Help with DVLA Registration & Import Inconsistencies Please? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegagus
Hi there,

Excuse my ignorance on this, but not had to deal with imports before.

I've been offered a MK1 sprinter, 2003 416 (4.5 tonne gross) 4x4, it's RHD but speedo is in KM.

It was first registered in the UK in 2016. Guy says it's a 2.7 engine but the Gov tax check shows it as a 2.1.

It has a 2013 plate on it (13), which should be age related right (03)?

He says it was also in correctly registered as a 3.5t & 2.1 litre on the log look, but has had the paperwork check for a camper (what ever that means), and it shows on the tax check as being a Motor Caravan.

I'm trying to work out what's going on, I like the van from the pics and seems sound & and price is OK but needed a 4.5+ tonne for the build and seems like a lot of inconsistencies.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Vanhere22
Jul 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegagus
For info

Screenshot from 2024-07-11 13-57-47.png

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Too many inconsistencies.

Personally I would walk away and as dealers now have excess stock something else will come along soon.

Many years ago I looked at a Mercedes car and I thought it was at least two cars and not one. When I said I wasn't interested the seller became aggressive and abusive so I was glad to leave. I reported it to the police and I was correct, the car on sale was made up of several vehicles, some stolen and some from a scrap yard. I know nothing much about cars but a VIN plate that is screwed in place is a slight give away.

OP
OP
Vanhere22
Jul 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegagus
Thanks, yes think you're right there. Too many things not adding up, I don't think it would be taxable without a long battle with the DVLA to get log book fixed. And who know's what happened with the the reg number.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have you checked the MOT status?

Does the number plate actually belong to that vehicle?

Sorry but I am smelling several rats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
The dvla have been known to 'accidently' register Van's to the import date so a 1990s van gets a 2021 reg etc but as that info states 2003 then something is not right 🤔

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi there,

Excuse my ignorance on this, but not had to deal with imports before.

I've been offered a MK1 sprinter, 2003 416 (4.5 tonne gross) 4x4, it's RHD but speedo is in KM.

It was first registered in the UK in 2016. Guy says it's a 2.7 engine but the Gov tax check shows it as a 2.1.

It has a 2013 plate on it (13), which should be age related right (03)?

He says it was also in correctly registered as a 3.5t & 2.1 litre on the log look, but has had the paperwork check for a camper (what ever that means), and it shows on the tax check as being a Motor Caravan.

I'm trying to work out what's going on, I like the van from the pics and seems sound & and price is OK but needed a 4.5+ tonne for the build and seems like a lot of inconsistencies.

Any thoughts?
I'm with everyone else but send a link or pics for further comments from the gallery

OP
OP
Vanhere22
Jul 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegagus
I'm with everyone else but send a link or pics for further comments from the gallery

I did put a pic of the "Vehicle Enquiry" info up but can post it again if people can't see it. The MOT checker doesn't have anything other than the reg and pass/fail info.

I think maybe it's a dodgy plate... He's pretty evasive about questions so I'm gonna try to get him to post a pic of the log book.

Screenshot from 2024-07-11 13-57-47.png

OP
OP
Vanhere22
Jul 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegagus
The dvla have been known to 'accidently' register Van's to the import date so a 1990s van gets a 2021 reg etc but as that info states 2003 then something is not right 🤔
Thanks, yes. Registered date is 2016, manufactured date is 2003. Plate is 2013.

Also there is no revenue weight on the vehicle info, I've asked the AI thing on the search here; Revenue Weight Unavailable

"Conclusion

In summary, the DVLA Revenue Weight is not always available or easily accessible. If you are trying to obtain this information, it is recommended that you contact the DVLA directly and be prepared to try multiple times to get a response. Additionally, you may need to obtain a weight certificate from a council weighbridge to determine the Revenue Weight of your vehicle."

I love the way even AI thinks the DVLA are hard to deal with :)

Last edited:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Can you post the Reg so we can check the MOT history?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back