Hi (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer 512
Hello All,

I have a LHD Hymer 512 on a Transit chassis. My plan is to use it in Europe before the year is out, as it's a bit of a nightmare driving it on narrow Irish country roads with all the blindspots. I am also looking forward to visiting a few countries with toilet emptying facilities!

That said, the Transits sadly seem to have a reputation for corroding underneath the van. In order to prevent this, I'd like to get the underside prefessionally treated. That is, sandblasted if necessary, then sprayed with the 5 year oil stuff to inhibit corrosion.
A guy I met out on a walk was going to give me the phone number of a guy who does it here. I just asked how much he charges. He said €3500. Not everybody who owns a camper is a millionaire, despite some other people's deluded perceptions. I never did take his number.

So...has anybody experience of getting their camper treated underneath while abroad? Because I'll actually have the time, it would seem like a good idea to find a place which charges reasonably.
France, Spain or Portugal I'm thinking.

If anyone has any good leads please let me know!

Happy camping everyone :)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Some garages don't do a very good job, they blast it on quickly and take your money. Even if you pay more there's no guarantee they will be thorough. I would either do it myself or put the money towards a better van, the later Sevel and Mercedes vans are galvanised underneath, doesn't last forever but better than the rot box transits.

:WelcomeFlag:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back