Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Huawei mifi and 4G roof aerial which works well for us in Europe and we were getting UK TV programmes easily. Last spring we had plenty of data via IQ Go, but that has now sadly stopped. Therefore I am planning to buy pre-loaded local short term SIMs to put into the mifi. As I understand it that will mean that I will need to use a VPN in order to get UK TV.

So my question is how can that be installed in the mifi? I suspect we will be getting more than one local SIM as we move around, so does the VPN need to be reinstalled each time I change the SIM?

Can I get a VPN that works for short periods or do all of them want a year's subscription? And finally what VPNS can you recommend for simplicity and cost?

Both of us have 12Gb roaming each from Smarty, which will be OK for calls and everyday browsing. It is the TV coverage will need more.

Many thanks for your help

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Do you use a Firestick? Although I setup to use NordVPN on our router (Teltonika unfortunately so can’t help with your specific question) I’ve since found it easier to control and use when on individual devices, including the Firestick, phones, tablet and laptop. IIRC a Nord account allows up to ten devices within a family to be connected.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Are you using a smart TV? If so it is unlikely that you will be able to install the VPN app directly on the TV. This means you either have to VPN enable your router, or, as has been suggested, use a device like a Firestick plugged into an HDMI port on the TV, so long as that device allows you to install your choice of VPN app on it.

I use a Beryl router with my Starlink and it is possible, though a bit techie, to enable this to use my Surfshark VPN service. It may be that you could also do this with your router, so I would suggest doing some Google searches

The choice of VPN is also very important for streaming as all are not equally good at evading detection by the streaming companies. We use Surfshark which is a sister company of NordVPN, and this works well for most services. We have used it successfully for Netflix, iPlayer, ITVx, and SkySports app, but it didn't work with Amazon Prime which detected a VPN in use and refused to play.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a ZTE MU5001 and unfortunately you can’t put a vpn on that but I just run Surfshark on iPads, iPhone and Firestick.You can buy different periods but the longer you buy the cheaper it is.
I’ve found that iplayer wouldn’t work with surfshark but changing to ‘small packet’ that sorted it.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We use Express VPN, easy to instal, use it on firestick no problem with all channels and Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you all.

My TV is not smart but I do use a firestick plugged into it for getting the UK TV programmes via my Mifi when in Europe. We normally use it for BBC, ITV, Channels 4 and 5 and other ones such as Dave and Yesterday. Only need it for the TV because our Smarty SIMs work for everything else we need.

So how do go about loading it the VPN onto the firestick? Do they give you detailed instructions?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I have the ‘uploader’ app on my Firestick to install any third party apps but you can probably do it directly by searching for the Nord (or whatever VPN you are going to use) on the Amazon App Store on the Firestick and downloading from there.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Personally I think a decent VPN is worth paying for, at the end of the day the developers have to make a living, I used to use Nord which was excellent but unfortunately their business model is such that they keep increasing the price until you cancel, then keep sending you emails offering you a 50% discount if you come back, not for me so i'm currently with surfshark which works well and was much more competitive, we'll see at renewal if they have the same business model or actually appreciate their customers staying with them. With regard to installing a VPN on a firestick, the following video shows how to install surfshark but the procedure will be the same for other VPN's.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We use Express VPN on our phones, tablets and firestick. Works great wherever we go in Europe. Just search for and install 'downloader' on your firestick. Then use this to find and download Express vpn or any other vpn. You can then add any app or channel to a list on the vpn. So when you start the firestick you go to the vpn and find the channel you want to view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you all.

My TV is not smart but I do use a firestick plugged into it for getting the UK TV programmes via my Mifi when in Europe. We normally use it for BBC, ITV, Channels 4 and 5 and other ones such as Dave and Yesterday. Only need it for the TV because our Smarty SIMs work for everything else we need.

So how do go about loading it the VPN onto the firestick? Do they give you detailed instructions?
Just download the app on the firestick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back