Help what does Reverse polarity mean

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
My sensors on a site I've just arrived at came up with this sign

Google states it can cause umpteen problems including fures! n I'm here for 2 days no electricity as I'm to frightened to death

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Reversed polarity is common on the continent and is not a problem. European (non UK) motorhomes normally have double pole breakers so it makes no difference. Unusual to find it on a UK site.
That's what the site electrician stated. So 2 5 hrs if his time, he was scratching his head, after plugs were switched n leads changed, All FREE OF CHARGE! NICE GUY PHILLIP. Thank you for yr help inreassuring this oap haha

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have one of these, which is a quick and easy test for any mains electrical faults, including reverse polarity. It's like a standard mains plug, but it has no wires, and there are three LEDs on the back. To test your mains, you simply plug it into any of your mains sockets and look at the LEDs.The LED pattern shows if the wiring is correct. If it's not correct, it shows what the fault is.

It will show up a Reverse Polarity fault. More importantly, it will show up a Missing Earth fault, which I would take much more seriously.

When you first get this tester, you can go round all the sockets in the motorhome, checking that they are all wired correctly. Once that's done, you can be confident that if it finds a problem, then the fault is in the hookup cable or the hookup post, not your motorhome sockets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
All sorted for plug it will be at my home address on Monday. Thanks so much for yr help n concerns. I really do appreciated yr kind time in this matter. What will I ever do without YOU learned guys/ladies? Out there ! Haha

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I don’t check for it as I have read so many posts saying it’s nothing to worry about that I choose to believe them. I ignore all the ones that say it’s a problem or start getting technical. I think this is probably your best bet. I haven’t got electrocuted yet.

Prior to motorhoming I knew that electricity plus water was bad and poking toasters and electric sockets with forks and knives wasn’t a good idea. It never would have occurred to me that I could suddenly safely start doing it in a van , reverse polarity or not.

Try to just enjoy your travels.
Yes but you know a few good doctors
All sorted for plug it will be at my home address on Monday. Thanks so much for yr help n concerns. I really do appreciated yr kind time in this matter. What will I ever do without YOU learned guys/ladies? Out there ! Haha
As you don't seem to be enjoying it as your continuously

Scared
Worried
Nervous

Maybe this would be more comfortable :wink:
And it's got a hot tub

https://www.booking.com/Share-MK4pkW

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For the Sparkies amongst us,
The most likely place to find bollards with reverse polarity in on the European mainland.
It's also the only place where I have come across domestic two pin sockets on bollards.

If you put in the two pin plug the other way up, would the polarity then be the correct way around ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes but you know a few good doctors

As you don't seem to be enjoying it as your continuously

Scared
Worried
Nervous

Maybe this would be more comfortable :wink:
And it's got a hot tub

https://www.booking.com/Share-MK4pkW
Some of us have been camping since before we could walk.

We have a lifetime of knowledge on how to be comfortable and relaxed in a camping environment,
whether that is in a hike tent at 4,000m in the Himalayas,
a hammock and tarp in the middle of a snowy Scottish forest,
or in a motorhome with electricity, running water, shower, TV and aircon on a luxury Mediterranean camping resort.

Others have not.

But they can learn as long as they are not put off the entire idea.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
For the Sparkies amongst us,
The most likely place to find bollards with reverse polarity in on the European mainland.
It's also the only place where I have come across domestic two pin sockets on bollards.

If you put in the two pin plug the other way up, would the polarity then be the correct way around ?
Yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes and no. There are two kinds of 'two pin' socket. One type, as used in France, has a reverse earth pin sticking out of the socket, and it makes the plug non-reversible. The other type, as used in Germany, Spain and most other countries, has no reverse earth pin, but has two earthing clips top and bottom. That type is reversible.

The live pin should be on the right as you look into the socket. If it's not, you can reverse the plug which will bring the 'reversed polarity' of the connection back to its correct 'polarity'.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I should add a however. You really should have a proper earth and a two pin doesn't give you one. Your RCD should still protect you if there is a fault, but you may find some equipment, especially audio gear, is not keen on no earth. A lot is fine. If teh device has the figure of 8 power connection, then it's not looking for an earth as its double insulated. However, anything with a three pin plug where the earth pin is metal, should only be used earthed.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Can we be clear, those 'two pin sockets' have two pins for live and neutral, and also a robust method of earthing. In the French socket, there is an earth pin sticking out of the socket, which makes the earth connection. In the German/Spanish socket, there are two metal earthing clips that mate with corresponding metal pieces on the plug, to make an earth connection. Most 'two-pin' plugs are designed to be compatible with both socket types.

There is a flat two-pin 'Euro' plug that is used for some low power double-insulated devices like chargers, which don't have an earth, and don't require an earth. I hope nobody would ever try to power a motorhome through one of those.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I answered based on my own experience in France where the socket was neither of those and simply took a two pin Euro plug. I have a feeing it was down near La Rochelle somewhere. I opted to no hook up!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Can we be clear, those 'two pin sockets' have two pins for live and neutral, and also a robust method of earthing. In the French socket, there is an earth pin sticking out of the socket, which makes the earth connection. In the German/Spanish socket, there are two metal earthing clips that mate with corresponding metal pieces on the plug, to make an earth connection. Most 'two-pin' plugs are designed to be compatible with both socket types.

There is a flat two-pin 'Euro' plug that is used for some low power double-insulated devices like chargers, which don't have an earth, and don't require an earth. I hope nobody would ever try to power a motorhome through one of those.
You have obviously not visited a German campsite at the height of summer!
;)

I used to be a Roadie, I've seen entire stage systems wired up where the fuses were replaced with nails.
But I've never seen more shocking wiring, than the single bollard in the middle with 20+ motorhomes linked up, with multiple splitters on splitters all branching off to domestic extension cable reels running the beadmaker and the expresso machine.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen entire stage systems wired up where the fuses were replaced with nails.
Not nails but I found main incomer fuses wrapped in multiple layers of tinfoil at a village hall event! (Not ours). I think the festivals have got it sorted now, but going back a few years, I plugged a lighting desk in and it was most unhappy. Check the power, reverse polarity, no earth (although the earth pin was present)! I had been happily rigging lamps from the bars in the assumption that power delivered on CeeForms would be fine. None of the structure had been earth either! I know the show must go on, but sometimes you have to wonder! All it needed was for the genny set to be earthed through a rod.

It's a bit like it taking a couple of disasters before people running outdoor events had to take wind speed into account!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not nails but I found main incomer fuses wrapped in multiple layers of tinfoil at a village hall event! (Not ours). I think the festivals have got it sorted now, but going back a few years, I plugged a lighting desk in and it was most unhappy. Check the power, reverse polarity, no earth (although the earth pin was present)! I had been happily rigging lamps from the bars in the assumption that power delivered on CeeForms would be fine. None of the structure had been earth either! I know the show must go on, but sometimes you have to wonder! All it needed was for the genny set to be earthed through a rod.

It's a bit like it taking a couple of disasters before people running outdoor events had to take wind speed into account!
Another standard Rodie trick was to remove the earth wire, particularly to speakers, as it stops the 'Rattle & Hum'.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You have obviously not visited a German campsite at the height of summer!
;)

I used to be a Roadie, I've seen entire stage systems wired up where the fuses were replaced with nails.
But I've never seen more shocking wiring, than the single bollard in the middle with 20+ motorhomes linked up, with multiple splitters on splitters all branching off to domestic extension cable reels running the beadmaker and the expresso machine.
As weary as may seem, those spaghetti cables are more relibly protected then a reverse polarity on a UK wiring system. Reason being, they use double pole 30 mA RCD, and Germany has banned AC type RCD for a long time. UK is behind and just catching up. Yes now in UK are no longer used AC type RCD, a minimum A type for domestic, and caravan sites has to be double pole. Also an electrode of 20ohms or less for faults.

On the OP issue, if the electrician turned up and tested the supply end ( bollard) then He should picked up the fault fairly easy. If the issue is on the van side, it's not their responsibility, as they are covered.
What I would do, if I have a reverse polarity, don't sweat, just go to the van distribution and press the test button on the double pole RCD. If it works, I carry on. Thats me.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just to add, in a mobile install, switch gear degrades due to external factors much faster, that a fixed domestic dwelling install. In a fixed install with the appropriate IP ratings met, the RCD should be tested every 6 months, it used to be 3. In a mobile install, and for the reasons given above, I would test every 2 months. A RCD is the only additional protection that protects you against electrocution, and the earth will deal with faults.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Another standard Rodie trick was to remove the earth wire, particularly to speakers, as it stops the 'Rattle & Hum'.
Removing an earth loop takes out the hum. Earth one end or the other, but not both. I carry two short XLR-m to XLR-f with the screen disconnected at one end for that specific reason.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back