Help what does Reverse polarity mean

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
My sensors on a site I've just arrived at came up with this sign

Google states it can cause umpteen problems including fures! n I'm here for 2 days no electricity as I'm to frightened to death

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
It means your Live and Neutral are crossed, or your Pos and Neg on your EHU. If your not plugged up you have no worries as other reply, things will still work reversed as its AC voltage, you can buy cross over lead or make one, put that between your EHU hook up and MH.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
What it means is that the live and the neutral are the wrong way round. Extremely unlikely to cause you a problem unless you start dismantling things. Motors will not run backwards, not if it's metered will the meter run backwards. I would avoid using any all metal appliances. Easy to get a polarity corrector that sits between your EHU lead and the van. Example

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
My sensors on a site I've just arrived at came up with this sign

Google states it can cause umpteen problems including fures! n I'm here for 2 days no electricity as I'm to frightened to death
As Just sniffy says it's no problem unless you decide to touch bare wires or take electrical items apart whilst they are plugged.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just use everything you would normally use!

just dont dismantle anything while its still plugged into the mains and you will be fine .... it really isnt a problem

where are you? i assume over the water somewhere .... if in the uk speak to the site owner/manager - of course if in the UK it might just be your 'sensor' that is telling you its wrong, when in fact it isnt ....

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL

just dont dismantle anything while its still plugged into the mains and you will be fine .... it really isnt a problem

where are you? i assume over the water somewhere .... if in the uk speak to the site owner/manager - of course if in the UK it might just be your 'sensor' that is telling you its wrong, when in fact it isnt ....
Pretty sure the OP said in another thread that she is at a site at Brecon.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I know it's been said already but to reinforce the point and hopefully help put your mind at rest - reverse polarity is not an issue unless you intend to start poking about inside electrical equipment without disconnecting it, which is always a daft idea even with the correct polarity.

To put it simply the 'A' in AC means alternating: the current reverses itself 50 times a second all the time, so your mains electrical equipment doesn't care.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The water in your kettle will freeze.
The bread in your toaster will turn to dough.
The food in your microwave will also freeze.
Any 230v lights will become darker.
Your TV will show films backwards.

Reverse polarity.....no problem in everyday use.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Reverse polarity used to be a problem before modern protection devices became available. There will be an 'RCD' device in your motorhome electrics box that protects the user from electric shock. Because of that device, there is very little extra risk if the 'polarity' is reversed.

The question is, if the person who wired it could get a simple thing like that wrong, what else has he got wrong?

It's not something that can happen through wear and tear, or a simple fault, it must have been wired wrong from the start. You should complain to the site manager, that installation should not have passed its inspection.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In Europe there is no reversed polarity, electricians don't care which way the live and neutral are wired.
But ... They use double pole switches and breakers, unlike the UK who normally use single pole switching the live wire only.
That means when you throw a switch to OFF both wires are isolated at the switch or breaker, unlike the UK where only the positive/live wire is isolated.
When reversed the (unstitched) neutral becomes the (unstitched) live and live becomes the neutral and that is switched leaving the appliance still live....it won't work because the other wire is isolated breaking the circuit but start fishing toast from the toaster with a fork etc it WILL bite you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Thank you. Electrician on site has
As Just sniffy says it's no problem unless you decide to touch bare wires or take electrical items apart whilst they are plugged.
Taken sockets apart n he can't see a reason why. He's been here nearly 1.5 trying to help me, what a nice guy Philip is but he's scratched his head too, n has no idea why this has happened but as I have an automatic trip switch he says its safe to be in van ! Phewww

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
I'm.plugged into a cmc site
Now, that is scary, not for you though, as others have said in normal usage it's not going to turn your fridge into an oven, but, it does want reporting to the site warden, they will probably want to come and have a look.

Edited for typo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Sad
It means your Live and Neutral are crossed, or your Pos and Neg on your EHU. If your not plugged up you have no worries as other reply, things will still work reversed as its AC voltage, you can buy cross over lead or make one, put that between your EHU hook up and MH.
Thank you for above n yr quick response too.
Electrician on site has been our been over, as I AS I AM.PLUGGED in.

He's checked wiring n all is good. I've been travelling to various 6 sites over past 2 weeks n nothing like this has come up.
But EE Has reassured me that I'm.Safe!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp

I'm in uk Market Harborough Fishing lakes n Yes site electrician has been helpful, albeit he has checked things out n all is well on wiring. But reassured me om SAFE which is all I've ever wanted to hear, as I'm Alone single oap traveller,n worry enormously

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Now, that is scary, not for you though, as others have said in normal usage it's not going to turn your fridge into an oven, but, it does want reporting to the site warden, they will probably want to come and have a look.

Edited for typo.
Yes dude electrician has been here for past 1.5hrs,non wiser after checking everything.
But he said I'm safe as my Bentley has an automatic trip box I won't go on fire phewww

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Reversed polarity is common on the continent and is not a problem. European (non UK) motorhomes normally have double pole breakers so it makes no difference. Unusual to find it on a UK site.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t check for it as I have read so many posts saying it’s nothing to worry about that I choose to believe them. I ignore all the ones that say it’s a problem or start getting technical. I think this is probably your best bet. I haven’t got electrocuted yet.

Prior to motorhoming I knew that electricity plus water was bad and poking toasters and electric sockets with forks and knives wasn’t a good idea. It never would have occurred to me that I could suddenly safely start doing it in a van , reverse polarity or not.

Try to just enjoy your travels.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Reversed polarity is common on the continent and is not a problem. European (non UK) motorhomes normally have double pole breakers so it makes no difference. Unusual to find it on a UK site.
All caravans and motorhomes, including UK ones, are supposed to have double pole breaker MCBs, (not single-pole as found in UK domestic boxes in a house), and an RCD for shock protection. Older UK motorhomes, and some DIY conversions where the converter didn't know the regulations, can sometimes not have those protections.

Adding these protections if they are missing should be a high priority. Reverse polarity can be dangerous without them.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Grab yourself one of these for your travels.If the problem arises again, simply plug this into the post and then plug your cable into it.
Safe and happy travels.

Screenshot_20241025_171206_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry if you’ve mentioned above but why did you call the electrician? Was it a sign that said it was reverse polarity or did you notice something not quite right?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the electrician was looking in your van & you have not had the problem before then he was looking in the wrong place.It would either be your cable wired incorrectly or the site post with the wires reversed

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I never check nowadays. I did 20 odd years ago when caravanning abroad and had a reverse lead made up to stopover. But it’s not really an issue now with the inbuilt protection systems.

Mind you, I would be concerned about the competence of the electrician if he can’t figure it out. 😳😳

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back