Hi from someone stuck in Alaska (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

JamesofNewbury

Free Member
Jul 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,

I've just joined the forum while waiting for my third rescheduled flight out of Anchorage. Delta, who I'm hoping one day will get me back to England, seem to have been the worst affected Airline by the Microsoft glitch.

Anyway, having stayed in my brother-in-law's gigantic trailer for a bit of our holiday, which had a fireplace and more space than some flats, I've been bitten by the luxury camping bug. He has a lifted V8 truck and his trailer is too long for English roads, but I'd be happy with a compact motorhome.

I dream of taking my two sons skiing and mountain biking in it so I'm looking for something winterised. Anyway, it'll be a couple of years before I can afford it but I thought I'd join the forum so the dream seems a bit closer.

James

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome here. Hopefully not too long before we say welcome home. :LOL:

We lived at Burghfield Common for well over a decade so know Newbury well. I also flew Delta many time from UK to Atlanta in the late 80's and 90's. Alway an OK airline and certainly better than BA at the time.

When you come to buying, I believe it's generally only the continental vans that are available fully winterised. Never come across a fully winterised UK built van, but to be fair have never looked that hard. You need to check that it has a double floor with inboard tanks as well as full insulation.

Good luck with the flight home.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Safe travels in the near and distant future...

Welcome to the Fun House

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:HelloThere:And
:WelcomeFlag:

Hope you get home soon, and enjoy searching for your first van.

Both our Hymers have been fully winterised. (Being a girl I have no idea what that means) :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….

We lived at Burghfield Common for well over a decade so know Newbury well. I also flew Delta many time from UK to Atlanta in the late 80's and 90's. Alway an OK airline and certainly better than BA at the time.

When you come to buying, I believe it's generally only the continental vans that are available fully winterised. Never come across a fully winterised UK built van, but to be fair have never looked that hard. You need to check that it has a double floor with inboard tanks as well as full insulation.

Took me about 3-4 years of looking before I bought one😁😁the one I bought however was not the one I decided on buying😁😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f

Hope your flight turns up before the snow flies do.
Sounds like a great plan you have, lots of research needed and this is a good place to start.
Check out the buyers guide in resources, it has masses of useful information and is a great guide to making an informed decision.
Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on here too.

OP
OP
JamesofNewbury

JamesofNewbury

Free Member
Jul 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

Thanks, I've reached Seattle and will be in Newbury before too long. Delta is good but they were particularly badly hit by the IT bug, especially in Alaska as there weren't many crews on hand to man the planes.

Thanks for the advice about the double floors. Hymer seem to make their models winterised and I've seen a few old models on eBay etc. I'm considering getting a C1 licence. It's annoying the D1 licence is a separate thing as I could ask work if they'd help pay for that course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back