often left empty by DVLA, together with many other paragraphs. [It was on my V5C]

Therefore even if the driver were present when asked to prove the vehicle's category and had the V5C with him, any owner of a genuine MH could not show the wording 'Cat M Motorhome', as per the sign.

However, an ignorant and/or officious attendant might point to the word 'Caravan' and allege that the vehicle is banned.

The sign also begs the question as to what the attendant does in absence of seeing the V5C. Will they be trained to make assessments of Vehicle categories and 'Body type'? DVLA have enough trouble getting these right, so what hope is there of a Parking Attendant doing so?

I assume all vans before conversion are given Category 'N' but even if the converted van were classified as 'Van with windows' I would think that with furniture inside it would no longer be capable of carrying goods so its 'Vehicle category' should be changed from 'N' to 'M'

Yet another Council creating a minefield.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I think you'll find Scotland DIDN'T want the nc500 , the road and area was perfectly good before the millionaire named it that to make more money. Worst thing that ever happened. And trust me most of the locals don't care if tourists visit or not . Only the businesses that make money from them do.

And they're not alone , it seems the rest of the world also have problems in tourist areas .
Think you’ll find it wasn’t a millionaire but YOUR SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT
that helped pen the NC500 , they then shut all the toilets , and they wonder why people pee & poo all over the place & I ain’t talking about MoHo’s

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We are up near Lairg atm and we only said to each other today how quiet it seems on the motorhome/campervan front. I seriously don’t ever remember it being so less busy from all the years we’ve been coming up here. 🤔

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Think you’ll find it wasn’t a millionaire but YOUR SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT
that penned the NC500 , they then shut all the toilets , and they wonder why people pee & poo all over the place & I ain’t talking about MoHo’s
No it was a daft English Prince who started it off. And then they sold it to a private individual, am individual they've also allowed to buy up the most land in Scotland which should never ever have been allowed either.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think the sign is badly worded and I don’t think anyone would be bothered if a camper van stayed as couple of VWs in tonight, I think bringing a folding camper is taking the P though and will get these places closed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back